Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 04:54 AM
Now that Halloween is almost here, what scary movies are you thinking of watching? I'm going to give the original The Evil Dead another try now that I have the Blu-ray. I couldn't get into it the only other time I tried it, but maybe this time. Cloverfield, Drag Me to Hell, and Frailty are possibilities. I also picked up this title on a whim after reading about some of the crazy stuff in it:

Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl (Amazon.com)

Seriously, read the customer reviews that are there and tell me you wouldn't watch it.

I don't usually go for movies that actually scare me. What about you? Are you going to watch something that might actually give you nightmares, or are you going to go for something lighter? Or will you choose based on what will sound best on your system? The Hellboy movies could work. Any superhero movie could work for Halloween, too.
Posted By: grunt Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 07:57 AM
I’ve never met a “scary movie.” They always just seem to contrived. The only thing I ever watched that scared me was an old episode of “The Outer Limits” that I vaguely remember having vampire like creatures on a spaceship. Had nightmares about that one for a long time. Everything else since, that was suppose to be “scary” just seems silly.
Posted By: CV Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 08:50 AM
I wish I could say that, but I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to movies. Kind of sad, but I'm more visibly emotional when watching movies than when reacting to real life.

So you haven't tried looking up that episode and re-watching it? Maybe that should be your Halloween. smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 11:55 AM
So far, it's only the SAW moves that I find a little hard to watch.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 12:31 PM
The only movie that ever scared me was "The Excercist". It still hits a nerve with me even today. It really is a remarkable piece of film making.

I never was much of a fan of slasher or zombie movies, at least they never scared me, I like psylogical thrillers much better. Silence of the Lambs is a good one.

A good SiFi monster type movie is always fun to watch too, like AVP or even Jurasic Park.

The Grudge or The ring had some interesting moments also.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 01:34 PM
When I was about 8, and I saw Forbidden Planet on late night TV one weekend, the invisible monster in it really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I bought a copy of this a few years ago and watch it occasionally, but it's just not the same anymore.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 03:35 PM
The Wizard of OZ, those darn flying monkeys get me every time. wink
Posted By: DreamTheater Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 04:23 PM
Unfortunately movies don't scare me anymore, miss that feeling as a kid watching Aliens...terrified. Alien abudctions used to scare the hell out of me as a kid, but when I watched 4th kind last year I couldnt help but dissapointed. The most new age movies do is gross me out, "Drag me to Hell" is a perfect example, disgusting old lady!
Posted By: speedbump Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Now that Halloween is almost here, what scary movies are you thinking of watching? I'm going to give the original The Evil Dead another try now that I have the Blu-ray. I couldn't get into it the only other time I tried it, but maybe this time. Cloverfield, Drag Me to Hell, and Frailty are possibilities.

I was really disappointed in Cloverfield. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 06:04 PM
I liked Cloverfield, but I'm a sucker for found footage flicks. But our votes cancel that movie out.

I recommend [•REC], the original film that Quarantine was based on.
Posted By: CV Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 06:30 PM
Originally Posted By: speedbump
I was really disappointed in Cloverfield. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I was indifferent to the movie itself, but it's nice for feeling the power of my system.
Posted By: CV Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: DreamTheater
The most new age movies do is gross me out, "Drag me to Hell" is a perfect example, disgusting old lady!

You're right about the grossing out. I'm fine if that's all the movie does, though. That's all I'm expecting from Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl. That, and WTF.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 06:44 PM
I find any Steven Segal movie scary...esp for whoever bankrolled his movies grin

Ok, seriously...there's a huge difference as to what one considers "scary" since most "scary" movies are just gross-out movies like the Fri 13th, Elm Str, and the Saw movie franchises which imho are all pathetic attempts. To me, I have to agree with Paul's assessment of the Exorcist as this movie delves much deeper and makes one reflect on what they believe and what is possible or beyond our understanding of what we know, which to me is, well, scary. Another movie I found to make me feel like that, somewhat, was "Carrie".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 06:54 PM
I found "Signs" creepy, but that just might be because I don't watch a whole lot of movies like that so there wasn't much to compare it to...
Posted By: bdpf Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 07:12 PM
+1 for the Exorcist, still scares me today.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 07:57 PM
The Exorcist is an orignal and still very creepy to me as well.

The first monster/horror movie I watched that gave me a nightmare was "The Day of the Triffids" . I watched it one afternoon at home, too sick to go to school, that night I had the nightmare. I woke up with my radio on and 10CC's "I'm not in Love" playing.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 08:11 PM
Did you sleep with a bottle of Killex, just in case?
Posted By: cb919 Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 08:16 PM
As a kid, 'the sleestacks' I think they were called in Land of the Lost tv series used to terrify me! I'd cower under a blanket until my older brother and sister told me they were gone cry

I don't usually watch horror movies, but I did find The Ring pretty creepy.
Posted By: alan Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 08:37 PM
Yes, The Exorcist is a classic. Also, Rosemary's Baby and The Invasion of the Body Snatchers are both very creepy and tense.
It's the remake of Body Snatchers in 1977, with Donald Sutherland, that's excellent.

I'm not much into grotesque limbs-lopped-off type of horror. I tried watching one of the "Saw" films and had to turn it off.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: Adrian Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 09:03 PM
I found Dr Tongue to be quite scary....AAaaaa-ooooohhh! heh, heh...
Posted By: Hansang Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 09:14 PM
The special on Discovery channel about the basis of Exorcist was even scarier! The very first Halloween wasn't too bad (before all the copy cat slashers showed up). The movie "Ring" was pretty decent as well.

As for comedy-horror genre, you can't beat Army of Darkness. Quirky, but funny as hell.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 10:39 PM
Army of Darkness, to call it quirky is a bit of an understatement, IMO it was just plain wierd.
Posted By: Tico Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 10:49 PM
The Exorcist came out in BluRay earlier this month. Hearing the sounds from that movie on my new Axiom system would probably creep the hell out of me.

If you want weird and disturbing: The Human Centipede.
Posted By: mazzum Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 11:04 PM
Check out "Let the Right One In". Sorry to say (for those of you who do not like) it is Swedish and sub-titled but one of the few "scary" movies I have seen in a long time.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/21/10 11:09 PM
Dumb and Dummer! The mere idea of ever seeing that movie again scares the hell out of me!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
I find any Steven Segal movie scary...esp for whoever bankrolled his movies grin

You didn't watch Exit Wounds last night I take it. smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 12:36 AM
Darn it!! I missed it!

For comedy-horror, my vote goes to A&C meet Frankenstein...it's the original comedy-horror movie and still lots of fun to watch.
Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 01:39 AM
I'll go with The Serpent and the Rainbow for horror and Scary Movie for comedy
Posted By: DreamTheater Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I found "Signs" creepy, but that just might be because I don't watch a whole lot of movies like that so there wasn't much to compare it to...

That did have a very creepy effect to it, especially the first half of the movie. I feel M Night however you spell his name movies always start great but never finish well.
Posted By: Henry66 Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 03:12 AM
I watched "The Andromeda Strain" when I was nine. Took me years to recover.

Did anyone watch "Cujo" when it came out? When I was 17 my friend and I took a couple of girls to see it. It was very effective.

I also remember "Pet Sematary" (yes, that's how it is spelled) being very creepy.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 03:22 AM
I feel M Night however you spell his name movies always start great but never finish well.

I remember seeing the preview for that movie and thinking to myself 'I gotta see that'. As you say, it started off well, but the movie went to Hokeyville pretty quickly.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 03:51 AM
Charles, it shouldn't be necessary to read the reviews; how could anyone resist a title like "Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl"? Apparently another titanic struggle in the magnitude of "Frankenstein vs the Wolfman", "Frankenstein vs the Creature from Blood Cove" and Dracula vs Just About Anybody.

At the moment I'm watching the titanic struggle UCLA is having with Oregon's zone reads and trap reads, but I'll certainly consider your suggestion for next Thursday.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 04:29 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
When I was about 8, and I saw Forbidden Planet on late night TV one weekend, the invisible monster in it really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I bought a copy of this a few years ago and watch it occasionally, but it's just not the same anymore.

You got scared, but the D'Agostino brothers watched the amp dials of the Krell machines maxing out while the Id monster used all the power to channel the dude's subconscious, and named their amplifiers after the movie's lost civiliation. the KRELL.
Posted By: snazzed Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: mazzum
Check out "Let the Right One In". Sorry to say (for those of you who do not like) it is Swedish and sub-titled but one of the few "scary" movies I have seen in a long time.

Seconded. I didn't find it so much 'scary' as 'riveting' though. I was fully engaged through the whole 100% of the movie, which doesn't happen often for me.

They're doing a Hollywood remake called, "Let me in" and the Trailer looks fantastic!

snazzed

Oh... 28 Days later. Best Zombie movie EVER. Except for maybe Zombieland
Posted By: medic8r Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: snazzed
28 Days Later. Best Zombie movie EVER. Except for maybe Zombieland.

I liked both of those.

I also have trouble getting really scared by a movie. I try to suspend disbelief and let the movie get me, but it doesn't work. I'll find myself laughing as much as flinching. I think it's equal parts:

a) having heard plenty of eye-opening stuff in my line of work
b) my German heritage predisposing me to emotional neutrality
c) being jaded from seeing too many vids on sites like NothingToxic.com and Break.com
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 09:59 PM
I still cannot comfortably watch "The Exorcist", and it took me years to listen to "Tubular Bells"! That movie freaked me out big time!

One of my favorite movies is "Audition"...starts out almost like romantic comedy then gets creepier and creepier. I would say it's more disturbing than scary, but it sure made me feel uneasy the entire time. Another good one is "The Descent".
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/22/10 11:11 PM
I like both of those too. smile

While not highly rated, The Ruins, also gives me a creepy feeling. Although there's a lot of the gross-out factor involved.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/23/10 12:33 AM

That did have a very creepy effect to it, especially the first half of the movie. I feel M Night however you spell his name movies always start great but never finish well.

Except of course, The Sixth Sense. That ending is right up there with "Dead Again" and "No Way Out"
Posted By: CV Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/23/10 04:17 AM
Let the Right One In was decent. Creepy enough for me. I'll have to watch it again sometime. The end of Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl is supposed to reference it, actually. Might help to have it fresh in my mind.

Ringu and The Ring did both creep me out. I really hate how the chick moves, so why did I watch both?

Audition, yeah. I'm not sure I'll watch that one again. Ha ha. The female lead is in Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl, so I'll have to keep an eye out for that, too.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Scary movies for Halloween - 10/23/10 06:28 AM
Oh, I keep forgetting about The Others...an excellent ghost story with spooky surround sounds. smile

I also forgot about some other classic movies that scared the crap out of me...The Changeling, The Entity, and the original Black Christmas.

© Axiom Message Boards