Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Riker No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 02:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Just got my new EP500 sub today. There is no trim button on the amp, just a " subsonic filter" with an ON or OFF position. The instructions that came with the sub contradict themselves, first the picture of the amp shows no Trim or Bypass setting, but Step 7 in the instructions refer to Trim: Flat, Load and Remote and Step 3 refers to "bypass" .. both are not present on the amp ? ?

New amp ? or old amp ? and no explanation of "subsonic filter" in the instructions..I'm guessing it's a room boundary switch ? Don't know..

Also, since the EP500 has been out since 2005.. has there been any firmware updates via it's USB port ?
Posted By: JohnK Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 02:58 AM
Stephane, I've found the trim setting on my almost three year old EP500 to be very useful in balancing the bass output by compensating for room gain in small and average rooms. As I indicated in a thread on this point some months ago, dropping the feature was surprising to me and the subsonic filter doesn't duplicate its effect. Obviously Axiom should supply a manual(or a supplement)which accurately describes the current features.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:18 AM
Stephane, updates are not available in the field, I checked on that years ago. I actually did some testing for Axiom using a flash software they provided. In the end, they said this would be accomplished by them at Axiom.

I think Axiom did change their design and no longer have a trim design, with the addition of a subsonic filter. I'm not sure why the documentation has not been updated. I would try calling them...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:26 AM
I wonder what the advantages of the new amps are over the old ones?
Posted By: Riker Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:29 AM
Ok Thanks Guys.. so the Trim is gone, the USB port has never been used, and the documentation needs to be updated..

I will give them a call to let them know .. at least the manual should be up to date.. it's funny because the picture / diagram does not show a trim button or a bypass setting on the xover. but the " steps" do talk about trim, bypass but not subsonic switch..
Posted By: Riker Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I wonder what the advantages of the new amps are over the old ones?

So, I'm guessing I have a "new" amp because of the missing Trim and bypass setting ?

Maybe if Alan is in the neighbourhood he could shed some light ?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:31 AM
Hi Riker,

You do indeed have the newer amp version of the EP500. Alan mentioned this a few months ago that the EP500's that are now shipping do not have the trim setting anymore and that a subsonic filter was added... and of course you should have received an updated version of the EP500 owners manual to reflect this current feature set...
Posted By: Riker Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:39 AM
Thank you Dr.House.. so now I know I have the latest version of the amp. The owner's manual on the Axiom web site still shows a trim level and bypass setting, and my paper copy that came with the sub is a " hybrid " version.. picture reflects back of amp..instructions reflect old amp with trim and bypass. I guess the manual is in a transition from old amp to new amp.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:44 AM
From what I recall the new version of the EP500 amp is identical in performance to the older amps. IIRC the only thing that was changed was the gain control was tweaked to offer more flexbility and that a subsonic filter was added and the trim setting removed.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 12:50 PM
There must be some improvements gained from removing the trim and added the subsonic filter. If it resulted in no change I don't think Axiom would waste the time to do it.
Posted By: Riker Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 02:59 PM
Hey Guys

I called and talked to Brent. Here is the scoop:

The Subsonic Filter switch is a Low Pass filter that cuts off any sound below 20hz. I was told that this should be active when using a Turntable or sometimes in television broadcasts where there are artifacts below 20hz. The Trim level did the same thing, execpt it was more flexible in choosing the frequency affected. So, the subsonic filter replaces the trim level but only for frequencies below 20hz.

Everything else is exactly the same in terms of the amplifier and all the other features. The subsonic filter for trim change is the only change made.

They are aware that the instructions are not consistent and are working on changing them ASAP.

So there you have it..

Steph
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 03:29 PM
dang Marketing guys, always behind. Just enjoy your sub. \:\)
Posted By: alan Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 04:02 PM
Hi Riker,

At this very minute, I'm editing and re-writing the manuals for the EP400, 500, 600 and 800. Sorry you got a hybrid version of the EP500 manual and thanks for pointing out the discrepancies in the diagram and text.

If Brent called it a "low-pass filter", he's incorrect. It's very confusing, but a subsonic filter is a high-pass filter (the easy way to remember it is, 'passes the highs, rolls off the lows'). The subsonic filter kicks in at 20 Hz and is useful for filtering out all kinds of garbage below that frequency that may be on older master tapes--studio or hall air conditioning rumble, mike stand noises, etc.--as well as turntable rumble frequencies and tonearm/cartridge record-warp frequencies that will cause all kinds of woofer flapping, wasting power.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 04:36 PM
It's a neat feature, but without a remote control, it is pretty much pointless. There has been mentions in the past (as far as I can remember) of a USB-based remote control for Axiom subs. Is there any plans to have one?

Again, having parameters to change based on current source is not practical if you have to get up and move to the sub, which may not be easy of access (mine is not).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 07:07 PM
you could use some fishing string and an elaborate pully mechanism that wraps around your ceiling and back to the couch.
Posted By: alan Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 07:15 PM
Hi,

No plans that I'm aware of for a USB-based remote.

Early on in the design stages of the EP400, 500, 600 and 800, we talked about remote control but it would have substantially raised the prices of the subwoofers. I actually suggested having some front-mounted controls--I hate leaning over the back of the subwoofer trying to grope for the right control. At least on the new amp, the switch for the subsonic filter is at the top of the control panel, so you could do it by feel, if necessary.

The subsonic filter, I expect, will be seldom used except for devotees of vinyl playback who are bothered by some rumble and other infrasonic anomalies.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 07:16 PM
The only subwoofer that I am aware of that comes with a remote control is Aperions Bravus line of subwoofers. I am sure there are others out there...it would be a very cool feature on the 500.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 08:27 PM
Maybe Axiom could incorporate a flip up/down cover, similar to what I have on my Panny Plasma, which woulc be placed no the front of the sub, that way my kids won't break off the switches. ;\)
Posted By: alan Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 09:44 PM
I'd really like that, maybe with the LED for On/Off glowing through the grille cover.

Alan
Posted By: pmbuko Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 09:51 PM
No switches. Follow Apple's lead and make the entire surface a touch-screen interface. \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 10:03 PM
Hey, kid, what are you doi--BOOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOM BOOOOM BOOOOM screeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaam!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 10:12 PM
Naturally, there'd be a secret knock to activate the interface.
Posted By: Adrian Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 10:14 PM
I used to have a trim button on my last pair of jeans, but I lost it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 10:15 PM
This actually derives from my own experience as a small child. My parents tell me that I was in the habit of changing the turned off receiver to the country music station, turning the volume knob up all the way, then pressing the power button and running away screaming.

There's a small part of me that wishes that my son could do the same thing to me, but my receiver's behind plexiglas.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 10:56 PM
I think Axiom should just pull a BMW and make everything as complicated as humanly possible.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 11:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
No switches. Follow Apple's lead and make the entire surface a touch-screen interface. \:\)

But the touch screen interface must make cool clicking sounds when you press the vitrual buttons. We will also need a magnetically attached power supply cable to.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 11:21 PM
I would love to see a 0 db, -3db and/or -6db switch on the EP500. I had this on my Mirrage sub and used it all the time. If you want to listen to some nice music and want a hint of Subwoofer, you set it to -6db. If you have a movie that isn't a blockbuster action you set it to -3db, and if you want to have dinosaurs feel like there are in the room with you, you set it to, 0db. Make life much easier as apposed to having to deal with the volume knob

paul
Posted By: Ken.C Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/12/09 11:30 PM
I like that idea, but I don't imagine I'd use it much.
Posted By: fredk Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 12:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko

Oooh, good idea! Then they could start giving their subs funky names and charging $4k for the entry level model.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 02:29 AM
OK, now I'm confused. My ep500 manual says that the trim setting boosts the frequency's above 33 hz a little on half, and even more when set to full.

However, when I talked to brent at axiom he said that the half setting cuts the frequencies below 33hz by 3db, while the full setting cuts them by 6db.

Which is it?
Posted By: JohnK Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 02:52 AM
Yes, David; the information in the manual indicates that the trim control boosts the mid-bass in varying amounts, rather than cutting the low bass.
Posted By: Micah Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 10:53 AM
You guys are thinking in the past with these 'front virtual control' panels you're talking about. Axiom needs to jump straight into the future of audio and make all of the subs controls directly accessible from your cell phone. I have seen where car alarm companies are starting to link your anti-theft system directly to your cellular. You can turn it on or off, check on its status, and they will even call you if someone is trying to break into your ride.

My cell phone is never further than arms distance at any time during the day. So linking the trim dial, gain knob and subsonic filter switch to my keypad would be the shit!!!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 01:04 PM
I have used my iphone to control my denon through the web interface before. actually, I have the web interface website (ip address) bookmarked to my iphone.
Posted By: Argon Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 01:06 PM
Soon, we can all be like the humans in Wall-e.
Posted By: RickF Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 01:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: Potatohead
I think Axiom should just pull a BMW and make everything as complicated as humanly possible.

I don't think we'd really want to do that, the thing would stay in the shop most of the time.
Posted By: RickF Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 01:28 PM
Adjusting the levels on the 600 can be a pain, but once you learn the exact location of the switches and dials by feel and are able to adjust them upside down it's not too bad at all. ;\)
Posted By: alan Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/13/09 03:19 PM
Yes, it's an interesting cognitive challenge. Keeps the old neurons firing. . .

Alan
Posted By: obsi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/14/09 06:30 PM
How about wireless sub signal kit thru the usb?
Posted By: Riker Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/15/09 03:08 AM
 Originally Posted By: obsi
How about wireless sub signal kit thru the usb?

Now that sounds more like a plan.. insert the receiver in the USB port of the sub.. and use the controller from anywhere in the room to control sub fuctions.. hey, if they have make wireless usb mices and keyboards, why not ?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 11/15/09 03:31 AM
The usb port on the Axiom sub is not an input signal, it is for updating the firmware or purchasing Axioms USB light for seeing in dark locations.
Posted By: obsi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 02/03/10 10:56 AM
Has there ever been a firmware update since the Ep500's release? I never updated mine.
Posted By: grunt Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 02/03/10 11:02 AM
I don’t believe there has been one in the three years I’ve owned mine, but I don’t have any idea before that.
Posted By: obsi Re: No trim button on my EP500 ? - 02/04/10 02:38 PM
My dream would be a wireless usb wifi dongle (with a built-in switchable light) stuck in that usb slot that can recieve lfe signal and latest firmware if any. ok time to wake up now
© Axiom Message Boards