Axiom Home Page
Does anyone have a recommendation for speakers that will be in an entertainment center. It is going in a master bedroom, and we don't want any speakers out or on furniture. I was thinking of a 3.1 setup.

The furniture the speakers will go in is actually a plasma lift. The spaces for speakers are approximately 8 inches high and 9 inches deep. The width of the space is 32 inches for the center speaker and 18 inches for the two side speakers. For the subwoofer, I'd probably want to put it behind a plant or something to block the view. I won't want to break the bank, but price also will not be a significant driving factor.

I have Axioms in our family room and love them. Doesn't seem there are any that will work for the bedroom. I recognize I am not going to have anything that sounds like the family room, but am just looking to have something better than what I'll get from TV speakers. I know this will not be popular, but I listened to Bose at a Best Buy and they actually sounded pretty good for this purpose. Don't know if they work in an entertainment center, though.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
That space doesn't give you many options, I'll give you the normal reply "Get M80s" ;\) and suggest you look at ORB. No idea if they are any good. http://www.orbaudio.com/?gclid=COzNiaiUz54CFY915Qodd3rBrA they have a 30 day free trial.

You might be able to use three across the front and use a black speaker cloth to hide them (if you wish to).

Another thought would be to look at soundbars

Any photos you can post?
The height is going to be the tough part. I have a couple of Harmon Kardon bookshelves that may or not be under 8" high. An older model for sure but they sounded great for their size.
Energy has a couple of offerings you could check out as well, like the RC-Mini(height is 7 1/2") or the RC-Micro(smaller). The RC-Mini is rear ported, not sure about the Micro though.
Possibly mount some M0's on the front of the EC, by closing in a section with a false front and mount the M0's.

Maybe some pics of the EC would help.
Yeah, M0s was what I was thinking.
Thanks everyone. We don't yet have the plasma lift, and I don't really know how to post pictures, but this is a link to the piece of furniture we have ordered:

http://www.hookerfurniture.com/index.cfm...televisions.cfm

It's the piece of furniture on the left. (Number 379-55-460) Don't know if that is a reasonable way to "post a picture," but if anyone is curious enough I think that would show the dimensions and what I'm dealing with.

Again, I appreciate all of the responses and input.
If you're handy, I'd just install a couple of decent in-ceiling speakers. Maybe add a small sub to a corner.
Maybe a couple of VP100s for the left and right?
She who must be obeyed won't go for in-celing speakers, so that is out.

I am definitely very fond of Axiom, so if Axioms are a good option given my limitations on space that would be great. Would something like this make sense:

VP100 as a center speaker with M0s on the left and right. EP 125 subwoofer.

I take it from the responses that having the VP100 and M0s in a cabinet would not be a horrible mistake. Am I reading that right? How would one "mount" the M0s in a cabinet, particularly when one is not even remotely handy.

On the subwoofer, the room is not what I'd call small(17 feet long, I think, and maybe 10 feet wide). Don't know if the EP125 would cut it in a room that large, but given that it is just a bedroom I'm not looking for overwhelming base. As I noted, I am looking to be able to hide the sub behind a plant (otherwise the aforementioned she-who-must-be-obeyed is going to nix the whole plan).
Looks as though the shelving to the left and right is adjustable so perhaps you could fit taller speakers in.
I may have missed a post, but what is wrong with T2s? Are they really that much bigger than M0s? At least they are meant to be inside an enclosure.
I'd try to swing for a larger subwoofer if you have room for one, maybe the 175 which is not much bigger, or something similar. The 350 may be more than what you want by the sounds of it.

I just looked at the entertainment unit, nice piece of furniture! I'll also throw another suggestion out there as well...if you don't mind some (very) small speakers on top of the unit, have a look at some Mirage MX, Nano or Nanosats...small, attractive package with lots of sound.
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
I may have missed a post, but what is wrong with T2s? Are they really that much bigger than M0s? At least they are meant to be inside an enclosure.
Dimensions given were not tall enough for T2s or M2s
After looking at the unit, I would look at the inwall M22 or on wall M22 mounted on either side of the TV, at least the space where it will pop up into and use the Vp100 in the cabinet for the center channel and I would run the EP400 for a sub, excellent hideability just very expensive or get a Paradigm DSP3100 it is smaller than the EP350 with good amount of output, just lacks real powerful low end to shake the room but you do feel it. \:\)
I think the 125 would be completely underpowered for your room. I you can spare the $$$ EP400 perhaps?
I would recommend the EP350, I have one in my upstairs living room and it does an amazing job.
Thanks again everyone for the responses. If I was going to make the purchase today, I'd be inclined toward the VP100 center, the M3s for the sides, and the EP350 sub. As folks pointed out, I have more room than I thought in the tv cabinet.

Just a few final questions for anyone interested in providing additional thoughts:

"T2s" were mentioned in an earlier response as being designed for cabinets. I don't see any Axiom products that are T2s. Is that another company's brand?

I said above the M3s, rather than M2s, just because they seem to be a "step up" at little extra cost. Would folks say M3s are a better bet?

On the M3s, again I just want to verify that putting them in a cabinet will be o.k. and that having them sitting on their sides will not be a problem.

When I read the descriptions of the subs, it actually seems the 175 is about right for the size of my room (about 17' x 10' (maybe 12') with eight foot ceilings). Seems to be general support for the 350 though (which I think I may have in my basement, but I can't remember any more). Is there going to be a huge difference between the two subs? I'm not looking to shake the walls, just to have a nice viewing experience when I watch TV in the bedroom. I actually do most TV watching in the basement.

Again, you all are very helpful and it is much appreciated.
T2s are now called M2 in walls. Or In-wall M2s. Something along those lines.
RayLewis,

I currently have M3's in a entertainment center/bookshelf and have them sitting out as far as possible to give the rear port some breathing room and to reduce any reflections from the entertainment center itself.

I USED to have them on their sides. I was happy with them in that configuration, but noticed this weird null in the sound right outstide of my listening area. Not really a big deal, and they sounded great.

I decided just to try a different position and had them standing upright, and higher up on the entertainment center. Still sounded good, but that weird null was gone. Could be that it went away when I raised the speaker up, turned it upright, or both.

Bottom line is that it works, just try different positions if possible.
Good game against the Bears last week Ray! Good luck against the Steelers next Sunday!
Thanks Kcarlile and BigHonu. And Micah, I am not feeling real confident about the Steelers game. Should be a good game, though.
© Axiom Message Boards