Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SteveP Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/23/10 09:24 PM
I was just wondering, for instance on the ep500 the spec sheet says that it has line in/out and high level in/out, but I don't see any line in/outs, only high level on the pictures. Also on the ep350 the specs say it has crossover adjustment from 40-150, but the pictures only show a 80/150 switch.
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/23/10 10:34 PM
Is this just a dumb question, I mean someone has to know this.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/23/10 10:40 PM
Yes, the specs are out of date, to some degree. The EP500 does have line in and out, but they're XLR connectors (the EP350 also does). However, the line in XLR connector comes with a RCA->1/4" plug installed, which is electrically an unbalanced connection as you would need with most home theatre equipment these days. The crossover switch on the EP350 is indeed only that 80/150 switch.
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/23/10 10:57 PM
What about trim adjustment. Some of the older reviews I have read of these subs mention it. Is that no longer a feature, and if not anyone know why?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/23/10 11:01 PM
lol...yeah the older reviews are not really accurate to today. I don't think there is a trim adjustment on the EP500 anymore. However, they have added a subsonic filter.
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/23/10 11:45 PM
Ok thanks. Next question my theater is 12x10 is a ep500 to much for that size?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/23/10 11:46 PM
Ain't no such thing as too much. Um. That's the standard line, but it might get exciting in there!

I'd love to hear it.
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 12:02 AM
Ha. No I intend to get a larger theater in the future, so I guess it really doesn't matter. At the moment I have and old infinity BU-120 (with a broken amp, like most of them) but I switched the amp out with a dayton sa-240. It's descent, but I recently bought m-80's to go with my vp-150, and I figured as good as they are the subs would be fantastic. I just don't like that the ep350 just has the switch for the crossover. Otherwise I might get that instead. I keep spending more and more on my theater stuff, just don't want to get more than I need ya know.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 12:03 AM
Eh, you don't need a manual crossover on a sub. You should (and I have) just flip it to 150 and do all the crossing in your receiver.
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 12:17 AM
ok I'm learning here. Crossover on my receiver is set at 40, but I can tell a difference when I adjust the crossover on the sub, so... how do you bypass that adjustment, or is my $100 sub amp to pathetic to do that?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 12:38 AM
generally speaking, you should turn the crossover on your sub up all the way and then handle bass management with your receiver.

What crossover do you have set at 40 in your receiver? what speakers do you have?

If 40 is the crossover for an entire surround system it may be too low for the center and surrounds.
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 12:47 AM
no no, crossover for the sub is set at 40. I have a harmon kardon avr-247 for a receiver, m-80s for l/r vp-150 for center. Auto eq set crossover for the sub at 40. I'm not home at the moment, but I swear I can tell a difference when I play with the crossover on the sub, tho as I said before that could just be because it sucks. It just sounds to boomy with the sub crossover set at 150. I'm thankful for the help, I know I'm asking really basic newb questions, but It's so much easier to ask people that know instead of looking it all up, and thus far you axiom forum guys have been really helpful.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 01:22 AM
Steve, if you get the EP350, the sub low-pass filter(it's not a full crossover; it just rolls off the sub above the selected frequency)should be set at 150 to get it as far as possible out of the way of the full crossover(e.g., at 80Hz)that the receiver is doing. The speakers will then be rolled off under 80Hz and the sub will be rolled off above 80Hz(getting the under 80Hz sound from the speakers set "Small").
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 01:35 AM
Thank you.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 01:36 AM
When you get a chance tell us what speakers you have and what the crossover setting is in your AVR for all speakers.
Posted By: SteveP Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 01:57 AM
will do.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Are the sub amp pictures accurate? - 06/24/10 06:44 AM
If the sub crossover is set at 40 then the M80s are also set for a 40 hz crossover. I would recommend turning these 2 settings up to 60hz once the EP350/500 arrives (even now just to see if some of the boominess disappears) and let it do the hard work to free up the receiver/M80s a little. I can't remember if the H/K has a double bass or LFE+main setting if so this feature might be turned on which can also bring about boomy bass.
© Axiom Message Boards