Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Griffith Strife Need Advice - 05/27/10 09:26 PM
Hey guys I am getting ready for the m80s. And wanted to know what you guys think of my current speaker placement here is a photo

http://theemcshow.com/component/content/article/84-htz

Alot of people tell me I should move the QS8's to the side walls. Should I? Thanks
Posted By: Adrian Re: Need Advice - 05/27/10 09:57 PM
What are the dimensions of the room, Griff?
Posted By: Joebob Re: Need Advice - 05/27/10 09:59 PM
Griffith:

Here are a couple of articles with good advice on speaker placement. The first is by Axiom's Alan Lofft : http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/129023.html

Here is another article that I have bookmarked as having more good advice for speaker placement : http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

These probably give better advice than I could give you. I've used the information in both to help set up my M80's and QS8's. I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: Need Advice - 05/27/10 10:00 PM
15x18 if memory serves correct
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: Need Advice - 05/27/10 10:04 PM
Jollo I will read both articles thanks. I guess my biggest Worry is that right now my QS8s sit about 3 feet above ear level. Which is apparently bad
Posted By: Adrian Re: Need Advice - 05/27/10 10:11 PM
They should be off to the sides, preferably slightly behind your seating position in a 5.1 set-up and 3-5 ft above listening height ideally. However, the design of the QS8 allows a fair bit of freedom compared with many other types of surround speakers...they are fairly forgiving as such.
Posted By: Joebob Re: Need Advice - 05/27/10 10:15 PM
3 feet is okay. The most important thing is how do they sound to you? There really isn't a right or wrong. Do you have your QS8's mounted or are they on stands?

My QS8's are on stands so I have tried them in a lot of different positions. I've settled on a position off to the sides and slightly behind where I sit as the best sounding in my room. Next week I'll probably change my mind and move them again
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Advice - 05/27/10 10:54 PM
With the QS series there really is no bad placement as long as that placement falls roughly near the recommended set up area of slightly behind the listening position and 1-2' or higher. I had my QS8s mounted about 4 ft above my ear level and they still sounded great to me. My new place allows for a more optimal placement and they simply sound that much better.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Need Advice - 05/28/10 02:18 AM
Griff, the problem isn't the mounting on the back wall or the height, which is well within the recommended limits. The separation appears to be far too narrow. The surrounds in a 5.1 setup are side surrounds, even when mounted on the back wall, and should be separated as widely as possible, maybe just a few inches from the side walls, so as to give more of a side, rather than back, effect.
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: Need Advice - 06/06/10 04:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Griff, the problem isn't the mounting on the back wall or the height, which is well within the recommended limits. The separation appears to be far too narrow. The surrounds in a 5.1 setup are side surrounds, even when mounted on the back wall, and should be separated as widely as possible, maybe just a few inches from the side walls, so as to give more of a side, rather than back, effect.

Hey John you are 100 percent on the money spreading them helped hugely. Also thanks to everyone else much appreciated, Oh before the speakers were on a stand that blocked the bottom driver. Getting them off of that helped a million times, I know stupid very stupid. My wife made me put them there she is boss
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Advice - 06/08/10 04:11 PM
Far too many of us deal with WAF all the time \:\)
Posted By: GregLee Re: Need Advice - 06/09/10 08:15 PM
And if you use front height speakers in preference to back surround speakers, should you move side surrounds further to the back? Intuition suggests a yes answer, but I haven't gotten around to experimenting.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Need Advice - 06/10/10 01:54 AM
Yeah, Greg; in that situation the side surrounds would be better placed about 2-3' farther back than directly to the side, to lend a little "phantom" back surround effect in the absence of actual back speakers.
© Axiom Message Boards