Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Toys, toys, toys... - 10/13/10 10:49 PM
So I happened to raise the possibility of getting some new ht equipment at some point in the future (read, the next year), and, being as she was in a good mood this morning, she acknowledged that this might be possible. Of course, that raises the question of what. No, it's not a new tv, but I was thinking receiver or a new DVR.

So, being as I will still be on SD for a time, is it worth getting a new receiver now, or are the feature sets still in incredible flux, like over the last 5 years? I don't want to buy a receiver is year with hdmi 1.4 and then have a tv with hdmi 2.1 in the next 2 years...
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/13/10 11:25 PM
Do they update HDMI for satellite receivers via firmware, like they do HT receivers?
Posted By: prototype3a Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 01:03 AM
I know that Verizon occasionally updates the firmware on their FIOS boxes. IIRC, Verizon has 4 different set-top boxes.

SD box
HD box
HD+DVR box
HD+DVR+media server box
Posted By: JohnK Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 01:52 AM
Ken, audio equipment is such a fluxable(my new word)target that flux will continue there for all eternity. I wouldn't be concerned about the HDMI specs, since the current status(or not bothering with HDMI at all)will continue to be of use. The feature change that was primarily responsible for me adding another receiver some time ago was Audyssey MultEQ, so I'd say that you should consider(getting Jen)a Denon or Onkyo unit for that and the other feature additions which have taken place over the last few years.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 02:29 AM
Any recommendations on DVRs? Don't really want to deal with an Htpc, but the reviews I've seen on the new tivos aren't the best.

I'm pretty much in agreement on the receiver, John. I want one with night mode/dynamic volume.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 02:53 AM
John, in an ongoing effort to expand my knowledge, I've learnt a lot from the orthography in your posts, but fluxable isn't grammatically correct (unless you just made it up smile ).

Never thought I'd catch you, my friend smile .

Just thought, you'll probably prove me wrong and I'll look like a fool eek .
Posted By: JohnK Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 03:39 AM
Cam, as I pointed out, "fluxable" was "my new word". Please add it to your everyday vocabulary, as it undoubtedly will soon be appearing in the dictionaries.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 07:42 AM
It's catching on fast. 1800 hits on Google already wink
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 11:34 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Cam, as I pointed out, "fluxable" was "my new word". Please add it to your everyday vocabulary, as it undoubtedly will soon be appearing in the dictionaries.

HEHE. I will most definitely add it to my vocabulary!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 12:23 PM
HA!

No one ever added "qualitious" (exuding quality) or replaced butterfly with flutterbuy from MY personal dictionary in my head....
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 04:32 PM
I think that you should write your own lexicon, Mark. It would be priceless smile !
Posted By: CV Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 04:32 PM
He's working on a favicon.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 04:36 PM
laugh
Posted By: majik Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 04:43 PM
did the denon 3808 receiver get an update for hdmi?? did I miss that memo?
Posted By: fredk Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 05:34 PM
Mark has flutterby posting down to an art.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 06:50 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
He's working on a favicon.

I never got it to work. I'm confident it was uploaded to the correct folder, too. Oh well.... I've read that they're quirky, and maybe my site needs to be "live" first or something. Hopefully later today or tomorrow.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 07:46 PM
Mark, did you edit your website's default page to specify the favicon file?

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/14/10 10:23 PM
"how to favicon"?!?!

Disturbing.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Toys, toys, toys... - 10/16/10 07:24 AM
Originally Posted By: majik
did the denon 3808 receiver get an update for hdmi?? did I miss that memo?
Not sure what you are asking about or why, but you can check here
© Axiom Message Boards