Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Redsands Help needed on Rear surround placement!!! - 06/17/10 09:46 PM
Hi All, I'm literally in the middle of finishing the speaker pre-wire on my theater room, drywall is being delivered tomorrow and they're starting on Monday!! I still have quite a few loose ends to tie up before they come.

Anyhow I've ran my wires to the back of my small 14'6" wide room which is 11' deep (we are doing a shorter and wider screen for various reasons).

So here is my question: We have 8' ceilings, how low down should I prewire and how far from the corners should I be?

I am planning on using QS8's in a 5.1 setup. I was thinking 24" from the sidewalls and aprox 6'6" high.

Any help asap would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks all
Those would be side surrounds and I would have them about 2' above seated ear level and slightly behind the seating position. I have my QS8s about 8-10" behind my head position when I am seated on the couch and they are about 66" off the floor.
Thanks a lot for the reply Jay. As my seating will be almost directly against the back wall would you recommend I place these on the back wall or stuff them in the corner of the room against the side wall? I was thinking on the actual back wall, but I'm not sure!
Posted By: cb919 Re: Help needed on Rear surround placement!!! - 06/17/10 10:19 PM
This Axiom link might help. If you're seating is right against the back wall I might be tempted to put them on the back wall (at the correct height as Jay said) just to make sure they are a bit behind you. However the QS8's are very forgiving on placement so anything reasonable placed should sound good with calibration.
Thanks Dan, that was great!

There are definitely some very helpful people on this board.

So my plan is to place them 2'4" above listening height - I already have braces there and I'm going to try to achieve the angle in the article as best as possible by placing them on the rear wall towards the corners.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: cb919
This Axiom link might help. If you're seating is right against the back wall I might be tempted to put them on the back wall (at the correct height as Jay said) just to make sure they are a bit behind you. However the QS8's are very forgiving on placement so anything reasonable placed should sound good with calibration.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Help needed on Rear surround placement!!! - 06/18/10 01:22 AM
John, as Jay pointed out, even if they're mounted on the back wall, they're still playing side surround material in a 5.1 setup. A rough rule-of-thumb would be 2' above and 2' behind your ears(to lend a little "phantom" back effect in the absence of actual back speakers). As side surrounds they should be separated as widely as possible, maybe 6" from the side walls, rather than the 24" you mention.
I would mount the speakers on the back wall if you must keep the couch against the wall. They would probably work best but the QS's are very forgiving and will sound great no matter which wall they end up on.

I have my couch about 18" away from the back wall and this allowed me to place the speakers on the sidewall and a little behind. If you can get that couch away from the wall a little then a side wall mount might be viable and allow for a possible 7.1 system in the future.
© Axiom Message Boards