Axiom Home Page
Does that sound rather obvious? Like do most of you prefer your own HT over the local offering as well?

It's not always been that way for me. You see not only am I a huge movie buff, but I have always been a huge 'movie theater' buff as well! Ever since I was a kid, watching 'Star Wars' for the first time on the silver screen, I've been in love with every aspect of going to the movies. So even though I've had my own HT for over a decade now, it's never slowed me down from going to the movies at all. I still visit my Cine-plex every other week at the very least.

The strange thing is, I've started to notice, during the last 3 or 4 movies I've gone to see, that movie theaters (at least the Kerasotes Theaters around these parts), just don't pump out a whole lot of bass. Which seems strange that I'm just now noticing that, because I've always been mesmerized by the way a movie sounds in the theater. It has always been my goal to try to come as close as I can to achieve the same results as they do in my HT. So why it's taken me all this time to realize that the bass in my HT kicks so much more ass than the bass down at the movie theater is... mind boggling?

It was sort of a surreal discovery to tell you the truth. The little woman and I went to see a couple flicks over the weekend, and then we came home and watched a few movies in our HT, and suddenly everything, from the opening credits on just seemed so much more ... INTENSE! I could feel everything going on in the movies we watched at home so much better than at the cinema. All of a sudden the movie theater has become hollow feeling to me. Have the tremendous bass capabilities of my Axiom speakers slowly spoiled me? That's about the best explanation as I can come up with. How else could a 33 year old love-affair with the Cine-Plex suddenly lose it's appeal like that? It makes no sense man!

And of course its really no fair. I don't know how big, or how many subwoofers they'd have to pack in a theater to be able to manage the same SPL in that large of an area as I can achieve in my living room, but it'd be quite a lot! Yes it really is totally unfair. Quite similar to how unfair it it is for my living room to try to compete with my car audio system. Obviously the smaller the area in question, the easier it is to pressurize. I'm just amazed that it took me this long to realize all of this.

I'm going to go see 'Clash of the Titans' down at the iMAX theater next weekend. Its been a while since I've been to one, so it'll be interesting to see if I'm let down by the bass there as well. As far as I can remember iMAX theaters have far superior audio systems than a standard theater... head and shoulders better. But I'm thinking it's still not going to shake me like my HT does, pulsate through my bones and give me a virtual body massage while watching a movie. I don't remember it being THAT much better.

It's sort of sad in a way. Because going to the movies has always been one of my favorite things to do. But at the same time I guess I have to say it's also pretty damn cool that HT technology has evolved to the point that I can enjoy this level of performance every single day! Aaaahhhhh, life is good \:D
I didn't go to theaters for years until just recently. During that time, I've just been using either Blockbuster on-line or for the past few years Netflix, and buying a new movie about once every week or 2. I then switched from a HTIB to a pair of M22's with VP100 center. I went to see Crazy Heart at an AMC a few days ago and I was disappointed in how lousy the theater sound was compared to what little I had at home.
Haha, that's funny. Because 'Crazy Heart' was one of the movies we went to go see on Saturday. Not that it was some crazy intense action flick or anything, but there was the car crash scene and I thought the music would really sound great. But like you said, it just couldn't compare to what I experience in my own living room these days.
I haven't been to the local theater since I got my Axiom setup, no reason to...
There are usually 2, maybe 3 movies a year that I "can't wait" to see and thus go to the theater... but that's about the only reason to do it.
There are the occasional movies I don't want to wait to see, but mostly I just go to have something to do with friends.
I want to see the new dragon 3D thing in the theater. This would be my first time in probably 5 years.
I would see that. Have to support Jay Baruchel, right?
Yep, I'm pretty much the same. Avatar was going to be the first movie I went to in well over a year but I dragged my feet.
The only movie I’ve seen at the theater in 7 years is Aeon Flux because I needed to kill a few hours while having a car alarm installed. Now with my HT I can’t see any reason I would go to a theater again.
Generally only go to a theater to take the kids, so they get that movie theater experience and then hopefully they will appreciate my system that much more \:\)
But don't you miss those wet sneezes on the back of your neck
Depending on the type of theater you were in, that likely wasn't a wet sneeze, 2x6.
I enjoy going to movie theaters to watch movies, though probably mostly for the popcorn. However, it is now so expensive, and there is such a good chance that someone in the theater will be annoying, I usually just stay home and watch movies. Can't say that I prefer the sound at home versus the theater (or vice versa), but the experience at home with the home theater and quality televisions is so enjoyable that in my book there is no "need" to go out to watch a movie. All-in-all, I simply prefer the home experience to the movie theater experience.
The last time I went to the movie theater was around 10 years ago. They just built a brand new Galaxy Cinema, and there was a lot of hype built up around its accessibility, so I thought I would check it out.

The movie theater was extremely accessible with ramps everywhere that looked like they were part of the Cinema (they didn't stand out like a ramp made out of wood). So, my friend and I get into the theater to get ready for the movie, and their wheelchair seating section was for rows from the screen. Now, it wouldn't have been so bad if you are sitting in a "theater chair" and slightly tilted back, but my wheelchair was positioned on a flat surface (essentially the walkway) and I had to tilt my head back to look at this gigantic screen. Needless to say, I only lasted about 10-15 minutes, then had to watch the remainder of the movie with my head straight and my eyes looking up. I couldn't get up the next day because my neck was so sore.

It continues to amaze me how things are designed to be accessible, but they're only done so partially, as with this case, or not at all.

My friends and family are very aware of the accessibility issues, even if they're designed with accessibility in mind.

That's just one instance, no need to carry on about others.

Oh wait, one more: if there's someone waiting in line at an elevator that has mobility issues, or someone with a stroller etc., give them the right of way! That really ticks everyone I know off.

Well, that's my rant for the day, or moment at least \:\) .

PS. I don't claim to have any sort of hierarchy, just trying to inform for the better.
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Oh wait, one more: if there's someone waiting in line at an elevator that has mobility issues, or someone with a stroller etc., give them the right of way! That really ticks everyone I know off.
I always have and have noticed that sentiment from others waiting in line \:D

Mojo says Hi!
I have a hard time biting my tongue when it happens. If I've had a couple drinks, I'm almost always next on the elevator .

Hey Mojo, dude!
Wow, I guess that was the 'Duh, big red truck' thread of the day then. I had no idea that the majority of the members of this forum only frequent an actual cinema a few times per decade. Looks like I'm definately in the minority here on this one then. We'll anyway, apart from really liking physically going to see a movie, I guess it also stems from my being terribly impatient! When I see a super cool looking flick, I just can't wait 4 - 5 months for it to come out on DVD (anyone here with a funny bone should pick up the first pirated copy of 'Hot Tub Time Machine' that comes out!!!). I'd go nuts.

Also, Cam I had no idea you'd been in your wheelchair that long? Shoot man I'm sorry to hear that. I can't say that I've never got on an elevator before a person in a wheelchair has, but if I have I certainly wasn't using my head. To tell you the truth I can't even remember ever riding an elevator with someone in a wheelchair... anyhow, what I'm trying to say is that I would never do anything like that on purpose. But from now on I will make it a point to become more aware of that sort of situation, and make sure I never accidentally do something boneheaded like that.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I'm starting to prefer my HT over the local one... - 03/30/10 09:17 PM
I used to love going to the theatre but hadn't been there in 7 years or so. Recently my wife really really wanted to see Avitar so I took her there for her birthday. Huge screen, great picture, awesome sound, exhilurating...I wondered why I had stayed away for so long.

Then 20min into the movie the guy in the seat next to me has his cell phone go off. He answers, talks and then turns off the ringer but leaves the vibrate on. He gets calls throughout the entire movie, maybe 5 or 6 in total. I can hear the vibrate go off every time, I can hear him typing every time, and his screen shines into my peripheral vision every time. THEN I remembered why I stopped going to the theatre.

Anyhow, my HT isn't ready yet so I didn't have an option, but once it's all setup I'm not leaving the room.
 Originally Posted By: Micah

Also, Cam I had no idea you'd been in your wheelchair that long? Shoot man I'm sorry to hear that. I can't say that I've never got on an elevator before a person in a wheelchair has, but if I have I certainly wasn't using my head. To tell you the truth I can't even remember ever riding an elevator with someone in a wheelchair... anyhow, what I'm trying to say is that I would never do anything like that on purpose. But from now on I will make it a point to become more aware of that sort of situation, and make sure I never accidentally do something boneheaded like that.

Yeah man, I had my accident when I was 18, and I'm 32 now. No worries though, I have a roof over my head and food on my plate.

The only reason I mention these things is in hopes that people will use their better judgment. Heck, if I was able bodied I wouldn't know any better.
 Quote:
I had no idea that the majority of the members of this forum only frequent an actual cinema a few times per decade.

I watch movies where I get the best quality experience for the $. That is now my HT. I have actually gone to a couple of IMAX (Omnimax) movies in the last year. The reason. They deliver something I can't get at home.
I used to enjoy going to the movies quite a bit but we go less and less because the experience doesn't compare that well anymore to what we have at home, and besides the occasional blockbuster like Avatar my wife says let's wait for the bluray because the sound is so much better at home.
Yeah, Peter; brings to mind the oldie: "Name two Americans who were shot in the back of the head while attending the theater". Answer: Abraham Lincoln and the guy sitting in front of Peewee Herman.
Lol, I think that might be the first joke I've heard you crack around here John! \:D

Although I must admit I haven't been on this forum all that long. So I suppose I've missed a few zingers over the years eh. ;\)
Go back to the beginning of the joke thread, Micah.
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999

If they're hot, then sure thing.
We do m 1 movie per year out of the house at most. Prefer the axioms and a cold beer \:\)
The last movie I watched at cinema was "Madagascar:Escape to Africa", just to bring along my kids. But you know what they said?

They said,"Papa, why the screen look blur-blur unlike our TV at home?"

There you go, I would stays at home and wait for BD...:p
But if your beer is too cold, you can't really taste it.
I just watch movies with headphones on my laptop.
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I just watch movies with headphones on my laptop.

That's it.

We banish you.
Awww, man...
Ooh, council membership REVOKED.
I listen to my Audiobytes just about every day, though!
I guess you can just about be on the council, then! Ha ha.
What we wanna know is what speakers you sleep with.
...with single or double port hole? :p
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Wow, I guess that was the 'Duh, big red truck' thread of the day then. I had no idea that the majority of the members of this forum only frequent an actual cinema a few times per decade. Looks like I'm definately in the minority here on this one then. We'll anyway, apart from really liking physically going to see a movie, I guess it also stems from my being terribly impatient!

While I love my HT, I still go with the family to see movies at least 4 or 5 times a year. My 46 inch TV is no comparison to the big screen. If I really enjoy a movie that I have seen at the theater, I buy the DVD to watch in my HT. If I suspect the movie is not worth paying theater prices, I view it through Netflix.
So what I'm hearing is that you need a new, bigger TV?
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
But if your beer is too cold, you can't really taste it.

I like my whiskey room temperature but my beer nice and cold :).

After a few minutes out of the fridge it warms up a bit
There's an M50 within 2 feet of my head when I'm in bed. Is that better?

It's not hooked up to anything, though...
Hey, I've been in the market for an expensive but really skinny endtable. Thanks for the idea!
© Axiom Message Boards