Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 02:00 AM
Rented Alice in Wonderland in HD today. My PS 3 decided it doesn't want me to see what I paid for.

I fucking hate copy protection!!!
Posted By: casey01 Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Rented Alice in Wonderland in HD today. My PS 3 decided it doesn't want me to see what I paid for.

I read somewhere back awhile ago that the companies were doing this purposeful periodic adjustment to the HDCP on BR movies which no doubt caused the problem you are encountering on the PS3. That is why I prefer Oppo`s players since they, unlike the mainstream companies, continue to provide regular technical support and firmware updates to help alleviate problems like this.
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 03:14 AM
Oh I'm sure there's a software update. They just don't have the balls to say that my drm shit is out of date.

The first time this happened last week I didn't even get the cryptic 'your software might not work with this disk' message.

Its just a stupid pain in the ass that probably drives a lot of people to completely bypass the drm.
Posted By: a401classic Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 03:28 AM
Oddly enough, we just had a problem with a BR movie tonight... brand new disc, not a scratch, but several glitches and it finally froze about 8-9 minutes into it. I wonder if I need a software update??
Posted By: grunt Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 04:49 AM
Originally Posted By: casey01

I read somewhere back awhile ago that the companies were doing this purposeful periodic adjustment to the HDCP on BR movies which no doubt caused the problem you are encountering on the PS3. That is why I prefer Oppo`s players since they, unlike the mainstream companies, continue to provide regular technical support and firmware updates to help alleviate problems like this.

I agree. Since getting my BDP83 a year ago I’ve had one BD that didn’t want to load and play. Updated the firmware and problem solved.
Posted By: LRA Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 12:15 PM
i use ps3 for BR playback and I confirm that this movie works great.. whatever the player, you need to update it.

I will be getting the new oppo bdp-93, it looks great
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 02:56 PM
Isn't it possible that the particular player simply doesn't like some particular minute scratches?
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 05:31 PM
No Mark. The player downgreded the resolution on my display.

My anger comes from two things. First that I have to piddle around with updates to watch something I paid to watch. Second, that the messaging aroudn the downgrade is anything but clear.

Some feature of this disk migh not work??? If you are going to handcuff the user, at least have the balls tell them why. "Your copy protection is out of date and your image is going to be downscaled.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 06:54 PM
Well, then...it absolutely sounds like you SHOULD be mad! smile
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 07:37 PM
laugh
Then stop making me laugh dammit!
Posted By: jakewash Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 09:03 PM
All this DRM stuff has only affected those that are not tech savvy or set up enough to bypass it. The regular paying public are the only ones that seem to be affected by it, music or video.
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 11:19 PM
Don't tell my boss I'm a technotard. He might not let me do stuff to the network anymore...
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 11:38 PM
Let me put this another way. Suppose on Tuesday when you get in your car to go to work you put the key in the ignition and and your in dash display puts up a message stating that this key may not work with some of the features in the vehicle today and some of the stuff in your car was disabled. Would you be annoyed?
Posted By: RickF Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/10/10 11:40 PM
From what I've heard on a very interesting NPR program not too long ago regarding the future of automobiles that isn't far from reality Fred.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/11/10 12:13 AM
F*#@**! Ford!
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/11/10 03:44 AM
Thats not good news Rick. Consumer stuff is just supposed to work. The best stuff always did.
Posted By: jakewash Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/13/10 12:31 AM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
All this DRM stuff has only affected those that are not tech savvy or set up enough to bypass it. The regular paying public are the only ones that seem to be affected by it, music or video.
Don't tell my boss I'm a technotard. He might not let me do stuff to the network anymore...
I wasn't implying this to mean you Fred, just how DRM in general has caused nothing but trouble for the average Joe and done nothing to prevent piracy.
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/13/10 05:49 PM
grin I should have put a smily after that statement. You gave me a good chuckle.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/13/10 06:22 PM
Jay made me feel stupid, so why didn't you feel the same, old man smile ?
Posted By: fredk Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/13/10 06:26 PM
I'm just to stupid to feel stupid?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: F*#@**! HDCP - 10/13/10 06:35 PM
You said it........... smile
© Axiom Message Boards