Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SNAFU Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 03:51 AM
Okay, I have decided to purchase the Onkyo TX-NR3007 along with the Oppo BDP-83, and hook all of this to my existing Panasonic Plasma TV 50". The speaker system I am looking at is the Epic Grand Master - 500. My biggest problem is center channel location.
I was wondering, if I place the CC on top of entertainment center angling down would that work? They say front speakers tweeters should be inline with center channel, I think? I do not have much "play" to offset tonal balance,can only go right and left. So does that mean adjusting front speakers instead? If center channel was on top of entertainment center, then does that mean mounting the M22's to the wall instead of stands? Any advice is appreciated, recommendations welcomed about equipment I have chosen too! Thanks
Oh, one last question, if I go with the Onkyo 9.1 channel, can I still run 5.1 for now? (Need to save for additional speakers)
Thanks again.

Cannot find where to attach a picture of the entertainment center!?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 03:55 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't stress too much on the tweeter lineup. Angling the center down is a popular option. Me, I angle my center up, but I'm weird.

As to how to post a picture, either you can upload one in the gallery (make sure it's around 800x600 pixes, not too much larger), or you can host it somewhere else and then link it in a regular post, using the [ image] [/image ] tags.
Posted By: RickF Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 03:58 AM
SNAF I use two center channel speakers, one below and one above the screen and just angle them directly towards the listening area. As long as you angle the speaker to your listening area you should be just fine but make sure the leading edge of the speaker isn't recessed in the entertainment center, have it even with the front edge or maybe protruding a tad out from the edge of the entertainment center shelf.

You can run 2.1 with your 9.1 Onkyo if you want, no problem whatsoever.

Welcome!
Posted By: SNAFU Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:19 AM
Okay, I subsribed to flickr, let see if I can do this the first time! Once you see the picture, it will all make sense. [img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/hochh2000/4350636248/[/img]

Thought a picture would show up, first forum I have ever joined that would not let you post pics.....
Posted By: Wid Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:23 AM

Here ya go.

Posted By: SNAFU Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:25 AM
how ya did that, common, let me in on this little secret! I cannot be a dumb ass my whole life!?
Posted By: RickF Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:25 AM
SNAF, you'll be good with the CC on top of the entertainment center ... nice looking setup you have there!
Posted By: RickF Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: SNAFU
how ya did that, common, let me in on this little secret! I cannot be a dumb ass my whole life!?

Yea you can, unless that's the grandchild sitting in the other room I'd guess you're younger than me and I've been a dumb ass my entire life ... you just have to learn how to work with it. \:D
Posted By: SNAFU Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:31 AM
Thanks for the info! I had a carpenter friend build it for me, the two panels are both removable on both sides of TV, so I can get an even BIGGER TV later! ;\)

Now second question, should I hang the two front speakers, are put them on stands? Thanks again for the input! \:\)
Posted By: SNAFU Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:35 AM
thats my kid, and my b-day is today, so I am 43. the wife said happy birthday, and gave me "FIVE GRAND" to replace my Bose 321 GSX system! Man, she has been NICE, since our beloved New Orleans Saints won the Superbowl! (I hope they win next year) ;\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:36 AM
The vp150 is designed so that it tilts up on 1 side, and then aims down when you flip it on the other to accommodate both above and below TV locations.

Mine is under my TV aiming up.
Posted By: Wid Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 04:47 AM

I would use stands.
Posted By: PhillipD Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 07:44 AM
that is one kick ass entertainment unit I love it, I did have a few drink so "love" is used loosley LOL. Is it Maple?
Posted By: HAY Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 02:04 PM
It looks as though you have enough depth to put the center channel in front of the tv. Is the center channel too high though?
Posted By: SNAFU Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 02:25 PM
Yes, unit is maple and the two panels on both sides of the TV are removable so daddy can get a bigger TV later! ;\)
There is not enough depth about a 1-1/2 overhang, I would have to push TV back further to cabinet for depth, and the speakers height is almost at the bottom of the screen.
Posted By: Micah Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 02:44 PM
[/quote]

Life is good when you have carpenter friends eh? Yes you can angle your center channel down, I do this myself without issue. My only real concern is that down grading from Bose to an inferior speaker like Axiom, how are you going to cope with the loss off those infamous 'waves' that the Bose emit???

;\)

Just yankin your chain a little buddy, we tend to poke fun of Bose here from time to time. I can't wait to hear your first impressions from going directly from Bose to Axiom myself. Keep us posted!
Posted By: RickF Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/12/10 03:24 PM
David if it were me I believe I'd also put the speakers on stands.

The Ricks have spoken.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Speaker Placement Advice - 02/13/10 04:23 AM
with stands you can place the speakers where they will sound their best, you will need to experiment to find this spot though. You have a lot to learn now that you are moving away from the HT in a box. But you will also get a much better sounding system.
© Axiom Message Boards