Axiom Home Page
Posted By: diet butcher New M80s with old Sub - 12/01/09 04:28 AM
Hello All,

Getting Ready to Order my M80s in the next month or two. I have an old Onkyo sub that came in a HTIB package before. Would it be more beneficial to simply leave it out of the setup once I have the M80s and let the M80s handle the low end before I get a new subwoofer?

Thanks
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: New M80s with old Sub - 12/01/09 04:38 AM
Yeah, more than likely. I'm headed into the same situation, I'll probably buy a new sub before my mains just to avoid that. Never know though, maybe that sub isn't so bad. Doesn't hurt to try it, if it seems to help the M80s keep it in place; if the M80s reach lower, toss it.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: New M80s with old Sub - 12/01/09 05:52 AM
I would agree, might as well try it out and see if it helps, depending on the power and size it may not help at all, but it can't hurt to try.
Posted By: Micah Re: New M80s with old Sub - 12/02/09 03:51 AM
Were you impressed with it before?
Posted By: Murph Re: New M80s with old Sub - 12/02/09 02:36 PM
My personal experience with that question is that everyone is impressed with even an entry level subwoofer if they have never heard one before, as they tend to be a new 'in your face' experience.

It is not until you hear a well designed, clean sounding unit that you realize that there is even a difference that you are missing.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New M80s with old Sub - 12/02/09 08:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
It is not until you hear a well designed, clean sounding unit that you realize that there is even a difference that you are missing.

That can be said for speakers too.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: New M80s with old Sub - 12/02/09 08:39 PM
I'll second that motion.
Posted By: Adrian Re: New M80s with old Sub - 12/02/09 10:57 PM
I think you're going to be very surprised by the bass of the M80s, I have the feeling they'll drown out your older (Onkyo) sub, but give it a try anyway.
© Axiom Message Boards