Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Micah So Who Else Has This Happened To In Here??? - 01/06/10 08:45 AM
Walked into the living room yesterday after being gone for a few hours. I walked over to where my dog was laying and got down and laid there with her for a few minutes. After loving on her a bit I decided to get up, that's when my eye's came across something quite unexpected... I saw a black object laying on a pillow on the floor with a very familiar speaker built into it. It's funny how the mind works when it's encountering something unexpected because for a fleeting moment I remember thinking, "oh, did I get a new speaker"???

Of couse a split second later I realized this could not be the case, because getting a new speaker usually requires picking up the phone, placing and order, paying for the new speaker, and then waiting for it to arrive. I had done none of those things. That's when my eye's suddenly shot up to the wall to see... a couple of wires hanging ominously out of a hole drilled smartly into it.

"WHAT THE *&%#@%*&$@#"!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sprung to my feet and took in the scene. A broken printer directly beneath where the QS8 had hung. The top grill cover to the QS8 laying 6 feet from where the QS8 was laying on the pillow on the floor. And when I picked the QS8 up, broken grill connectors on top of the speaker where the grill cover had once been. I quickly added it all up in my head, my QS8 had fallen off of the wall.... but how???

I inspected the speaker thoroughly, luckily none of the speakers had been damaged themselves. The damage to the housing was limited to a small dent on one of the corners, and the grill cover connectors that broke off during the fall. Luckily it was the top grill, not the bottom. And there was still one connector intact, so I'm able to place the grill back ontop of it and you can't tell it's damaged without a thorough shake down. My first order of business was to check the 'T' wall mount to see if there was a problem... negative. It was still solidly in place, it wasn't budging from it's position. Next I checked the mounting hooks on the back of the QS8, did they somehow come loose.... negative. Just as strong and secure as ever. So what the hell happened then?

I decided to connect the wires back up, and mount it back on it's 'T' bracket. I did so and then got a flashlight and checked to see that it was sitting firmly in the hooks just as the left QS8 is..... negative. It was just barely holding on to the hook. And this was after I very carefully manuvered the speaker around until if 'FELT' like it was sitting deep down in the hooks. I was very surprised. I lifted up the left hand QS8 and then reset it down in it's hooks paying close attention to how far it sank down in the hooks. Then I did the same to the QS8 that had just fallen off of the wall, it didn't seat nearly as far down. So then I had to really bear down on it until I finally felt it sink down another few 8th's of an inch. I looked with the flashlight, and now indeed it was finally where it was intended to be.

Now when I first hung the QS8's on the back wall I hadn't drilled a hole in behind the speaker and ran the wire up through the wall. I had simply screwed the 'T' brace into the drywall, and ran the wire up the wall and into a hole I drilled right above it in the ceiling. It wasn't until not too long ago that I got my dads fish wire off of him and ran the wires up through the walls. So evidence shows I did not seat the speaker properly in it's brace after doing so. Well, as far as that goes it could have NEVER been properly seated in the bracket, how would I know? Maybe I just got lucky all those months and it was on just good enough not to fall off of the wall. And it stayed that way until I literally placed that $150 dollar printer directly below it.

Let me inform you all of this, in an Axiom QS8 v/s an Epson photo printer head to head battle... the Epson looses!

It was sheer luck that there was a pillow laying on the floor directly where the surround sound speaker landed by the way. Yeah I had thought it awfully suspicious that it was laying there on a pillow on the floor. But when I questioned the little lady about the incident she assured me she hadn't touched the speaker, and that in fact she had no idea it had even fallen off of the wall as she had not been in the room while I was gone. And the horror in her eyes as she saw first hand what it had done to the poor Epson... well, that was all the proof I needed to realize she was telling the truth!

So a raise of hands for anyone that's found one of their prize speakers laying unsuspectingly on the floor... or better yet, witnessed the carnage first hand as it crashed to the ground! I know Alan had posted on here not too long ago about his VP150 falling out of it's place on his entertainment center. Has anyone else been as unlucky as we? Please share, so that I don't feel like such a fool any longer!

Misery loves company! ;\)
Posted By: mpyw Re: So Who Else Has This Happened To In Here??? - 01/06/10 10:01 AM
Such a strong QS8....and poor poor Epson
Wood vs Plastic....sure win for QS8 :lol:
The QS8 probably would have survived the fall from the Epson to the floor unscathed even w/o the pillow. I’ve managed to topple 2 of my QS8s on their stands over. The first while pulling a tape measurer to verify distance set by the receiver and the second time tripping on a speaker wire. In both cases the only damage was slight scuffing on the one of the grills.

I’m curious if you were using bare wire or banana plugs?
Sounds like the work of ceiling cats to me. I'd check with the basement cats. They will be sure to rat them out.
Micah, I'm surprised a few others don't have a similar story as yours(maybe we just haven't heard them yet). When I got my QS8s I knew the first time I went to hang them on the T-bracket that they would need to be "seated" solidly into said bracket to avoid a possible catastrophy...broken speaker or FOOT! anyway, I had a bit of trouble getting the brackets to line up and lock properly, so I just opened up the lip on the brackets to "guide" them together...so much easier then continually trying to hook the bracket, missing it and potentially dropping the speaker. I know a few others have bent the tab out a little on the bracket tabs to help them connect, it really does help to join the two halves of the bracket. Once it's connected, I gave it a little tug(no jokes please) downwards to make sure the speaker was fully seated.
Yikes! Has not happened to me - I am going check my QS8's as soon as I get home tonight!

Though I will admit I dropped my EP500 when I first received it as I was carrying it down to my basement. Thankfully it was still in it's shipping packaging so no harm done - though I did have that sick feeling until I unwrapped it to find it unscathed.
Bare wire. Which I had cranked down fairly hard, so I don't know if they held for a few seconds after initially falling off of the 'T' bracket or not? Either way they didn't hold long enough to save the Epson. Wish Ida seen that post about bending the tabs out some. \:\(
I struggled to get the QS8s on their T brackets, but I made very sure they were seated properly.
Coming home to stuff like that is the worst. Like Adrian, I made sure mine were planted nicely and even gave them a little push down to be sure. It's nice to have such a low profile bracket, but it makes it harder to mount, for sure.
Ok ok, I didn't write this thread so that all of you SUCCESSFUL mounters could rub it in my face how sturdy your QS8's have been sitting on your walls!!!

J/K, it's ok I'm tough skinned, I can take it! \:\)

No seriously though I was hoping to perhaps save a few of you who may have thought, as I did, that my QS9's were secure, when indeed they were not. I assure you I am very careful when I do these sorts of things, and I was supremely confident that my QS8's were secure. In fact even when I put the speaker back up on the wall, I was sure that I had seated it properly in the bracket. That's why I was so shocked when I got the flashlight out and checked it that I was wrong, it was not seated properly.

So do yourselves a favor and pull a flashlight out to double check if you haven't done so already. If I can save just one Epson printer from the same demise that mine came to, this thread will be worth the trouble of posting it!
Mica I've never have had that issue but I did make sure the QS8s were properly seated and secured to the T brackets ... even double checked 'em.

Hope this helps!

\:D \:D \:D
It does indeed bring me deep satisfaction to know that another QS8 will make it safely through another night! \:D

And btw I'm not attempting to flame the bracket system here at all as I feel it's much preferable to any of the aftermarket brackets I looked at (didn't even know they came with their own mounting brackets, I had a pair of wall mount brackets all ready to go when I opened the boxes and was pleasantly surprised to see the flush mount brackes included!!!). In fact I place the majority of the blame on the wire I was working with. I used 12 guage wire from momo price. It is fairly thick & stiff, and where I drilled the hole made moving it around just a bit trickier than I had anticipated. But it's still great wire for a very good price, just a bit more involving when working with it.

And for those who caught it, sorry... I don't have any prototype QS9's to boast about. \:\(
 Originally Posted By: Micah
And for those who caught it, sorry... I don't have any prototype QS9's to boast about. \:\(

No probs. Everyone knows the next Qs are going to be QS12s.

;\)
Rick's going to travel the continent ensuring proper QS8 installation.

When am I scheduled?
Wow, if that job paid decent I'd have to think about taking it! Any excuse to listen to Axioms everyday works for me! ;\)
Micah, re-read Tom's post.

I'm under the distinct impression that this particular job calls for expert knowledge and quality control regarding the proper techniques of hanging and mounting of Axiom QS8s using 'T' brackets on walls ... you are obviously not the right applicant for the job. Sorry.

Tom, where do I start ... Richmond, Indiana?

\:D \:D
Micah, if your lady is in the clear, the next suspect would be the dog.
Somewhere on an interstate:

(dissolve to dream sequence)

YourQ s8 turn printermachine into audiopile of junque! Donot calll RicharF to helpy ou he cannt see frum undr hat an he listen much Steviray Yvonne, henot no tru audiopile musik. You calll sircrack or dr horse they tru audiopile.

REFLECT!
 Originally Posted By: JohnK

Nope I say Blame Canada!

Yeah I know that’s not the real clip but all the real versions had so many off colour comments I didn’t want to post them.
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Micah, re-read Tom's post.

I'm under the distinct impression that this particular job calls for expert knowledge and quality control regarding the proper techniques of hanging and mounting of Axiom QS8s using 'T' brackets on walls ... you are obviously not the right applicant for the job. Sorry.

Tom, where do I start ... Richmond, Indiana?

\:D \:D

Have flashlight, will travel.
 Originally Posted By: JohnK

Hmmm... you know that whole time I was laying there loving on her she did sort of give off a guilty aura. I'd thought she'd probably just been into the cat box again, but perhaps it was far more sinister than that after all!
For once, I must disagree with John. I still say it was ceiling cat. Surely Randy will agree.

You may not believe in them, but they are "Out there!"

Originally Posted By: Murph
For once, I must disagree with John. I still say it was ceiling cat. Surely Randy will agree.

You may not believe in them, but they are "Out there!"

You actually got photographic proof???? Holy crap, have you sent that pic to NASA yet???
That is not a ceiling, it's actually a rift in the atmosphere.
and what do pilots and meteorologists call the lowest level of cloud cover??????

It still works. \:\)
Ahhhhhh.... I think I see the 'connection'!

snicker. Good One.
Then that's a Catstronaut?
It brings up a good point... if the word 'ceiling' refers to the inner top, and the word 'roof' refers to the outer top... then why do they call it the 'roof of your mouth'?

Food for thought.

... to put in your mouth.
Micah, I've noticed that it's pretty hard to tell when the T-bracket tabs are fully engaged in the slots on the back of the QS8. I've mounted and re-mounted mine a couple times and have nearly dropped one off the wall more than once. I've taken to penciling a line above the brackets at the spot where the top of the speaker should be when properly mounted so I don't make the same mistake again.
 Originally Posted By: Adrian

Yes, circling the catasphere!
He probably believes there is mice on the moon because it's made of cheese.
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Micah, I've noticed that it's pretty hard to tell when the T-bracket tabs are fully engaged in the slots on the back of the QS8. I've mounted and re-mounted mine a couple times and have nearly dropped one off the wall more than once. I've taken to penciling a line above the brackets at the spot where the top of the speaker should be when properly mounted so I don't make the same mistake again.

What does that have to do with cats in space?

J/k.... sounds like a good plan to me. The most surprising thing that happened (the whole reason I told this embarassing story on here in the first place) to me was that even when I lined the tabs up with the hooks correctly and pushed down on the unit, it truely felt like it sunk down all the way into the correct position. I would have thought I'd fixed the problem and left them up there to topple off of their bracket again had I not double checked with a flashlight. And when I did so, that's when I noticed that it was just barely hanging on to the hook!

I didn't have that problem with the left QS8. So I don't know if this was just a fluke or not. I just figured I'd share my blunder so that perhaps someone else out there might find their mistake as well before catastrophy (cat... get it) strikes them as well.

If so, then I'm glad I could help.
He probably believes there is mice on the moon because it's made of cheese.

Doh! Why that would make it a 'cat-mouse-phere' then wouldn't it!
 Originally Posted By: Micah

Yes, circling the catasphere!

You were a writer for Julie Nemar on the old Batman series?
They wish!
© Axiom Message Boards