Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Griffith Strife M60 options - 06/13/10 06:47 AM
OK so here is the deal after trying to sell my M60s for the last 2 weeks. I have come to the conclusion I am stuck with them, so the question is do I use them as rears in a 7.1 system? Or do I get rid of my QS8s and use the M60s in my current 5.1 setup.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 07:20 AM
Griff, I'd understood you to say before that you were getting M80s and had already arranged the sale of your M60s. In any case, if you have a significant distance behind your listening position, which for M60s I'd suggest to be at least 6', they can certainly serve as back surrounds(definitely keep the QS8 sides). Another thought would be to use the M60s in a separate setup in another room(bedroom?).
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 09:35 AM
The M80s arrived last week just have not broken them in yet, I still have yet to put a CD or movie in. I have played some bit parts from things here and there but I have not yet listened to any thing yet. You know home alone in peace and in its entirety, hopefully Sunday will be the day.

I sold the M60s 2 days after ordering the M80s, problem is he started getting antsy. So I sold him the speakers before the M80s arrived, 2 days later he returned them. Said he needed a different finish, was not worth saving 300 bucks to not be satisfied. So I gave him 600 back and kept 50 for dropping them off to him. Not a bad deal for either, but apparently he was the only guy in town looking for M60s. Because since him I have not had any other contact I even dropped the price to 500, you would think 1 guy would call just to haggle.

BTW the M80s are beautiful I have not heard much but I love what I heard so far. Has soon as I listen to the World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings, that's the CD's title. And watch Avatar, Return Of The King, Return Of The Jedi and Dark Knight all on Blu-Ray except for Jedi. I will update or make a new post with details on what I think the differences are between them
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 06:12 PM
"Stuck" with them, like they suck? \:\) Yes they could be used as rear speakers, assuming you have enough distance between you and them. Also, there is no breakin time on speakers, so the m80's will sound great right out of the box, and the same 5 years from now.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 06:26 PM
Are the M80s THAT much better than the M60s? If they are, I'm in trouble if I get to hear them when I visit the factory in September! I'm really afraid I'd buy a pair if they really ARE that much better.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 06:51 PM
Ever suspect that this whole "30th Anniversary" thing is a marketing ploy to make us hear M80s, EP800s and the new VP180??

I'm thinking anything with an 8 in it is out of my price range.
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 07:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
"Stuck" with them, like they suck? \:\) Yes they could be used as rear speakers, assuming you have enough distance between you and them. Also, there is no breakin time on speakers, so the m80's will sound great right out of the box, and the same 5 years from now.

No they are great I just have no use for them now. I really don't have much interest in a 7.1 system, but its a shame for them to just sit in a garage. They would be 1 foot behind me and 1 foot from the wall. I had no idea speakers did not need break in time thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: sonicfox
Are the M80s THAT much better than the M60s? If they are, I'm in trouble if I get to hear them when I visit the factory in September! I'm really afraid I'd buy a pair if they really ARE that much better.

Well I don't wont to say much, because I really haven't done much with them yet. But first impression is they destroy the M60s IMHO, now before everyone lines up to beat me let explain why. Now keep in mind this is first impression only.

While watching Star Trek on Blu Ray at my normal volume level 60 out of 100. The M80s filled the room with sound while at that volume I could not tell if the M60s was working properly. Seriously it sounds crazy but to get the M60s to sound right, the volume would need to be on 68 at least.

Which is just to loud for the rest of the setup. Now I know a lot of you are thinking lower everything 8 points and enjoy. I tried it and it just made the sound feel weird, the M60s would sound like I wanted but everything else felt empty. Now keep in mind I know the difference I am hearing could all be in my head, my head is now much happier with the M80s. I don't care what anyone tells me, I am getting better sound with M80s. Simply because I don't have to crank it to hear my fronts while watching a movie.

I plan on watching Star Trek and Dark Knight tonight in there entirety, also some SACDs so I will let you know if my first impressions stand up

Now I need a center that does that too, because like everyone said now the center is to low compared to the M80s.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 08:15 PM
I owned m60's for 4 years before my m80's, there is very little difference. The m80's are a little more efficient, so they will play a little louder at the same volume level. If you have all your speakers calibrated with an spl meter to the same dB level, you would be hard pressed to tell much difference. Something just seem wrong with what your saying.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 08:23 PM
I didn't want to say anything, but now that Randy did.....I concur! \:\)
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 09:17 PM
I use a radio shack meter with the video essentials blu ray to calibrate some times Avia too. I don't always leave things even, when I was using the M60s I would put them 2 points higher than everything else. Now with the M80s I put them 2 points down. I don't think anything is wrong with what I am saying, I think we are on the same page. I just find the difference to be big, you find it subtle.

I guess what I am saying is to some people the difference between a 65 inch TV and a 60 inch in negligible. To others its night and day, you see SirQuack I think we are both seeing the same 5 inches. Its just to me its a lot to you its negligible, neither one of us is wrong its just are perspectives is different

I once had a car with 215 horse power the next year model came out with 268. Same car same everything but the horse power I saw no real difference. My father on the other hand thought it was night and day. It was he drove different than me so he noticed the power, to me the way I drive the difference was negligible

Posted By: bdpf Re: M60 options - 06/13/10 09:54 PM
I agree with SirQuack. I was at the factory in January to audition both and it took me a good 3 hours to decide which one to get. The volume level was about the same on the 2 speakers but it seemed to me that the M80s had a bit more detail. The major difference was on the bass. Anyway, if you're now completely happy with the M80s, that's what matter ;\)
As for the center, if you want something as close to the M80s as possible and if you have the space, you should consider the VP180. It's basically a M80 that lays horizontally and the drivers are rearranged. It's not on the website yet but can be pre-ordered on the phone. The first ones should start shipping this week.
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: M60 options - 06/14/10 05:46 AM
Ok after listening to many things for about 6 hours and then doing a little A/Bing. I have come to the conclusion I am not crazy the 80s play better at the volumes I listen to them at. If you don't believe me come over and hear for yourself. I also feel that at higher volumes the 80s fill the room better

I also feel I must say the M60s are great speakers, and I bet the v2 M60s would be even closer to the M80s. I also have to correct myself I thought my M60s was a little over 5 years old. Today I told my wife it feels good to upgrade after 5 years she said 8. Turns out she was right so after 8 years with M60s I cant say enough good things about them. But I am still happy about the upgrade and to ME it is a big upgrade
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M60 options - 06/14/10 05:48 AM
Hey, if you're happy, that's the only thing that matters. I'd say use the M60s as rears or expansion speakers. Not like you can't try to sell them later.
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: M60 options - 06/14/10 05:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Hey, if you're happy, that's the only thing that matters. I'd say use the M60s as rears or expansion speakers. Not like you can't try to sell them later.

My feelings exactly I think they will be rears I have no use for another system not right now at least.
Posted By: RickF Re: M60 options - 06/14/10 08:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: Griffith Strife
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

My feelings exactly I think they will be rears I have no use for another system not right now at least.

The two sets will make you a good candidate for the audition list.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60 options - 06/14/10 03:24 PM
Griffith you are not alone. I noticed a difference in detail/forwardness going from my M22's to the M60s, enough that I arranged an audition with a local owner of M80s and the differece between the M80s and M60s is noticeable, even more so when A/B'd; at least it is/was to me.
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: M60 options - 06/14/10 07:42 PM
Thank you Jake I was beginning to think I was alone.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: M60 options - 06/14/10 11:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: Griffith Strife
Thank you Jake I was beginning to think I was alone.

Griffith, I was SO hoping you were alone...because I really think I'm gonna end up spending some money soon!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M60 options - 06/15/10 12:39 AM
Mary, have you considered renting a cargo van instead of flying in September? \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: M60 options - 06/15/10 01:33 AM
Can you fit the M80s and TWO EP800s into a cargo van?
Posted By: michael_d Re: M60 options - 06/15/10 01:46 AM
Grif – I feel confident in saying the predominant “difference” you are hearing between the M60’s and M80’s is related to the newer internal components of the M80s. I not saying I don’t believe you (or Jay), and I will buy off on Jay’s description of what he finds different, but Axiom has made significant changes in the past eight years. It is not a fair comparison when you put a Ti up against the latest V2.

Also, in regards to selling your M60’s, don’t give them away just yet. I’d hold off. I can not give details (so don’t bother asking), but will say that we can expect to see some very cool things from Axiom.
Posted By: bdpf Re: M60 options - 06/15/10 02:27 AM
I think you just got everybody curious
Posted By: sonicfox Re: M60 options - 06/15/10 03:38 AM
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
Grif – I feel confident in saying the predominant “difference” you are hearing between the M60’s and M80’s is related to the newer internal components of the M80s. I not saying I don’t believe you (or Jay), and I will buy off on Jay’s description of what he finds different, but Axiom has made significant changes in the past eight years. It is not a fair comparison when you put a Ti up against the latest V2.

Gee...this makes it even worse for me. I've got M60tis!
Posted By: jakewash Re: M60 options - 06/15/10 06:27 AM
Mary, maybe Ian will have a M80's as a door prize and you could be the lucky winner. \:\)

My comparison was between 2007 M60v2's, 2007 M80v2's and my 2003 M22Ti's. Alan has remarked that the M22Ti does have a different sound than the v2's and I can attest to that with my own A/B comparison I did with a set of M22v2's and my own Ti's.

The M22v2 and M60v2 I think have more in common now than the M80v2 while my M22ti's have more in common with the M80v2 as far as mids and highs/forwardness goes. The talk of the new tweeter has me very curious as to how all these speakers sound in relation to each other.

I really wish I could make it out to Dwight in Spetember to hear them all first hand and meet all these fine people that are going, maybe if I sneek into Mel's suitcase, think he would notice? ;\)
Posted By: Griffith Strife Re: M60 options - 06/15/10 08:14 AM
Sonic the money is well spent imo going from the 60s to the 80s. But like everyone said, Michael said it could be different with v2 vs v2.

Michael I know what your talking the free VP180 for your 8 year old M60s. I just don't know if I can wait till pigs fly. In all seriousness I am just gonna hang on to them and see what all this 7.1 fuss is about.

I will tell you what made me very sad I tried ordering new grills my QS8s. The total came to over 150 for grills. If i can get new QS8s with out grills for 150 off that would be sweet
Posted By: Micah Re: M60 options - 06/16/10 07:03 AM
 Originally Posted By: michael_d

Also, in regards to selling your M60’s, don’t give them away just yet. I’d hold off. I can not give details (so don’t bother asking), but will say that we can expect to see some very cool things from Axiom...

.... oh no you didn't just leave us all hanging like that!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M60 options - 06/17/10 05:49 AM
Oh, but he did.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 options - 06/17/10 11:51 AM
I think I already mentioned what is coming on another thread a few weeks back, which would give a person options for used equipment.
© Axiom Message Boards