Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jakewash New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:10 AM
Well I couldn't take it any longer and took down my sister's Christmas tree and put together the Panny. I hooked up my sister's new LG 350c BR player and fired up a BR movie for the first time. I can't go back to SD. That was one amazing picture. Now I am very anxious to hook everything up to the 3808 and have some audio fun to go along with the new eye candy.

So which movie did I watch? A hint to come if no one can guess after a few postings.

I will say it was a treat on the eyes after many viewings in SD.
Posted By: grunt Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:21 AM
"The Fifth Element.” Well that’s my favorite eye candy. \:\)

I bet what you’re watching right now is Charles slaying your post count. ;\)

Posted By: CV Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:27 AM
I need a hint.
Posted By: grunt Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:33 AM
Jay, it’s your own thread any he’s already tied your posts here.

Come on Parry & Riposte!
Posted By: Lampshade Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:38 AM
Pixar?
Posted By: jakewash Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:41 AM
Hint: many quotes on this forum come from this movie......
Posted By: CV Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:44 AM
The Princess Bride?
Posted By: jakewash Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:52 AM
I KNEW you would get it, Yes, The Princess Bride. As I said it has some surprising eye candy in it. I could make out the pattern on the sholuder on Westley's shirt just before the duel with Inigo. All the costumes looked amazing, lots of detail and the colors are outstanding. The rocks during the Cliffs of Insanity climbing scene looked real, I could make out crevices in them.

I am currently running some break-in slides as per the plasma break in thread on AVS. I figure it won't hurt it and it may allow me to achieve an even better picture according to the videophiles \:\) .

I will try to take some pictures of the movie tomorrow.
Posted By: CV Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 06:54 AM
\:\) Yes, please take pictures. Even after I get a projector, I still may want a plasma.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 03:17 PM
My theory on plasma break-in, is that it won't improve the picture, as every pixel will eventually break-in on it's own. But it does allow for a more consistent picture by getting the phosphors through their first hours of use, where they change the most rapidly, all at the same time.

I did 7 days of slides any time I wasn't watching actual content. After that time I noticed the lack of after-image (one of my calibration DVDs has hard white titles on a dark gray background, it would always after-image on the brand new panel), and less sparkles (but they were not noticeable more than a couple feet away anyway).
Posted By: jakewash Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 07:35 PM
Thanks Chris, what you did is my plan, run the slides while not watching and I figured the best thing to come of this might be less IR after I am done. The idea behind using this particular set of slides is to be able to use a pro calibrator's settings once he posts them on AVS. He uses this set of slides then makes his adjustements in the service menu so following his steps should yeild similar results, better(?) PQ, well a near calibrated picture at least. I just have to decide if I am willing to go into the service menu to do the changes and run the risk of messing something up.........
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 07:52 PM
Changing a display settings to Movie and/or Warm, gets you 90% of the way. Using a calibration disc to dial in color/tint and brightness/contrast and sharpness gets you 99%. If you want to get to 99.9% you can mess in the service menu. I've not bothered with my Kuro, 99% is better than I ever imagined.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/30/09 08:24 PM
I still need to get the BR version, I have DVE and Avia....in storage, I have a lot of work to do once we move in \:\)
Posted By: onn Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/31/09 01:09 AM
Hi Jay
I've got the Spears and Munsil Bluray calibration disk I received with my OPPO. I could mail it out to you if you want.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/31/09 01:45 AM
That would be great mel, thanks!! But let's wait till I move so it doesn't get left behind. I will PM you when I can make use of it. I could even wait till you make down for the GTG \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/31/09 03:19 AM
Sounds like you are really enjoying your new display Jay.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/31/09 06:04 AM
Spent some time setting up the S1 with the 3808 and the sat box tonight and was unable to get any picture going from the Sat box hooked up via its DVI out to the HDMI in on the 3808 and then to the Panny. I think it has to do with an HDCP handshake issue as the sat box would sometimes display HDCP on its front display. At least I am able to get the component outs to work and the upscaler in the 3808 appears to work very well, even if it isn't the latest and greatest. Much more playing to go.....
Posted By: BWeasner Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/31/09 03:00 PM
Glad that you are enjoying your new HDTV! I have the Panny 65" S1 and I love it! Good luck getting the "handshake" issues cleared up...I wrestled with no video signal/loss of video signal from my AVR-790 for about 2 weeks before I realized that the receiver was defective \:\(
Posted By: jakewash Re: New Panny 58" S1 - 12/31/09 05:33 PM
Funny thing is the BR player has no problem sending it's signal through the 3808 to the Panny. I can only guess it has to do with outdated firmware in my sister's satelite box.
The fun part will be seeing if my new HD terminal will work and we will be in the new house just in time for the Super Bowl \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards