Axiom Home Page
Posted By: elsewhere Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 05:14 PM
Hey guys,

I am curious if anyone knows why Axiom resells Sherwood as opposed to say Marantz or Anthem or some other receiver? I don't know much about Sherwood and would like to get more detail if anyone has anything to say.

Thanks!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 05:22 PM
IMO there are better alternatives than what Axiom sells for receivers such as offerings from Denon and Onkyo. I would even consider Yamaha and Pioneer offerings over them.
Posted By: Jc Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: elsewhere
Hey guys,

I am curious if anyone knows why Axiom resells Sherwood . . .

Hi,

Axiom decided a few years back to offer Newcastle by Sherwood for mainly four good reasons:
- The Newcastle products could power the Axiom M80 flagship model with ease.
- The built quality was above average.
- The sound quality was superior.
- The warranty was a 3 year period.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 07:53 PM
i think anthem would be to expensive of a product for most of axioms customer base.

from what i have seen around here, most people have Denon, Onkyo, and a few other major manufactures. I personally think that Denon would have been a much better brand for them to offer, but that it just me.

another part I'm sure is how much product they would have been required to stock, in-order to be a re-seller? it wouldn't make much since for them to have to stock 50-100k$ in product, as they probably wouldn't sell that much.
Posted By: CV Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 08:06 PM
I have nothing against Sherwood Newcastle... or Denon, or Onkyo, but I'm not sure I see why it's necessary for Axiom to offer anything here that they don't make themselves. It must make some kind of sense or they'd discontinue offering them, but I have trouble seeing how it's worthwhile, at least as it's done right now.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 08:16 PM
CV i think its for the people that want to do one stop shopping

"hey i want a stereo and i want everything that makes it work, mmmk?"

those kinds of people.
Posted By: CV Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 08:21 PM
Yeah, I'm just not sure how big of a slice of Axiom's consumer base that represents. Axioms are a good value, but they're not cheap, so you'd think most people buying them would be into the hobby enough to chase down the other parts of their system with vigor. I realize there are people with money to blow out there who are going to avoid whatever hassles they can, but yeah, I'm just wondering if it's really enough to make it worthwhile. Must be.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 08:30 PM
I think Dakkon is right. Plus why shouldn't Axiom have additional cash streams.
Posted By: DreamTheater Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 08:31 PM
I feel Marantz is a great pair with the Axiom M60s and below (considering the budget people who spend ~1000 on stereo pair would most likely have). In reality there is alot of good "mid-ranged" receiers out there that could pair well with the Axioms I believe. I have never heard a Sherwood personally, but I was also curious why they were resold here.
Posted By: Jc Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 08:47 PM
Hi,

There are several good a/v receiver brands which Axiom could be an authorized online dealer for. However, to be one and to remain one you need to respect their strict guide line for pricing. As you all know, most brands can be bought at prices way below the ones of the guide line. People buy online to save dollars, searching for the best deals and lowest prices. The reality is that people will buy it elsewhere if it can be bought at a cheaper price. It was often the case with Newcastle products which are not as widely available as the more popular brands.
Posted By: fredk Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 09:13 PM
I'm willing to bet that this offering is more a service to one-stop customers than an additional revenue stream. Receivers are by and large a commodity. That environment favours vendors with more efficeint business models and higher volumes.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 10:07 PM
I agree FredK. Its more of a service convenience to your customers than anything else. That's why you don't necessarily look at it entirely on competitive pricing but rather overall quality and just as important brand recognition to tie your product with. Its not about volume. Denon comes to mind as delivering in all areas when it comes to build quality, aesthetics (neutral black for matching components), up to date current features and market penetration/brand recognition.
Posted By: CV Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 10:57 PM
Denon's mid-range stuff seems pretty reasonable, but I really dislike the inflated pricing of their higher-end offerings. I want them to offer a more realistically-priced preamp-processor that isn't already outdated.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Jc
Originally Posted By: elsewhere
Hey guys,

I am curious if anyone knows why Axiom resells Sherwood . . .

Hi,

Axiom decided a few years back to offer Newcastle by Sherwood for mainly four good reasons:
- The Newcastle products could power the Axiom M80 flagship model with ease.
- The built quality was above average.
- The sound quality was superior.
- The warranty was a 3 year period.

JC:

I would agree with your reasons in why Axiom took on the line IF Sherwood Newcastle had something to sell! Regardless of the merits of the company, they have always been notoriously late with product introductions and the R972 AVR with the Trinnov Room Correction system is no exception. It was originally introduced at the CES show in the winter of 2008(albeit originally with a version of Audyssey) and it is still having some issues and from what I can see is still not ready yet for prime time. The product offerings in the Sherwood Newcastle line(what there is of it)are essentially "legacy" products.

There is something to be said for Outlaw, who several months ago, decided to cancel the "never released" 997 Pre-Pro since the platform on which it was based (the 972) was having too many delays and they couldn't introduce the 997 until at least 60 days after the release of the S/N AVR! Outlaw has decided to go it alone on this one.

In my view, until S/N can start introducing "current" products with competitive pricing, I suggest Axiom look for alternatives. There is just too much out there for Axiom customers to buy to power Axiom speakers.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/11/10 11:20 PM
The mid-range models with current feature sets and with pre-outs is exactly the segment you want. Denon is very good at keeping these mid-range models consistently up to date. I am not talking about becoming an authorized dealer for their entire product line (thats just silly) but rather an authorized dealer to be able sell 2-3 different models. They have much better brand recognition than SN as well. Its just an alternative perspective.
Posted By: Jc Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/12/10 01:07 AM
Fred,
You are absolutely right, this is a customer service affair only; not a revenue one. Axiom needs to find a auitable A/V receiver brand having this perspective in mind. It can be quite a challenge !
Posted By: JohnK Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/12/10 01:42 AM
The "sound quality was superior" point can't be taken seriously, and the others mentioned would appear to also apply to several other manufacturers. Hopefully this is an area which will see changes in the near future.
Posted By: Micah Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/12/10 01:26 PM
John, I was waiting for you to jump all over that one. Wasn't sure if he meant the sound processing when he said that. If that's the case, I don't see where it has anything different/superior to the other brands out there.

But if he meant the sound of the amp itself... Well I'm pretty sure most of us are on the same page around here that one solid state amp doesn't sound inherantly better than the next solid state amp.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/12/10 01:39 PM
Sound quality isn't the issue. The biggest problem is that these Sherwood Newcastle products, the feature sets are outdated. I did find one intriguing specification, what is Dolby Headphone Layers 1,2,3?
Posted By: Jc Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/12/10 08:11 PM
Hi JohnK, Micah

You have to keep in mind and in perspective that these were the reasons why Newcastle was selected then. It has been several years already. A few years in the electronic universe is an eternity. Products, brands and needs change rapidly; today the decision would certainly be different and it might well be different once more in a few months.

At the time, Axiom judged that it was the best option available; today ? tomorrow ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Why Sherwood? - 07/12/10 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Jc
...and it might well be different once more in a few months.

There's that gosh darn carrot again.
© Axiom Message Boards