Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 03:27 AM
On the denon 3808 advanced crossover settings there is a crossover setting for center, fronts, surrounds, and LFE. I think I remember someone saying that this lfe "crossover" should be set higher than any other crossover entered. Is this correct? What would be an appopriate setting? The denon manual is not very clear (suprise).
Thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 03:44 AM
That's how I set it on my Harman/Kardon, but I know others here have different opinions, and it may be different for different brands.
Posted By: RickF Re: LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 03:52 AM
On my older H/K AVR635 the LFE crossover is recommended (and defaulted) to be 120 ... which is where I have mine set.
Posted By: JohnK Re: LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 04:13 AM
David, that particular setting isn't especially crucial. The LFE channel in movies extends to as high as 120Hz, but it's said that in practice little or nothing above about 80Hz(and most LFE is much lower)is mixed into it. Some want it set at 120Hz in case something useful is up there, while others would set it at 80Hz to possibly reduce some random noise in the channel. My view is that it isn't a big deal either way.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 04:27 AM
Mine is set at 120 also and I didn't remember why I had done that (probably due to some advice from this forum but I couldn't recall)

Thanks for the reminder.

I have a couple of days off work coming up when my wife won't be home so I was planning on re-running audyssey and giving it another shot. I wasn't particularly impressed with the results the first time I tried but I think I had placed the mic in some undesirable locations. In anticipation of a little weekend configuring I was trying to recall why I had set things the way they are.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Hansang Re: LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 04:51 AM
David,
You should definitely check out the Audyssey thread (first post has the link to the FAQ).

Also, the CTO/Founder of Audyssey explained why the setting should be set to 120. In fact, he went so far as to say it shouldn't even be a tunable parameter (for LFE and LFE only)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 03:14 PM
Hey Dave, this really is not a crossover setting but a LPF (low pass filter), not sure why receiver mfg's decide to include this anyway as it confuses people. Tomlinson Holman, THX creator, and other's at Audyssey say to put this at 120hz, not 80hz...
Posted By: Potatohead Re: LFE crossover on denon 3808 - 01/13/10 04:38 PM
This is basically a crossover for the .1 channel only, so if you set it at 80 hz and there is material in the LFE channel above that, you lose it.
© Axiom Message Boards