Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TinCanMan Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/11/10 11:40 PM

Hi again all,

About to pull the trigger here on a home theater setup with a default setup of M22s+VP100+QS4s. These will go with my Outlaw LFM-1+ sub and an Onkyo 707.

However, I find myself with a little extra cash and am considering upgrading something. Would you recommend VP100->VP150 or QS4->QS8 and why?

My room is medium to small and blu-rays will be 99% of the action.

Thanks!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/11/10 11:56 PM
I would opt for the QS8's over the QS4's for their greater range and power. From what others have said over the time I've been here, the VP100 to 150 doesn't sound like as big of an upgrade/difference as the the QS8 to QS4 would be(we're splitting hairs a bit). On the other hand...because your room is fairly small, you may opt to stick with your original plan and just buy a few more movies with the extra $$!
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 12:30 AM
I've got a tiny room 11x10.5.....

Moving from the QS4s to QS8s for the sides made a big difference....

Then I added QS8s for the backs, another big difference!

Well then I went from a W100 to a W150 for the center (sortof) I kept the W100 and am running over and under dual centers... It made a big difference....

I'm not helping you am I?
Posted By: TinCanMan Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 12:37 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
On the other hand...because your room is fairly small, you may opt to stick with your original plan and just buy a few more movies with the extra $$!

Good point... reason I got thinking about this at all is that there seemed to be some merit in having 5.25" speakers all round, rather than the 4-inchers on the QS4s. Could be wrong about that.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 12:42 AM
I have the QS8's and VP100. I'm very happy with both.

The QS8's will play a bit lower than the QS4's, which might make a difference relative to not being able to localize some surround material that is produced by the sub.

Or it might not. Your room, your ears and all that.
Posted By: Wid Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 12:49 AM

I went from the 100 to the 150 and it made a pretty good size difference. I run the 150 with the QS4s and I'm really happy with the combo.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 02:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: TinCanMan
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
On the other hand...because your room is fairly small, you may opt to stick with your original plan and just buy a few more movies with the extra $$!

Good point... reason I got thinking about this at all is that there seemed to be some merit in having 5.25" speakers all round, rather than the 4-inchers on the QS4s. Could be wrong about that.

Myself and all that have listened.. agree .. the QS8s made a difference over the QS4s ... but just my opinion .. but I am talking movies .. not so much music .. and there is the trade up program .. only cost me bout $70 US
Posted By: TinCanMan Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 02:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm

Myself and all that have listened.. agree .. the QS8s made a difference over the QS4s ... but just my opinion .. but I am talking movies .. not so much music .. and there is the trade up program .. only cost me bout $70 US

?! That is cheaper than the difference new.

I am leaning towards the QS8s. The 150 seems like overkill for my room... and upgrading the surrounds is slightly cheaper too.

FWIW, Brent Tombari at Axiom endorsed my original choice of M22/VP100/QS4, but I can't leave well enough alone!
Posted By: Micah Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 04:17 AM

FWIW, Brent Tombari at Axiom endorsed my original choice of M22/VP100/QS4, but I can't leave well enough alone!

Whew, ok we didn't quite know about you... up till now. It has suddenly become apparent that you are one of us.... welcome! \:\)
Posted By: Argon Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 11:47 AM
I would buy a kayak.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 01:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm

?! That is cheaper than the difference new.

I meant $70 more after the difference in speaker cost \:\)

I was about 2 weeks over my 30 days \:\(
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 01:33 PM
Man, I wish my 4s were new enough so that upgrading to 8s only cost me $70. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Micah Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 01:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Man, I wish my 4s were new enough so that upgrading to 8s only cost me $70. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

I dare you to find another sentence like that one in the human language.
Posted By: Argon Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 01:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

I dare you to find another sentence like that one in the human language.

You should talk to some of our IT folks. They can generate long paragraphs of just acronyms. Not a word of english.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 03:19 PM
I have the VP100 and VP150 and there is a marginal increase in low end performance/tonality, but not enough IMO to upgrade to unless you need to fill a larger room as the 150 will play a little louder.

Look for a post from Danmagicman, he did an A/B comparison of the QS series. IIRC he said the 8s are the way to go, better tonal match for the rest of the Axiom speakers with the 5 1/4 drivers. The 4s are good , but the 8s are just that much better
Posted By: TinCanMan Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 04:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I have the VP100 and VP150 and there is a marginal increase in low end performance/tonality, but not enough IMO to upgrade to unless you need to fill a larger room as the 150 will play a little louder.

Look for a post from Danmagicman, he did an A/B comparison of the QS series. IIRC he said the 8s are the way to go, better tonal match for the rest of the Axiom speakers with the 5 1/4 drivers. The 4s are good , but the 8s are just that much better

OK thanks.
Posted By: TinCanMan Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 04:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
I would buy a kayak.

Good idea, but I already have a kayak in the room, so that is covered.
Posted By: Micah Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 08:18 PM
Q : What do you buy a man with everything?

A : A spare something.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 09:13 PM
My vote is for the QS8s. I have a smallish room, ~10x20, HT area is only 10x10, but the QS8s range is great. Especially if you put music on in 5ch.

snazzed

I love the QS8s. I've never heard surrounds as good.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 10:03 PM
Another vote for QS8s, at least that's what I did when faced with the same choice (so I'm running M60s, VP100 and QS8's). I also felt that I would be happier with the same size drivers all round.

Besides, that way you won't feel so bad a few years from now when you weaken and upgrade to a VP180 ;\)
Posted By: HTGEEK Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/12/10 11:58 PM
I would go with the QS8 as well.....then you can just buy VP150 off me when I upgrade to the 180 in a few weeks..
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/13/10 12:53 AM

A: Dos Equis
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/13/10 12:56 AM

A : A spare something.

A second A1400-8...
Posted By: TinCanMan Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/13/10 01:35 AM

Is anyone using the full metal ceiling bracket for their QS4/QS8's? It seems like they only leave ~3 inches space between the top woofer and the ceiling, yet the QS8 manual says they should be 5-6" from the ceiling. What gives?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/13/10 01:59 AM
TCM, what gives is that the exact amount of space isn't crucial, as long as there're a few inches for the the top mid-woofer to bounce off the ceiling.
Posted By: TinCanMan Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/13/10 02:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
TCM, what gives is that the exact amount of space isn't crucial, as long as there're a few inches for the the top mid-woofer to bounce off the ceiling.

OK, but the QS8 manual says "at least" 5-6" inches. I suppose by angling the FMB I could get close to that.
Posted By: TinCanMan Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/13/10 02:19 PM
The solution to my upgrade dilemma was so obvious that I missed it! Hence, I just pulled the trigger on a VP150 AND 2 QS8s to go with a set of M22s.

Thanks to all the folks here for helping me out with selecting speakers! (My wallet doesn't thank you, though, for talking me into blowing my speaker budget by 50%)
Posted By: Nashvegas Rocks Re: Upgrade choice: VP150 or QS8 - 05/13/10 02:50 PM
TinCan, I am glad you found a solution to the lack of a problem lol. I too have the same setup as you originally were looking at (M22's, VP100,QS4's) I am now saving up for monoblocks, why you ask for the upgrade to the M80s. I feel like an unwanted stepchild not having the M80's in the room. Not really but i'm just jealous.

OTOH, my setup truly rocks, was able to really open up the system last weekend and the 22's just maintained their composure. very impressive "bookshelf" speaker (bookshelf my butt)
© Axiom Message Boards