Axiom Home Page
Posted By: davidsch Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 12:17 PM
The following may sound like an advertisement, but I have no affiliation with the linked company. Santa Claus brought me a great addition to my home theater room this year. If you have ever considered adding any acoustical treatments to your room but aren't sure if the results will justify the expense, I am strongly encouraging you to give it a try. I added two acoustical panels in the rear corners of my listening room and man what a difference it made. I got them here: ATS Acoustics. The quality is very good, the price was right ($33.95 per panel), the installation was easy, and I am supporting the U.S. economy as these are manufactured in Illinois. The results were much more significant than I expected. The overall clarity is improved and the bass is much tighter. I used the corner brackets and the open backed panels and with shipping the total was a little over $100, but it is easily the best $100 that I have put into my system. If you have reflection issues, room treatment makes a big difference.
Posted By: roar Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 01:20 PM
I refuse to believe you until you post some pictures ;\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 01:28 PM
I put a dozen or so of those in my theater, as well as panels from Auralex. They make a HUGE difference. When you walk into the room with no music playing, it's almost like you are putting ear muffs on it's so quiet (it's almost uncomfortably quiet).
Posted By: fredk Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 01:30 PM
I'm curious to know the details of which panels you ordered and exactly how you placed them. By the sound of it they would be 2 2'x4'x2" pannels, which would only start to become really effective above 200Hz, so its interesting that you notice a difference in the bass.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 01:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: roar
I refuse to believe you until you post some pictures ;\)

Sorry - I have an old camera and a new computer that aren't compatible these days. My wife is not a big fan of their appearance but I don't think that they look too bad.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 01:35 PM
I have pictures of mine in my gallery thread:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=206049

The picture needs updating. The EP500s have been replaced, as well as the projector and DVD Player, but the room treatments are the same.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 01:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
I'm curious to know the details of which panels you ordered and exactly how you placed them. By the sound of it they would be 2 2'x4'x2" pannels, which would only start to become really effective above 200Hz, so its interesting that you notice a difference in the bass.

The panels are 4 inches thick and absorb down to 100 Hz. They are in the upper rear corners of a room with 10 foot ceilings.
Posted By: fredk Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 01:59 PM
That makes sense then. Did you put them across the corners?
Posted By: fredk Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 02:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: SRoode

Oh yea, that room. Not much of a mancave if you ask me. Only 3 remotes, colour coordinated... ;\)
Posted By: davidsch Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 02:10 PM
That makes sense then. Did you put them across the corners?

Yes, the corner brackets were easy to use and the panels are secure to the walls.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 02:13 PM

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=206049

The picture needs updating. The EP500s have been replaced, as well as the projector and DVD Player, but the room treatments are the same.

Your room looks great! I may add panels at the first reflection points at a later date.
Posted By: Wid Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 02:16 PM

Thanks for the info, got it bookmarked. These guys are only 40 miles from me.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 02:39 PM
Rick, if you go, can you pick some up for everyone else on the boards?
Posted By: SRoode Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 02:41 PM

Oh yea, that room. Not much of a mancave if you ask me. Only 3 remotes, colour coordinated... ;\)

It's been castrated even more... Only 1 Harmony One Remote now... ;\)

For my bass traps, I went with the Auralex product. It's 12" thick foam, extendin almost 3 feet out in each axis, in each back corner (sorry for the blurry picture, it's a dark room and a cheap camera):

Posted By: Wid Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 03:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Rick, if you go, can you pick some up for everyone else on the boards?

Sure can if the money is right. The hard part is going to be convincing the wife we need these in the living room.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 04:07 PM
Oh.

We would have to pay?
Posted By: CV Re: Added Room Treatment - 12/30/09 05:05 PM
There's always a catch.
© Axiom Message Boards