Axiom Home Page
After speaking at length with the owner of the local car audio shop that we purchased my wife's gear from we stumbled onto the topic of home theater. I told him I owned axiom and he said he used to sell it back in the day when he sold Home audio stuff as well. Maybe early 90's or late 80's?

I think I remember someone saying axiom used to sell stuff in stores? is that correct or is he full of it?
That's correct.
No, that's true. When I was auditioning some Monitor Audio's down in Mississauga, the owner's son told me they used to sell Axiom's several years ago.
Before they went under in 2005, Laserland In Oakville, Ontario, just west of Toronto, was the prime retailer of AXIOM in the area. Obviously, what has happened, with the rise of the internet, Axiom, along with other companies we know about who started right from the beginning marketing their products this way, realized by doing so you didn't have to compete with the onslaught of other brands in the store and their sales staff's personal preferences.

The rest, as we say, is history.
Posted By: Wid Re: So my car audio installer used to sell Axiom - 01/18/10 10:38 PM

I didn't know they were sold in stores here in the U.S. Of all the audio stores I went in back then I never heard of Axiom.
As far as I can tell the owner of this shop is pretty good at hunting down quality sound that is less popular than some "big box" brands but have much more bang for your buck. He has several car audio speakers that I had never heard of that sound really great, and with research it turns out that a lot of other people online think so too.
Laserland in Oakville? Never heard of it and I grew up there... where abouts was it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: So my car audio installer used to sell Axiom - 01/18/10 11:41 PM
Here is the parent company but the Oakville location is closed.

http://www.laserland.ca/index.html
I know they have some certified installers in the states, but it was my understanding they sold through dealers back in the day in Canada, but under a different label, not Axiom. At least that is my understanding.
Randy, Axiom did make a line of speakers under a different name that I believe were sold at Radio Shack in Ontario, the name escapes me.

Axioms were also sold under their own name at local stores.

The local Audiotronics-Colourbox (now 2001 Audio-Video) store in Burlington is where I first saw the MZero, VPZero and the QS2. I am still kicking myself for not buying it. The QS2's were amazing, very tiny about 5"x5"x4".

I first heard M3's in Toronto at Replay Electronics, Dec 29 2001, never looked back.
 Originally Posted By: roar
Laserland in Oakville? Never heard of it and I grew up there... where abouts was it?

For those that are familiar with the area, for years, I believe around thirteen, Laserland had a store along Dundas St. in Mississauga just west of the 427 when the two partners decided to buy a place in Oakville on a side street off of Cornwall, just east of Trafalgar Rd. The trouble is within a year of moving in to the new store, there was a "falling out" and one of the partners walked and it went downhill from there(poor sales staff, lost product lines) resulting in a bankruptcy filing. That website showing a Burlington address is residual, I believe it is dead. I think the place now is a spa or something.
Axiom made Merak speakers for RadioShack. I have a friend that has a set. They sound pretty good, not true Axiom quality though.
Hi all,

Even I've been to the Laserland on Dundas St. West. I think Laserland modified a Pioneer Laserdisc player for me so that it would read digital AC-3 tracks (the professional name for Dolby Digital) on laserdiscs, late in the history of Laserdisc players. I was editor of Sound&Vision magazine (Canada) at the time.

When I joined Axiom in 2001-2002, we still had a dealer network across Canada and a few US retailers, one in Liverpool, NY, (suburb of Syracuse) and I think one in San Francisco. It was around that time we went to the direct sales web site and closed down the dealer network.

Regards,
Alan
Just before I bought my Axiom's makes it easy to remember.
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Axiom made Merak speakers for RadioShack. I have a friend that has a set. They sound pretty good, not true Axiom quality though.

I still have my Merak sub. Here it is pictured on it's side with an old set of DBPlus 990's.

Who would have thought almost 20 years later I'd have it's bigger grandson the EP500! ;\)
If Axiom was selling speakers over the internet in the late 80s, i would hazard a guess their sales were slow.
Maybe that's why they made speakers for Radio Shack eh? Filling in some time?
\:\)
Wow, I've said on here before that Axiom doesn't produce 'fancy' looking speakers. Just purpose built cabs to hold the necessary hardware to bring stunning music to life! However, looking back on some old Axiom speakers, I realize that over the years they have indeed become MUCH better looking than their previous counterparts!

Don't worry Axiom, if you saw what I was wearing in the 80's, you'd laugh too! ;\)
I think you have to post some pics now to prove it !!!
Yes, he is correct. There was a store presence in the 80's and 90's.

I found them in Hamilton at East Hamilton Radio, and fell for the AX2 models (this is before the current cabinet shape, a swuare design was used).

I found that Unlimited Sight and Sound (if memory serves) in Niagara and St Catharines also carried them. I was given the AX3 for the price of the AX2's and have had them since around 1990.

That lead to my visit in 1991 to the factory. I will try and post pics.

Regards
Mike
One of the guys at Tabangi Electronics in Mississauga, told me they used to carry Axioms several years ago.
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
As far as I can tell the owner of this shop is pretty good at hunting down quality sound that is less popular than some "big box" brands but have much more bang for your buck. He has several car audio speakers that I had never heard of that sound really great, and with research it turns out that a lot of other people online think so too.

And what might those be?? I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my car.
The sub brands I was thinking of were image dynamics and Treo.

For door panel speakers I was thinkinh of Hertz, MBQuart, and Treo.

I purchased the Hertz and Treo speakers (treo for the rear deck b/c they were cheaper) and the Image dynamics sub. I never heard the mbquart door panel speakers or the Treo subs but he had a lot of good things to say about them (and reviews were postive as well.)

I am not sure if any of these brands are actaully better than say a 3-way pioneer door panel speaker because I never did any A/B comparison... but I can say that I am pretty happy with the sound of the hertz speakers in particular.
I run MBQuart in my Passat. They are the 'Q' series, so I can't speak for the lower priced line, but these babies are amazing. Just a few weeks ago I was driving a buddy of mine to the Colts game and we were listening to a song (it escapes me which one exactly) and all of a sudden he goes, "oh THAT'S what he says right there! I never knew what he was saying in that part of the song, it's crazy how much better I can hear the lyrics through these speakers".

I think I've said it before that if MBQuart had home speakers I probably would never know that Axiom even existed, because I certainly would have bought MBQuart home speakers without thinking twice if they had carried them. Oh well, I'm not mad. ;\)
© Axiom Message Boards