Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Potatohead Well, it's done - 11/14/09 05:11 AM
So, after three long months of working 3 - 4 hours a day down here in the basement, I'm finally done this thing, and it feels great. Carpet was installed today, so I hooked everything up for good and brought the sofas in. I promised I would post some pics when it was done, so here we are. This camera is just terrible at taking pics in any sort of darkess, so they are not great, but you get the idea. I am just waiting on my Harmony 880 and DVE disc which are stuck in customs and I won't have to juggle seven remotes anymore and I can get the picture dialed in.

Walls are still pretty bare obviously so I am on the lookout for some nice movie posters and the like. I might hang my guitar just for the heck of it. I may put up some acoustic panels, but really it is not very echoey in here, so we'll see.

Here are a couple (blurry) screen shots of planet earth on (gasp!) HD DVD. This Toshiba A1 is a tank.

So, there she is. Now I can enjoy, although I am about to run Audyssey right now :).
Posted By: CV Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 05:16 AM
Congratulations on the completion. That looks like such a great room to escape in.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 06:23 AM
Looks Great, congrats.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 06:47 AM
Good job! That does look like a nice room!
Posted By: fredk Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 08:43 AM
Nice! I really like the colour scheme.

You need to loose the tethered remote though. ;\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 08:58 AM
This looks great! Congratulations! And kudos on the discipline!
Posted By: Argon Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 12:11 PM
Are you going to put in WIFI?
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 12:35 PM
I love what you did wth the bulkheads.

The black trim really works in there too.

Very cool!

paul
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 04:32 PM
Really, really nice!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 04:48 PM
Really, really, really nice!
Posted By: aspicer1 Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 04:58 PM
Really nice! Let me know what you learn from using Audyssey. I used it and spent a few hours messing with the settings it created as I was not happy with the sound. Of course I really dont know what I am doing so I may have done something wrong when I used Audyssey.

Aaron
Posted By: casey01 Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 05:06 PM
Guys like you that are talented and have the ability to build stuff like this make me sick(just kidding). Great job!

If I even remotely attempted to try doing something like this I can guarantee you within ten minutes after starting, from my improper use of tools, blood would be spewing forth and I would be rushing to the hospital emergency room!
Posted By: Micah Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 07:17 PM
You did a fantastic job in there Potato, kudo's! Now you can enjoy your hard work everytime you watch a movie, tv, or listen to music (is this a listening room as well, or are you much into listening to music?). I love it, congrats!
Posted By: cb919 Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 07:32 PM
Looks fantastic Tater! I was happy with my installation of the W's until I saw your pics! Really great looking job. I am also impressed with how you built the bulk heads to aim the W's. I might have to think about adding this feature in the future as mine are just plain flat mounted.

Cheers!
Posted By: Micah Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 07:55 PM
I must add that I really love the way you did the AV shelf! Question, what's the screen for? I had a screen hooked up in my closet so that I could choose from a playlist for my music from there, but I have never used it as I just use my main screen for that.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 11:47 PM
Very nice job!
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Well, it's done - 11/14/09 11:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
Are you going to put in WIFI?

The house already has it, but in this room it doesn't work. Just outside on the stairs it works great, but come inside and it has another four layers of drywall, insulation and acoustical sealant to get through... It's ok for surfing forums like this, but downloads and gaming and such is impossible. I think my wife may have another router from her old place, I should probably dig it out.

Originally Posted By: Worfzara
I love what you did wth the bulkheads.

The black trim really works in there too.

Very cool!

paul

I pretty much had to do that, otherwise obviously they would be massive. There is everything you can imagine in there... Heating ducts, water lines, sewer lines, electrical, speaker wire, vaccum line, cable/phone line etc etc. That darn bulkhead is the reason I couldn't go with a slightly larger screen, it would have cut off a corner of the image from the projector. I call it "Volkswagening" (over-engineering) on my part. Another example is the door handle... 90% of the reason I picked that handle is because the part that covers the actual mechanism on the door matches the inlay on the door.

Originally Posted By: aspicer1
Really nice! Let me know what you learn from using Audyssey. I used it and spent a few hours messing with the settings it created as I was not happy with the sound. Of course I really dont know what I am doing so I may have done something wrong when I used Audyssey.

Aaron

It seems good, although it did set everything to 72 db for some reason so I had to pump them up a little. It also set my front crossovers at the bare lowest I would want them @ 60 hz, so I brought that up to 80. It set the QS8's at 110, which still seems like they may be getting a bit too much bass for my liking, but I'll tinker with it some more. Overall it seems to be a cool system.

Originally Posted By: casey01
Guys like you that are talented and have the ability to build stuff like this make me sick(just kidding). Great job!

If I even remotely attempted to try doing something like this I can guarantee you within ten minutes after starting, from my improper use of tools, blood would be spewing forth and I would be rushing to the hospital emergency room!

To be honest I've never really done anything like this before, but I am pretty good with my hands (used to be a mechanic) and it's nothing a real good instructional book can't guide you through. A lot of it is just common sense. The rule "measure twice, cut once" certainly exists for a reason though, let me tell you that.

Originally Posted By: Micah
I must add that I really love the way you did the AV shelf! Question, what's the screen for? I had a screen hooked up in my closet so that I could choose from a playlist for my music from there, but I have never used it as I just use my main screen for that.

The "screen" where the components are? That's actually a frosted glass door to hide the DVD's/remotes etc. There is one below the receiver and another at the bottom. I do want a small monitor or something there though so I can set the PVR without turning on the projector... Not sure if there is an easy way to do that through my laptop or not.

Anyway, to all of you, this board is such a help and a great place to hang out... Thank you for the comments!
Posted By: Murph Re: Well, it's done - 11/17/09 02:33 PM
That looks awesome. Very nicely done.
© Axiom Message Boards