Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sdbadd Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 03:34 AM
I received my axiom speakers today and will be installing them this weekend. According to the manual for the QS8, the T mount needs to be installed on a stud. For where I am mounting the speakers the studs are not the same distance from the back wall and therefore they would be mounted staggered. Can I mount using drywall anchors instead?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 03:42 AM
I mounted my QS 8's into studs even though it placed one about a foot further from the center seat than the other. I have adressed this in my avr by bumping the further speaker an extra db or so and keying in the correct distance. That being said, I think others have used various wall anchors with success.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 03:44 AM
You should be OK if you use several anchors per T-mount, it's really the sheer strength you're looking for, not so much the "pull" strength on the screws. If you don't mind doing a little extra work(for safety) you could remove a small section of drywall and shore up the wall with a crossmember where necessary.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 04:22 AM
Drywall anchors will work, especially if you use one for every hole on the bracket. Which is overkill. But overkill with non-stud mounted hardware is what you want.

For non-maximum but still effective overkill, I'd put toggle bolts in the left, middle, and right horizontal holes, then e-z anchors in the rest.
Posted By: RickF Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 08:47 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Drywall anchors will work, especially if you use one for every hole on the bracket. Which is overkill. But overkill with non-stud mounted hardware is what you want.

For non-maximum but still effective overkill, I'd put toggle bolts in the left, middle, and right horizontal holes, then e-z anchors in the rest.

Ditto.

Although I've never used toggle bolts I used the appropriate sized E-Z anchors for every mounting hole in the 'T' bracket with rock solid results. Our four QS8s have been hanging on the walls for five years and every one of the brackets are mounted with only the E-Z anchors.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 03:04 PM
I've come to trust E-Z anchors, as well, and use them all over the place. The only reason I recommended toggle bolts was that they'll give the extra bit of peace of mind to those who don't yet trust E-Z anchors.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 03:50 PM
Originally Posted By: RickF

Ditto.

Although I've never used toggle bolts I used the appropriate sized E-Z anchors for every mounting hole in the 'T' bracket with rock solid results. Our four QS8s have been hanging on the walls for five years and every one of the brackets are mounted with only the E-Z anchors.

Ditto
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 03:57 PM
Ditto. Both of my QS8s are hung using drywall anchors. In fact, one wall of my HT is thin beadboard on studs over concrete - meaning the wall is about 1.4 inch thick.

I used drywall anchors and a product similar to a toggle bolt to hold the T-Bar to the wall. It's rock solid, nonetheless.

The QS8, while heavy, is well supported on the bracket, so long as the bracket has enough connection points to spread the sheering force over a large enough portion of the wall.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 07:42 PM
When you buy drywall anchors the boxes have weight ratings on them now, the medium ones(#8 screws?) are rated for ~30lbs per anchor, you should be fine.

I recently watched a show where they tested the holding power of all the various types of products available to mount pictures etc. to drywall and the ratings were quite accurate. IIRC toggle bolts held 100lbs before breaking out of the drywall.
Posted By: Jc Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 07:49 PM

Hi,
I concur, the appropriate dry wall fastener model in each "T" bracket hole is an excellent and secure mounting option which has been proven reliable and trustworthy time and time again.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 08:23 PM
I used 4 Drywall plugs per QS8, Top, bottom, left and right.

They haven't fallen down... yet wink

snazzed
Posted By: Dundas Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/05/10 10:39 PM
#6 E-Z Anchors are rated for up to 50lbs. each in 1/2" drywall.
The speakers are < 14lbs
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/06/10 12:38 AM
I love my HT as well.... but really, a thread about mounting one's QS8s is just a bit sick......
Posted By: Adrian Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/06/10 01:54 AM
...especially since they're not ported.... shocked
Posted By: JohnK Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/06/10 02:02 AM
Mark, the spirit of BigJohn lives!
Posted By: sdbadd Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/06/10 02:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I figured anchors were good enough, but I just wanted to make sure others have done the same with success. Do you really need 7 screws per bracket. I figure 4 per bracket should be fine?
Posted By: sdbadd Re: Mounting QS8 - 10/06/10 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: snazzed
I used 4 Drywall plugs per QS8, Top, bottom, left and right.

They haven't fallen down... yet wink

snazzed

Just noticed you only used 4 with success - sounds good to me.
© Axiom Message Boards