Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Listener Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 12:33 AM
Hi guys.
I just got the "Chris Botti IN Boston" Blu-ray.
It is a Dolby TrueHD 7.1/5.1

I play it through my PS3. On my receiver the 2809ci when I toggle between modes I get DOLBY PLII or DTS NEO:6 or nural.

I can not get the Dolby TrueHD. Also on the input it looks as if I am only getting stereo and converting it to 5.1 out.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get Dolby TrueHD? I have audessey turned off BTW.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Listener Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 12:48 AM
well i just found there was an option in the menu of the blu-ray to switch to 7.1 instead of PCM. Now i get the multi channel in.
Posted By: onn Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 01:20 AM
Your Denon should have a "standard" mode try that. If I'm wrong one of the forum Shmees will correct me.
Mel
Posted By: Listener Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 01:30 AM
The Standard button allows me to toggle between the modes. The multi channel was missing because of the audio option on the blu-ray itself. It's there again. Thanks.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 01:58 AM
If you have the older PS3 you will have to PCM it to the receiver. If you have the newer "slim" version you will be able to bitstream it to the Denon if you wish. Just set the Denon to "auto" for simplicity.
Posted By: Murph Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 07:57 PM
What the potato said.
Posted By: roar Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 09:45 PM
And a follow up to potato, if you have to PCM, you will not see the little Dolby TrueHD light come on. You will just see multi-channel. If you can Bitstream, you will see the light come on I believe, but either way you are getting what you need to your reciever.
Posted By: Listener Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 11:52 PM
Yup. I read up on this last night. I guess the new Slim PS3 can bitstream dolby TrueHD, but the older ones don't do it properly.
Posted By: Listener Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/13/10 11:53 PM
Thanks guys.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Need help setting up Dolby TrueHD - 01/14/10 01:16 AM
The older ones don't bitstream, but there's nothing improper about sending PCM. I prefer the player to do the decoding. As it's even required by Profile 2.0 to do live mixing of secondary audio.

The PS3 Slim can flip from bitstreaming to PCM quickly when asked to mix secondary audio, but there's a little blip in the sound. If you're already running in in PCM, you'll never notice.

I'm also finding out that some less expensive receivers don't have quite enough DSP power to decode high-rate lossless audio, and end up out of lip synch. They do fine when fed already decoded PCM.
© Axiom Message Boards