Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rprice54 Does your EP500 look like this? - 12/29/09 02:48 AM
I am fine tuning my sub and it's placement, and went looking for the trim switch, only to find it's not there.

What gives? From what I had read, the trim switch was an advantage to have, and it's in the manual and on the website, but not on my sub.

thoughts?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 12/29/09 02:55 AM
Newer amps no longer have the Trim setting. Also the Subsonic filter has been added.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 12/29/09 02:59 AM
An additional thought. What receiver do you have? Many these days have multi-frequency standing wave attenuation. Which can do a better job than the small selection that the trim setting offered. For instance my Pioneer has a Standing Wave portion to it's auto-setup MCACC routine which can measure three locations in the room to find out if any specific frequencies need to be trimmed and by how much. And this is a pretty simple receiver as room-correction features go.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 12/29/09 03:11 AM
RP, my three year old EP500 has the trim setting and I've found it to be helpful in small and average rooms. Some time ago this feature was dropped. A member reported that an Axiom representative suggested to him that the subsonic filter was to be used instead, but a sharp subsonic cut-off doesn't provide the same adjustment which the trim control did.
Posted By: rvrrat Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/11/10 11:55 PM
The amp on my 3 month old EP500 looks like that, but when I contacted tech support about removing the amp boot so that I could tighten down a post he said that the old amps have 3 screws to remove to take the boot off whereas the new amps the boot just pulls off. I must have an old amp because mine had 3 screws that I had to remove. Also mine has 2005 date codes all over it. I am guessing that my amp was an old style that was returned and factory refurbished.
Posted By: Wid Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 12:02 AM
 Quote:
I am guessing that my amp was an old style that was returned and factory refurbished.

Axiom doesn't sell refurbs like that. Why it was dated the way it was, I couldn't guess.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 12:09 AM
Hey Steve, Rick is correct, Axiom does not re-sell returns or refurbished items...
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 03:33 AM
...not through the store here. Even the Factory Outlet are new parts, but perhaps dinged in assembly. Though I do believe they sell returns and referbs in the eBay store (and to family members).
Posted By: jakewash Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 05:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: rvrrat
I must have an old amp because mine had 3 screws that I had to remove. Also mine has 2005 date codes all over it. I am guessing that my amp was an old style that was returned and factory refurbished.
Could be you were just unfortunate enough to get some old stock items. \:\(
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 05:11 PM
Steve, as I mentioned in my PM to you. I would call Axiom, not sure why they sent you an old amp with saw dust all over it, loose RCA connections, and a bent volume shank... the new amps don't have a trim control...
Posted By: peterbell Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 07:30 PM
Hi all,

Peter here. I dropped the ball on updating the picture for our sub amps. I will make this happen and get the site updated tomorrow.

Thanks

Peter
Posted By: grunt Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 07:45 PM
Thanks for the quick update Peter and sorry I didn‘t notice this before and point it out sooner.

Cheers,
Dean

P.S. If my previous post disappears it’s because I asked Peter to delete it once the EP500 product page gets updated to avoid someone new coming along and mistakenly thinking there was yet another update.
Posted By: peterbell Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 07:57 PM
Dean,

I really appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

We work hard at making the Axiom experience perfect. It is looking after the little details that really matters. On this one we dropped the ball.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/12/10 11:07 PM
I think regardless of any oversights, on the whole we can all agree you guys are doing a pretty darn good job.
Posted By: rvrrat Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/13/10 01:51 AM
Maybe along with updated picture on the web site an updated manual for the EP500?
Posted By: peterbell Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/13/10 01:58 PM
Thanks for compliment. The one thing about Axiom is that we really do care about our customers.
Posted By: peterbell Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/13/10 01:58 PM
We will certainly post a new manual with updated pictures today.
Posted By: alan Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/13/10 04:42 PM
Hi rvrrat,

The dates that you are referring to are on the circuit boards and have nothing to do with the age/model of the amplifier supplied to you.

As others here have noted, we never sell refurbished or returned Axiom products on the Axiom web site or in the factory outlet store.

Engineering changes are made and introduced as an ongoing process. The addition of the subsonic filter was not meant to substitute for the trim switch. The filter was felt to be a useful addition for fans of vinyl playback, to remove subsonic garbage below 20 Hz caused by turntable rumble, tonearm/cartridge resonances, and other record-warp anomalies.

The trim switch was felt to be of limited utility. I've never used the trim switch on my own EP500; some customers like JohnK, have found it useful.

Regards,
Posted By: Murph Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/13/10 05:48 PM
For the record, I found the trim switch very helpful with the problems of my small, square basement room.

Although perhaps illusionary, I found I was able to get much stronger bass in the center seating position without having to turn it up so loud that it was way too loud in the corners where it wasn't being destroyed by the canceling wave effect in the middle of the square room.

I'm very glad I have it on my model.
Posted By: grunt Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/13/10 06:09 PM
I’ve used the “Trim” switch in all 3 rooms I’ve been in including now. It’s done a good job of helping to level out my EP500s FR either w/o or before applying EQ. Though in the larger open room I’m in now it’s makes the least difference.
Posted By: rvrrat Re: Does your EP500 look like this? - 01/15/10 03:03 PM
I see the new manual posted for the EP500 went from the old version to the newest version skipping my version which is approx 3 months old. Most of the stuff looks the same just placed different. Alan is there ANY performance differences?
© Axiom Message Boards