Axiom Home Page
Posted By: franknbeans Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 07:38 PM
I am setting up my HT and I am using the M22 on wall for l/r and a VP150 on wall for the center. All of these speakers plus my 60" Sony LCD are being mounted above my fireplace. I am currently resurfacing my fireplace with stone and I plan on placing the rock around the speakers and TV for a custom built in look. Due to clearance issues above my fireplace I have to put my mantel 36" above the hearth, 4" above that goes the VP150, 4" above that goes the Sony which is 36" tall. The Sony would be 6-9 feet off the floor (Bottom edge and top edge). In this setup the center channel is closest to optimal listening height (centered to the listeners ears) but puts the TV up high. If I put the TV over the mantel and the center channel above the TV, The TV is in a good viewing angle/height but the VP 150 is 8 feet off the floor. I can angle the VP150 down towards the listener using the full metal brackets but I am concerned it's placement would be too high. Which would be better? TV lower or VP150 lower? Your comments are appreciated!

(I am leaning towards placing the VP150 on top of the TV.)

Mike
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 09:24 PM
Personally I would keep the TV at the best viewing angle and mount the VP150 above with it angled slightly down.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 09:25 PM
I would definitely keep the TV lower. You can angle the VP150 down toward the listening position. You probably already know this, but putting the TV above a fireplace is not a great idea (unless you don't make fires).
Posted By: franknbeans Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 10:28 PM
Thanks guys. I just did a mock up with the TV lower and it looks great. I ordered a pair of the Full Metal Brackets and I should be able to angle the VP150 down towards the listeners. It just looks funny being 8 feet off the floor.
I am aware of the problems having a TV over a fireplace. I am installing a gas fireplace insert with a mantel above it. The mantel will deflect a lot of the heat and I will be able to control the temp the fireplace puts out with the supplied thermostat. So if it gets to hot, I can turn the temp down or off.

I'll post some pics when I'm done installing the rock. 7 feet wide and 15 feet tall, should be fun!

Thanks again
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 10:56 PM
Originally Posted By: franknbeans
I am currently resurfacing my fireplace with stone and I plan on placing the rock around the speakers and TV for a custom built in look.
Mike

Unless you just like home projects, rock work, etc.... hope you never need another TV or change speakers or speaker locations! (I've been down that path, but with framing, drywall, and trims.) Just thinkin out loud.....
Posted By: franknbeans Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:18 PM
New question,
I am going to mount the W150 (VP 150 wall mount version) above my TV with a pair of Full Metal Brackets so I can tilt it down. Step 2 on the FMB mounting instructions states: Attach the speaker mount to the speaker by using the mounting bolt already installed to your loud speaker. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN

The W 150 doesn't have a "mounting bolt already installed". I assume the FMB are used with the QS8's and other surround models with the bolt installed, but how do I attach them to the W150. There are three holes on the FMB that I could put wood screws through to attach the W150 but how deep into the back of the W150 can I penetrate into without hitting something critical?

Mike
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:22 PM
The W150 is designed to be put in a wall; I don't think there is any provision for FMBs with the W150. The VP150 does have mounting holes for the FMB.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:23 PM
The W150? (I think it's now called on-wall VP150) comes with it's own mounting bracket(s).

link. Then click on photos.

Or is it this one instead. The on/in-wall version.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:27 PM
Nope, this is the W150

Axiom makes quite a few variations of the VP150 at this point.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:29 PM
If it's the one that kcarlile says, then you have to make a hole in the wall. An included bracket goes in the hole and you slide the speaker in to this bracket. I'm currently using the w100 version of this and I had to remove a stud to make it work properly.

Also, to make a long story short, I'm going to exchange out my W100 with the original style VP150, because I'm not satisfied with the W100 sound. You can't angle down the W150, but you can the VP150. The VP150 has a single central spot that takes a small bolt from the FMB.

It's funny that I was told to do this in the beginning, but not for the sound quality. But because it would be easier to install. Had I known at the time, there was a big (I think) sound quality difference, I would have gone this route in the beginning.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:30 PM
Shoot, yeah, we all missed that little bit in your first post about it being an on-wall. Makes it hard to angle.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:44 PM
Can you build out an angled section of drywall, make it look stylish (extend it across the whole wall or something) and then use that to mount the in-wall 150 ? You probably need some extra mounting thingy to stop it sliding out/down of the frame though...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/09/10 11:52 PM
I would not jerry rig it. It probably would fall out of the hole unless you used some straps to keep in in place that were securely fastened to the wall. I take it you have already purchased the W150 and it was more than 30 days ago?
Posted By: CWS Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 12:39 AM
Advice needed! while waiting for my VP150 to arrive, would like any advice on center channel setup. Currently using a JBL center (10 years or more) and originally intended to get VP180 but due to the cost & the size , have to settle for a VP150. My question is I've tried using 2 center, 1 above my TV and the other on the floor using my Emotiva UPA-1 which has 2 outputs for bi-wiring to run both center . and as long as the speakers are 6 or 8 ohms it won't hurt my amp. I actually find the sound improved doing this, or is it just my imagination?
Posted By: franknbeans Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 05:29 PM
Thanks for the help and ideas. I have the W150 (not the regular VP 150 and not the in wall/ on wall on one). It's the one that mounts on the wall with out cutting out a hole. It comes with two "T" brackets. This one http://axiomaudio.com/vp150-onwall-center-channel.html
I bought it less than 30 days ago, in fact I'm getting a replacement one on the 12 Aug from Noreen (original one was slightly damaged during shipping). I have to mount this W150 above my TV (see the beginning of this thread). I want to angle it down towards the listeners by using the FMB. Can I drill 3 holes in the back of the W150 for each FMB, then put some short wood screws in? Does the regular VP150 have the mounting bolt already installed? What about the VP180? Can that beast be wall mounted?? I could exchange the W150 for the VP 150 or VP180 if they can be wall mounted.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 05:42 PM
The VP150 (original) has a single threaded connection in the back center.

click

Then click on Photos, then click on VP150 - Back.

The VP180 is not wall mountable.

You will have to build a custom mount for the on-wall that you have, if you want to angle it down.
Posted By: franknbeans Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 09:48 PM
CatBrat,
I see the threaded connection on the back view picture of the VP 150. Are you saying you can mount the VP 150 with only one FMB? You would think they would put two threaded connectors to spread the load. Should I return my W150 for the VP 150 or just mount the two FMB's with some wood screws to the back of my W150. I just don't know how thick the cabinets are on these speakers. I guess I would find out how thick they are after I carefully drilled the pilot holes.

Mike
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 09:50 PM
If you contact Axiom directly, you could ask them about the feasibility of drilling into the OW VP150. You can mount the VP150 with one FMB; that's what the owner of the company does/did with his.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 10:30 PM
Since these are made of pressed wood product and are not wood, I would not want to mount them in that fashion.
Posted By: franknbeans Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 10:32 PM
Cool, I think I'll send my W150 back for the VP150. I just ordered 4 QS8's and an EP500 last night and wanted my front 3 set up but I could wait and get the VP150.

Mike
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 10:34 PM
I think you've made the better choice. VP150 will be much more versatile and IMO will probably sound a lot better. ie. bigger box.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 10:40 PM
CatBrat, just so you know, the when original FMBs came out, there were no mounting sockets in the speakers. Those were added later. So Axiom did at one point support using woodscrews into the backs of the speakers. Of course, they didn't have the thin on walls back then.
Posted By: franknbeans Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/10/10 11:28 PM
I just mounted my 60" Sony where I want it and noticed the mount allows it to tilt forward a few inches. This makes the top of the TV protrude out a little (about 4"). So the extra thickness of the VP150 will not be noticed and should line up with the top of the tilted TV. If the TV was mounted flat against the wall the VP 150 would hang over too much I think. And I agree with the sound improving a little with the bigger cabinet than the wall mount W150.

Thanks again for your input. Now I must wait until my 4 x QS8's and EP500 arrive!

Mike
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/11/10 02:19 AM
My M22s are old enough that they didn't include a threaded mounting hole. I screwed right into the back of the speaker with the heftiest threaded screws I could find that would still fit through the bracket. They are rock solid.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: Center channel placement question? - 08/11/10 03:47 AM
not to highjack this thread... but in relation to the what the OP wants to do... I have a question to those who might have done it.

Like the OP... I am in a situation where Im going to have to mount my version 1 VP150 above my tv on the wall. Of course where I want it to go there is no stud... my question is.. with proper anchors into the wall (1/2 inch gyprock) will the gyprock have enough strength to hold the speaker (22lbs) out at the angle and distance the Axiom wall bracket is made for? Without using a stud, and without using a piece of wood or metal to attach the bracket on then attach to the wall, I want to use just the bracket on the wall but am seeking advise on how to anchor it WITHOUT the weight of the speaker, angle of speaker and distance the speaker is out from the wall causing it rip out??? There are those BIG plastic/metal scews that are about 1/2 inch thick that you put in the wall, then the screw on the bracket will screw into that plastic/metal screw. You konw, the type that is used to hang heavy pictures. Also, since there are not screws on the back of the speaker, Im going to have to drill out some holes and mount the bracket/brackets manually. Any fear of hitting anything important inside??? Anyone try this?
© Axiom Message Boards