Axiom Home Page
Posted By: madjak Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 03:09 AM
Hi All,

The following speakers have arrived:
2 X M22s with Full Metal Brackets
1 X VP150
2 X QS8s

My Birthday present from the boss "Finish off the HT room, just do it". Loverly.

Room is 12 foot by 15 foot, 8 feet high. Link to pics is HERE

These are to replace all the speakers for my 5.1 HT room.

I will be mounting the M22s at the front on either side using the FMBs so they're centre to the screen. The VP150 will be mounted above the screen replacing the existing speaker you can see. I am working on a pelmet box currently to cover up the rest of the top part of the room.

As you can see from the photos, my current sides are at ear level, and can't be pushed into the window or door. That's fine, I can move the seats to be between the current locations.

Herein lies the problem/question. Should I mount the QS8s higher? If so, how much higher from the listeners ear? Would the Aircon in the photo upset the sound for that side?

Any advice or suggestions would is welcomed.

Cheers,

Posted By: JohnK Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 03:20 AM
Jak, welcome, and congratulations on the speakers which make your birthday(note the wishes you're receiving in the Water Cooler)even more special.

The QS8s should be mounted 2-3' higher than ear level, if possible, and a couple feet farther back than the listening position.
Posted By: madjak Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 03:51 AM
Hi JohnK,

Ok, this is doable for one side. It would put the speaker right next to the window, however, on the other side of the room, the most back from where the best viewing location I can make it is just under a foot back due to the door.

Would the QS8 mind being right next to a window or Door?

Also, this would put the speakers to be quite close to the ceiling.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 05:03 AM
If the door and windows don't mind, neither will the QS8s. The positioning doesn't have to be absolutely symmetrical on both sides, and if a foot back on one side is possible, that'll do.

The top driver should have at least 6" of room to "bounce" sound off the ceiling, so adjust your vertical spacing accordingly.
Posted By: madjak Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 05:07 AM
JohnK,

Thanks for that. One more thing. How much space do I need for the horizontal speakers on the Qs8s? As you can see from the photos, One of them will be nearish to an Air Conditioner and the window will have a pelmet box.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 05:13 AM
Same general idea: at least a few inches of separation so that the sound from the tweeter can bounce into the room.
Posted By: madjak Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 05:22 AM
kewl. Will post pics when done. I have to wait till the weekend.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/20/10 07:11 PM
Well, looks like JohnK has this one handled...

G'luck, madjak.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/21/10 02:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
If the door and windows don't mind, neither will the QS8s.

This cracks my up!
Posted By: fredk Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/21/10 02:13 AM
As long as it doesn't crack the windows up.

Happy bday majak. Thats a nice present you got from the boss! Got your play list ready?
Posted By: madjak Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/21/10 02:35 AM
Thanks Fred,

Yep, doing the install on Saturday. Already figured out the placement.

With a bit of luck I should be finished by Midday, then i can spend a good six hours or more doing some rigorous testing.

I will report back when it's done...

Posted By: Murph Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/21/10 06:22 PM
Excellent !!!
I always get exited hearing about others first run at setting up new speakers. I don't know why as it's unlikely I'll every step foot in your HT but I guess it just pleasantly reminds me of my own excitement back when I started.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/22/10 07:15 PM
I would put the center below the screen (or at whatever level the mains are). I had my vp150 on top of a large big screen tv for years, but it is now below the tv and roughly level with my mains midranges. the difference is pretty amazing.

i also think the asymetrical placement of the surrounds is not a huge deal. just don't mount them TOO high.
Posted By: Micah Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/22/10 07:48 PM
Heck I'm not an 'old timer' here at Axiom by any means, still it brings goose bumps when I read on here that someone's made the purchase and is awaiting their HT package to arrive! It takes me back to when all of mine arrived at the door and I got to unwrap every last one of them and hook them up. Some have said it took a bit of placement experiments before they started to get the sound out of them that they were looking for, however I still remember hooking the M80's up to the reciever and playing the radio through them as I wired up the rest of the speakers.

Even the DJ's voice sounded like diamonds, sex and heaven all blended together and then unleashed upon my ears! Getting the placement just right was the icing ontop of the icing. A day I'll never forget to be sure. ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Speakers arrived - Placement advice - 01/22/10 07:54 PM
Since I can't afford to purchase the system I want all at once, it's going to be an ongoing thing over the next 2 years. (Somewhere I've got to save and buy another car and fix up the house in this time frame also.) So, for me, at least, the excitement is going to be an ongoing thing. (Good thing I've got plenty of blood pressure medicine). I'm still awaiting the arrival of a W100, some banana plugs and speaker wire, that is due in the next hour or so here at work.
© Axiom Message Boards