Axiom Home Page
Posted By: hhp Denon receiver for Axiom 4ohm speakers (M80) - 11/06/10 02:24 AM
Hi,

I am planning to buy the Denon receiver 4810ci for my future Epic 80-500 system.. When I talked to Denon today, they do not recommend this receiver for 4ohm speakers (i.e. M80). Instead, they recommended the 4311ci (which is the ONLY receiver they claimed to be stable for 4ohm speaker).

I am fairly new in this .. Anyone has experience using Denon 4810ci receiver with the M80 speaker? or any other Denon receiver? Please share your experience... Many advance thanks on my end..

Regards,

HHP
Even the Denon receivers in the $300-400 range have been driving M80's with no problem for many years. My 2805 from years ago, and my current 3805ci drive my m80's to levels most don't listen at, and don't break a sweat.

Keep in mind the m80's are well above 4 ohms for most of the frequency range.
Agreed. My 2809 has run my M80's(VP150/QS8s) with no issues for close to 2 yrs now.
HH, welcome. The advice from the Denon rep seems a bit nonsensical and possibly biased toward the newer, more expensive, model. All amplifiers are "stable"(if that's supposed to mean that they don't shut down)with a 4 ohm load unless they're driven too loud and too long. The M80s, whose average impedance over the entire frequency range is on the order of 6 ohms and which are slightly above average in sensitivity, are fairly easy to drive and can provide safe listening levels with lesser receivers than the 4310. If you want the 4311 because of some new feature, fine, but don't buy into some line about it somehow being more "stable".
Just some more evidence, I ran my 1804 and now run a 3808 with M80s no problems with either one. smile

I wonder why the change of heart by Denon with a 43XX series now capable of a 4 ohm rating? They must have increased the P/S, more heat sinks?
My Denon 4310CI is running the Epic 80-500-180 with no problems.
You will have no problems whatsoever. I think denon just wants more of your money. I've been running my epic 80-150-500 system for 3 years with a 3808 without a single problem.
Forgot to mention the 43XX series replaced the 38XX series in 2010.
I've been running 2 x M80s + 1 x VP180 with no problem with my 890.
And that's an even LOWER number!
Thought...."what the heck, I'll post this here".....

So, I'm going through a few old boxes of magazines, junk and other bits and pieces and I found my owners manual(s) for my old/first JVC stereo system from a-way-back in 1981. I'm flippin' through the manual for the receiver, model R-S7, (which didn't cost me much in a package deal including a turntable, cassette player and a couple of no-name speakers) and this is a bit of a surprise......my "cheap" JVC receiver is rated at 55w per channel at 8 ohms AND ALSO is spec'ed to run 4 ohm speakers at 70w per ch(!) with a claimed THD of .03%.

Huh!!
Do yu still have that receiver? Are you going to try it out with the Axiom's?
Yup. It's in it's orig box in the basement.
Hoarder.

smile
Adrian,

Those old stereo receivers had excellent power supplies and all but the very crappiest will usually drive 4-ohm loads. The power supply and big fat heat sinks only had to deal with two amplifier channels rather than five or seven as in today's AV receivers. So current flow and cooling weren't the problem they present in many current 7.1 receivers when they're connected to low impedances.

The only exceptions I recall were some of the tweaky British brands sold with plenty of smoke and mirrors (including notorious brand that refused to divulge rated power output and other specs). On the test bench, some of those didn't meet spec with one channel driven into an 8-ohm load, let alone 4 ohms.

Cheers,
Alan
© Axiom Message Boards