Axiom Home Page
Posted By: NDinUSA B&K AVR307 - 03/06/10 09:05 PM
My 9 year old B&K AVR307 started making a buzzing noise. It sounded like a relay was buzzing or something. It had a 5 year parts and labor warranty. But since the volume control was also acting up (not being linear anymore but fine when using the remote), I decided to send it to B&K to get it fixed. I was ready to get it upgraded to the AVR507 equivalent ($499) if it was going to cost a lot to get it fixed. I never got a call from B&K saying the 307 was too far gone and it would be cheaper to just upgrade to the 507. So when my dealer said my unit was in, I thought, well I hope it didn’t cost too much to fix. I was really surprised and happy when I saw the bill:

Replaced the power supply filter capacitors - $0.00
Replaced leaky relay capacitor(s) - $0.00
Replaced volume controller - $0.00
Replaced weak (not bright) display -$0.00
Upgraded to newer (larger) amplifier heat sinks - $0.00
Flashed to the newest software version -$0.00
Freight from ND to NY and back -$31.00

Awesome customer service! Especially for a unit 4 years out of warranty!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/06/10 09:21 PM
In this day and age of disposable products and planned obsolescence, that's a truly remarkable story that speaks just as well for B&K as it does for your dealer. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Wid Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/06/10 09:21 PM

Very good. I had the same happen with a M&K sub years ago. It's nice when a company goes beyond what is expected.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/06/10 09:35 PM
Nice to know about these things!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/06/10 10:07 PM
Very cool. A bit more than I want to spend on a receiver, but it sounds like you're getting your money's worth.
Posted By: grunt Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/06/10 10:23 PM
Wow that’s really cool that they took care of you like that. They would easily be my first consideration when it came to upgrade time.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/06/10 10:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: NDinUSA
My 9 year old B&K ...

Originally Posted By: wid
I had the same happen with a M&K sub years ago.

That's it!

From now on, I only buy "Blank & K" equipment!
Posted By: medic8r Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 04:19 PM
If you had started this sooner, you might have saved S&K Menswear.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 04:22 PM
No wonder they're going under. I've never heard of them!

Of course, the fact I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to clothes doesn't help, either...
Posted By: Adrian Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 04:47 PM
I hate to see businesses close down, there's been a lot through this recession and every trade/hobby show I've been to this winter, has had less vendors than usual.
Posted By: Micah Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 04:56 PM
It is unfortunate. Business, just like life in the wild, is survival of the fittest. But it's not as easy as launching a good product in the market and having high hopes and good intentions. Once a company moves from being a small outfit to a big business it has to contend with it's fair share of espionage, idea theft, vicious rumor mills, and the stock market. And I would have to say the fashion industry is one of the most finicky of all businesses.

You can be up on top of the world one day, where everything you stamp your name on is gold. Then in the blink of an eye the thirteen year olds of the world consider you old news and within a year nobody will buy anything with your name on it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 04:57 PM
How on earth has Gap stayed in business, then?
Posted By: Adrian Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 05:08 PM
There's way too many(women's) clothing stores around. Look at any mall directory in North America and 3/4 of the merchants are selling women's clothes or shoes.

:::imagines all of those stores selling audio equip't, hardware/tools, cycling and fishing supplies...::: \:D
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 05:11 PM
Heh. If men were actually buying all that stuff in stores, there would be more stores.
Posted By: RickF Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 05:51 PM
"A Window On Your World ... Fashions by Rick" would be the name of my line if I were a women's clothing designer.

I missed my calling.
Posted By: Micah Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 06:00 PM
I would name my blue jean company 'SEX'. Because everyone knows sex sells.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 06:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
"A Window On Your World ... Fashions by Rick" would be the name of my line if I were a women's clothing designer.

I missed my calling.

No.

It doesn't sound like you did.

Posted By: alan Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 06:12 PM
Hi ND,

It is gratifying to see service like that. On the other hand, B&K gear, like Bryston and Macintosh, is very expensive compared to many other brands, so it's almost as if you are paying up-front for the long-term service.

In 2001, the B&K AVR307 cost $3500. The 5.1-channel version was $3000.

Still, it's wonderful service and speaks highly of the company.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/07/10 07:07 PM
 Quote:
I would name my blue jean company 'SEX'. Because everyone knows sex sells.

I think someone already did that.
Posted By: Micah Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/08/10 12:18 AM
Hmmm... well since I've never seen 'SEX' on the back of someone's pants, then I guess I've been proven wrong.

I'm glad I didn't sink millions of dollars into being proven wrong. I'll take being proven wrong on an Axiom forum over losing millions of dollars any day.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/08/10 12:51 AM
Who said I had proof?
Posted By: Micah Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/08/10 12:55 AM
In the fashion world, a rumor is all the proof it takes ;\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/08/10 12:59 AM
Touché.

Much as in other worlds centered around absurdity, such as finance and politics.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/08/10 03:31 PM
B&K is made in the USA. I think that probably mattered in this case. Good story.
Posted By: Micah Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/08/10 04:22 PM
There is a motto in the business world that goes, "if you bring a quality product to market that people want and can't get anywhere else, then you can charge what ever you like for it".

Since B&K probably doesn't have any more bells and whistles than anyone else's AVR, then perhaps their customer service is what they rely on to stand out from the crowd.

If so, kudo's to them. I feel Axiom's customer service definately makes them stand out from the rest.
Posted By: Zask Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/14/10 07:20 PM
I have the 307 also..I have no sub in 2 channel stereo only in 5.1. Is that normal or is there a setting for 2.1? Thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/14/10 07:31 PM
Perhaps there is a setting to change your fronts to small, and that would kick in the sub?
Posted By: JohnK Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/15/10 02:28 AM
Tim, you didn't describe what bass management and mode settings you used, but as Ken mentioned, a basic point is to set the mains "small". Another point is to not use a "direct" mode which doesn't provide any bass management to send bass from the mains to the sub.
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/15/10 08:29 PM
Zask - I usually listen to the 307 in "Stereo 7". I have all my speakers set to large and the sub set to "ultra" (sends bass to speakers as well as sub).
Posted By: Micah Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/16/10 04:39 PM
All your speakers? What are you using for your center and surrounds? While I run my M80's 'large', QS & VP series speakers are not meant for reproducing bass.
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/16/10 05:36 PM
Micah - The 307 sounds better with all speakers set to large IMO. Even though the VP's and Q's aren't meant to reproduce bass, they get enough bass in "Stereo 7" mode to make the music sound better to me. I never have it loud enough to cause them any damage.
Posted By: Micah Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/16/10 10:01 PM
Well they are you're speakers, I just didn't want to see you damage anything unintentionally. However it sounds like you're on top of what you like the best. As long as you're happy, I'm happy! ;\)
Posted By: Zask Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/17/10 01:27 AM
Micah - The 307 sounds better with all speakers set to large IMO. Even though the VP's and Q's aren't meant to reproduce bass, they get enough bass in "Stereo 7" mode to make the music sound better to me. I never have it loud enough to cause them any damage.

I have the best sound ever out of the 307 now that I am able to run the 80s on large.

Also, I like using the loudness EQ.. Did you ever set up your room EQ? I find it a little confusing.
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/17/10 01:41 PM
Zask - I also like the loudness EQ especially at lower listening levels. Great sounding machine. As far as the room EQ, the 307 only has one notch filter for lower frequecies. I'm trying to do this from memory, so I may not get everything correct. In the EQ page, there should be access to a tone generator. Using an SPL meter (or by ear if you have good ears) and the tone generator, scan thru all the frequecies. The freqency that causes the loudest level on the SPL (or by ear) is the frequecy that should be notched a bit. Lower the db level of that loudest sounding frequency to a level of about the rest of the frequecies (they will all vary somewhat). Do this from about the position where you will sit the most as different areas of the room will produce different results.

Did you get your sub to produce results in stereo? Have you tried setting your 307 sub out setting to "ultra"? I like that setting the best. And if I have to tweak the sub level for different movies, then I can just use the remote to adjust it down or up.
Posted By: Zask Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/17/10 05:09 PM
Zask - I also like the loudness EQ especially at lower listening levels. Great sounding machine. As far as the room EQ, the 307 only has one notch filter for lower frequecies. I'm trying to do this from memory, so I may not get everything correct. In the EQ page, there should be access to a tone generator. Using an SPL meter (or by ear if you have good ears) and the tone generator, scan thru all the frequecies. The freqency that causes the loudest level on the SPL (or by ear) is the frequecy that should be notched a bit. Lower the db level of that loudest sounding frequency to a level of about the rest of the frequecies (they will all vary somewhat). Do this from about the position where you will sit the most as different areas of the room will produce different results.

Did you get your sub to produce results in stereo? Have you tried setting your 307 sub out setting to "ultra"? I like that setting the best. And if I have to tweak the sub level for different movies, then I can just use the remote to adjust it down or up.

Thanks you cleared up the room EQ question for me, I was thinking there were " multiple" notches okay I understand that.

I got sub to come on when I set speakers to small in stereo.

Ultra sub setting??? this is new to me I will check that out thanks for sharing
Posted By: Zask Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/20/10 04:09 AM
Notched a nasty 30-35 mhz peak, threw in the Incredible Hulk, my PB12 PLUS2 moved about 5 inches and the hard hits were dimming the lights. Even the wife smiled

I suspect dimming lights not a good thing?
Posted By: jakewash Re: B&K AVR307 - 03/20/10 05:35 PM
It is a very good thing, especially if the wife is smiling ;\)
© Axiom Message Boards