Axiom Home Page
1) What's the longest you folks have run HDMI? I may some runs that reach (or exceed) 100'. Both Monoprice and BJC seem to have 100', so I'm assuming that it may actually work.

2) If an HDMI cable doesn't specifically say 1.3a, should I really care?

3) I will be running spare CAT5 cables all over the house. If necessary, I will use video baluns (like Muxlab) in the future if I missed something. Has anyone used these? If so, how was it? I know, some may say just run the extra HDMI/component/etc cable, but this is for those 'I forgot' scenarios.
I know that monoprice brand hdmi is great for short to medium runs, but am not sure about lenths upwards of 100'. Someone else may chime in with more experience.

Is is possible to shorten the distance between the two components you are connecting?
Blue Jeans are tested beyond 100 feet. I have also read sucessfull installs of up to 100 feet. I would email BJC on the exact product model on the cable to use in instances of very long lengths. I know BJC/Belden hold the record in regards to this.
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/belden-blue-jeans-cable-shatter-hdmi-record
I run a 45' Belden HDMI cable from BlueJeansCable with no issues at all.. that's half of what you are running..but BJC tested a Belden cable at 125' with no problems whatsoever.
I did some quick measurements and it appears that I can live w/ runs < 50' so Monoprice it is!
I have a 40' run doing video only. Works fine at 1080p.
Murph
Did you do your 40' run w/ Monoprice or BJC?

Most of my runs range from 35' to 50'. For the BJC Series I, it comes to around $921 for all the cables I need. For Monoprice, it's $615. I'm tempted to just suck it up and spend the extra $300 for piece of mind because these are HDMI cables for in wall purposes and once they are in, the roof will be installed over it. Is my thinking sound?

Normally I just go to Monoprice and don't even think about it. But for 50' runs, I don't want to cheap out now and regret it a few years later. Granted, I will test all the cables before they get installed.
I say do what you feel more comfortable with. Personally, I like the BJC HDMI Series 1 that I have for my 45' foot run connecting my BD player to my LCD tv. I'm sure both cables will do the job, but I feel better about the Belden cable, this is just my personal opinion, nothing more.
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Murph
Did you do your 40' run w/ Monoprice or BJC?

Most of my runs range from 35' to 50'. For the BJC Series I, it comes to around $921 for all the cables I need. For Monoprice, it's $615. I'm tempted to just suck it up and spend the extra $300 for piece of mind because these are HDMI cables for in wall purposes and once they are in, the roof will be installed over it. Is my thinking sound?

Normally I just go to Monoprice and don't even think about it. But for 50' runs, I don't want to cheap out now and regret it a few years later. Granted, I will test all the cables before they get installed.

I say that in a year, you won't remember that $300. I'd go for it. Plus, I am now a fan of the BJC owner with his "Rage against the machine" attitude in dealing with Monster's strong arm tactics.
I just did my BJC order. Within 20 minutes of ordering, I got the email that it shipped. THAT is service.
30 minutes later...

::....Ding...Dong!!!....::

"UPS, sir....I have a delivery......"
Sorry for a late reply.
All the speaker wire in my house is a mix of 12 gauge Home Depot bulk cable (cheap for local but soooo stiff and awkward to work with that you actually have to wear gloves or risk cutting yourself and it's hard to run) and Monoprice cable.

The Monoprice ended up being cheaper per foot, even after getting it to Canada. It was wonderful to work with and even had an outer sheathing. All for cheaper than the Home Depot, fingerbleeder wire..
Well it seems I'm late to this party as you've already ordered and it's already shipped. However I will say that I have no problems what-so-ever dropping 10 bucks on a 6 foot HDMI cable and sleeping like a baby. I don't personally think there are any differences in short run HDMI cables, so why spend more on them? However, for longer runs, and expecially for permanent installs like the one you're doing, I would probably have opted to spend the extra cash for piece of mind if nothing else. I probably would loose a lot of sleep once I came to the point of no return and they bolted up the ceiling and my decision was then unchangeable. For this reason I would spend the cash to make sure it's right.

But that's just me.
© Axiom Message Boards