Axiom Home Page
Need a way to really test the high end of your fancy pants speakers, not to mention your hearing?

Try playing these " Mosquito" tones.

I can clearly hear the 14Khz tone but not the 15Khz. I'm guessing my computer speakers just can't reach 15Khz. It'll be fun to try this on my M22's later today....
With my $5 Walmart earphones on my laptop, I can hear 17khz, and very barely 18khz. I don't want to reveal my age, but I'm somewhere between 46 and 48.
More like a torture test for one's ears... At 45, I can hear the 15kHz. I can tell there's an annoying something at 16 kHz, but cant really "hear" it.

A 27 year old co-worker winced at the 18kHz tone and looked at me oddly whaen I said I couldn't hear it.

Scott
Originally Posted By: Adrian
With my $5 Walmart earphones on my laptop, I can hear 17khz, and very barely 18khz. I don't want to reveal my age, but I'm somewhere between 46 and 48.

Oh ohh. Perhaps it's not my cheap speakers. I'll have to find a youngster to try this out on.
I can hear the 15hz with my cheap computer speakers turned up all the way, but not the 16-18hz.

I guess this is like saying the Super Tweeters would be wasted on me, huh? But I'm pushing 60, so I guess 15hz isn't all that bad.
I heard to the 15kHz, but not beyond.

This didn't make sense to me:
Quote:
It can be used so that people of all ages will hear it. When it is set to 17KHz to the Mosquito will disperse these groups. When set to 8 KHz the Mosquito can only be heard by teenagers approximately 13 to 25 years of age.

Seems to me as though those two frequency listings were reversed....
I can only hear 14khz through my laptop.
Or maybe instead of 8 kHz they meant 18 ?
Originally Posted By: Adrian
I don't want to reveal my age, but I'm somewhere between 46 and 48.

Ohhhh, that's why it's not 42 for you. Duh.
Maybe... but they should fact-check their own website!
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Maybe... but they should fact-check their own website!
Agreed.
I can hear the 18k just fine.
I hear all of 'em with a pair of cheapo PC speakers and a set of 53 year old ears.
Went back and tried the 18khz again, this time with the volume turned up and pressing the earphone to my ear. No prob. Can't be outdone by no 53 yr old ears, no sir! wink
laugh laugh
Yup, using headphones I can hear all of them just fine. I guess I need to add the Audiobytes to my Christmas list.
Very interesting. I can hear all the tones, but 16 kHz sounds (to me) like a significantly lower volume than the others. When I got to that one I thought "Uh oh, my hearing has gone down the toilet", but then I could hear 17 and 18 just fine.

Age 44, listening on Beyerdynamic HD-990 headphones.
I think my computer speakers suck. It couldn't possibly be my ears!
I was able to hear them all on some cheap Logitech headphones. I am closer to 40 than 30...
I just went to another web site with even more tones and I could hear 22khz too. 18 and younger it says! Yeah, my ears are just kids! Too bad the rest of me wasn't 18...
Me too!

Noise Addicts.

If someone finds a higher freq test, please post.
I'm at home and now I can hear the 17k file, whereas at work, the highest I could hear was the 15k file. So, it's what my speakers can reproduce and not what I can hear. I don't have a good method yet of connecting my computer to my avr.
The limiting factor(within reason) is the speaker...my cheap earphones go WAY beyond my laptop speaker. I'll bet I could do 26khz+ if I can find an online test that goes that high. 22khz was easy on the e-phones.
Adrian, you have girly-ears.
"ah ah see you gums flappin' bwaaaah, but ah don't hee-ahh anythin!!"
I hear the 22k on that second page, but it doesn't sound like 22k. It sounds like a low-pass filter, and aliasing artifacts. My sound card supports up to 96k (yeah, it's old, but studio quality), so that shouldn't be the limit. It's probably the MP3 encoding.
Adrian, even if you had the "girly-ears" as Mark suggested, there's no way that an actual 22KHz would be "easy" except at an extremely high sound level, considering that hearing is less sensitive at high as well as low frequencies. Possibly Chris's comment should be considered.
© Axiom Message Boards