Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueJays1 Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/12/10 04:23 PM
I'm curious if anyone with dual VP100's has ever tried them as mains placed vertically or if Axiom has ever "snuck" a pair of vertical VP100's into a bookshelf double blind test that had the M22's in them? I bet they would work well as mains. You would also have the benefit of having the option of a matching horizontal centre speaker. ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/12/10 04:37 PM
I have run my single VP100 vertically using a mono signal and it sounded really good, not quite as warm as an M22 due to the lack of a port. Running a full LCR with the VP100 inside a bookshelf/entertainment center should work very well as this set up would have no rear porting to worry about.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/12/10 04:49 PM
I think Alan said some have tried this with surprisingly good results. As Jay mentioned, it won't sound as full as an M22 would.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/12/10 04:59 PM
Interesting. Once you add a sub which either of these speaker needs, the differences would be even more subtle. Certainly with the sealed nature of the VP100 would probably be beneficial in some rooms.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/12/10 05:53 PM
I know Ian and Alan tried it with VP150s and were pleased with the results, but that was many years ago. Don't know about the VP100s.
Posted By: grunt Re: Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/12/10 05:56 PM
Audioholics did a test of center channel speakers both horizontally and vertically for off axis frequency variation and in each case every one performed better vertically. So theoretically it should help improve performance across a row of seating especially if very wide.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/lou...evaluation.html
Posted By: HAY Re: Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/15/10 03:57 AM
I tried VP150's vertically and thought they sounded pretty good. In this link I mentioned it and a couple posts after Alan gave a similar comment.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Vertical VP100's as mains - 04/15/10 04:23 AM
Sure; it should be kept in mind that Dr. D'Appolito's original MTM design was intended as a vertical main speaker which would have wider horizontal dispersion to promote greater spaciousness and narrower vertical dispersion, primarily to reduce the floor bounce dip in the upper bass/lower mid-range. Flopping it over on its side defeats the primary design purposes.
© Axiom Message Boards