Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiomoholic Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 04:53 PM
Anyone ever mounted w22's up Side down? I have the speakers presently hanging in line with my LCD panel, which was mounted high because of children in home. End result is that the w22 tweeters are about 22" above ear level when seated.

I had the idea the other day that if I flipped speakers over, the tweeters would be on bottom - at perfect ear level.

Can anyone see an issue with this- other than the fact that my speakers would be named - "WOIXV"? Note that these are bottom ported speakers- ports would now aim at 14 foot sloped ceiling...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 04:58 PM
My W100 will only mount one way properly. I'm sure that it will be the same with the W22's, but I haven't ordered them yet.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 05:12 PM
It will work but you have to flip the bracket over, and then hope the speakers are tight enough in the bracket to stay up as you lock them up instead of down. As stated the other problem is dust in the ports.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 05:52 PM
The notches on the speakers need to be on the up side. If they are on the down side, with bracket flipped, I think that the speaker would just slide out without locking in place.

Edit: I have the W100 and it doesn't "lock" very tight. It relys on gravity to hold it in place.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 05:57 PM
I agree, not sure I would trust turning upside down.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 06:09 PM
I'm going to have the same issue with mine after I mount the W22's in the wall. There will be about anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 feet difference above my ears, depending on where I'm seated. With the W100, it is about 2 to 3 feet below my ears.

Not a perfect situation, but I can live with it. I think that the MCACC EQ adjustments in the Pioneer will help make up for the difference.
Thanks for the advice... Assuming I was able to rig a tab that would hold the w22 into place; would the new location of the tweeter make the effort worthwhile? I guess this depends on how forgiving the sweet spot is; anyone with the bookself units care to comment on how much of an effect relocating your speakers had on sound? I sit about eleven feet from speakers.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 06:24 PM
Before you permanately install the speakers, you could experiment with a stepladder or some other method. The tweeters have a good dispersion, so you may not notice any difference...
Posted By: Murph Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 06:42 PM
Stupid Gravity! Thinks it's so smart.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 06:46 PM
Funny, I always thought of gravity of a big, dumb jock that knew that no one could stop it from doing what it wanted.
Posted By: Murph Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 06:53 PM
But apparently it can be thwarted by mad scientists with sound waves and goldfish.

Using sound waves to levitate gold fish.

Although I think gravity still won as it doessn't sound like it ended well for the goldfish.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 08:07 PM
Hmmmm. I don't see any earmuffs on that goldfish. "Cruelty to animals".
"The Levitating Goldfish" would be a cool name for a band.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/02/10 08:28 PM
How about "The Rolling Stones: Re-levitated".
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Mounting on-wall W22's up side down ? - 02/03/10 03:21 AM
The thing is, the speaker WILL slide the other way in the bracket, you just have to cut the little tab off the top part of the back casing on the speaker itself, otherwise it won't slide into the bracket at all. Then, you could mount them upside down with the bracket the normal way, and lock them down into place.

I still don't like the ports being up though. How far back are you from them? If more than 8 or 10 feet I wouldn't worry at all.
© Axiom Message Boards