Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mem_tiger recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/13/10 02:08 PM
I ordered M22 F/L and and a VP150 for the center and they were shipped yesterday. I looked hard at the QS4/8's but am unable to buy them as they have to on the ceiling and are too large. I realize the that experience warrants the recommendations, but i would like to look somewhere else for the surrounds.

Having said that, please recommend alternatives for my surrounds (5.1) other then the axiom QS. These will go on the ceiling. any other makes have decent quality and look decent when mounted on the ceiling? Even ceiling/in wall are okay.

thanks for the advice..
Posted By: Gieseman Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/13/10 04:20 PM
Do you have room in the back for a pair of M2's. I have heard in ceiling speakers and not to say their bad just different. Everyone has there own taste, if you can in wall then go with one of the Axiom in wall. To me I would keep the speakers the same. I say this because of the tweeter keep the tweeter the same it will just sound better. I ran a pair of Paradigm ADP-190's with my M22-VP-100 it sounded good, but when I replaced the ADP's with a pair of QS8's wow what a big difference. So just my 2cents stick with the same speaker. Thanks and have a good one and have fun with the new speakers.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/13/10 04:38 PM
If you think even QS4's are "too big", then I think almost any conventional box speaker is going to be too big. Just get some in-ceiling speakers and be done with it. Emotiva was having a sale I think, but I have no experience with their products. There is a school of thought that in-ceiling speakers are not of sufficiently high fidelity to warrant much fuss, and the Dayton ones at Parts Express seem to get good reviews. Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: RickF Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/13/10 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
If you think even QS4's are "too big", then I think almost any conventional box speaker is going to be too big. Just get some in-ceiling speakers and be done with it. Emotiva was having a sale I think, but I have no experience with their products. There is a school of thought that in-ceiling speakers are not of sufficiently high fidelity to warrant much fuss, and the Dayton ones at Parts Express seem to get good reviews. Good luck and have fun.

I think Mr. Tomtuttle is right once again.

Whenever I first read this and keeping in mind of my personal experience and the rave reviews of the QS8/4's my initial thought was what would be a comparable surround speaker to Axiom's QS surround speakers?

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/13/10 04:47 PM
Not just comparable, Rick. SMALLER and comparable. wink
Posted By: RickF Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/13/10 04:56 PM
No, no ... I'm talking about a same sized surround speaker as the QS series, what other manufacturer or model speakers would be a good comparison regarding the same sonic presentation?

I knew that smaller and comparable wasn't going to fit in the same sentence with the QS speakers and thus my agreement with your suggestion of installing the in-ceilings.

Maybe a QS2. grin

Posted By: CatBrat Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/13/10 08:47 PM
Or Bose!!! (Looks both ways, then leaps from tall building)
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/14/10 02:02 AM
i have room in the back, but the HT is wired for speakers in the ceiling and will need to go into the ceiling.
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/14/10 02:05 AM
I can easily convince the wife if the QS speakers would go flush to the ceiling and not hang from the ceiling. I believe they are meant to be kind of vertically hangling even on the ceiling. Is there anyway or any mount available to flush mount or are they not built for that kind of install?
Posted By: Adrian Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/14/10 03:01 AM
They are more-a-less intended to be in an upright position but you could probably get away with as much as a 45 deg tilt towards the listening area I would think. They're not intended to mount flat on a ceiling....it's a shame you can't do something about the wiring, maybe extend it with some flat wire to the sides or backwall if you can't fish the wire through the ceiling.
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/14/10 03:28 AM
ok. will go down to the basement and see what can be done...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/14/10 04:34 AM
The included T-bracket is very good for mounting them flush with a wall, but neither that bracket nor the speakers are designed to mount flush to the ceiling. Axiom sells ceiling-mount brackets that are very nice.
Posted By: jakewash Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/14/10 06:26 AM
Would the inwall M2 work? I recall something about them allowing for a ceiling mount.

Just looked at how they install and I think an in ceiling installation isn't out of the question.
Posted By: wbedford Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/14/10 06:47 AM
Orb Audio.

If you cant fit these guys in:
http://www.orbaudio.com/images/450environ5.gif

..... Go 2.1 with an EP800.
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 03:58 AM
Thanks Adrian for the suggestion.

I do have room in the behind the seating area where i could possibly move them to. That would mean dry wall work to move cables, but you guys make it sound as if the QS is the kind of superior surround that i am tempted. one question. will the QS4/8 need space behind the speaker once mounted?
Posted By: Adrian Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 04:20 AM
The Q's sit flush to the wall on the included T'bracket so there's virtually no space(the woofers fire up and down, tweeters on the angled faces) but I'll mention just a couple of mounting tips...you will have to bare-wire them as there isn't room for banana plugs if you use the T-bracket and also some of us have found it easier to mount the Q on the T-bracket by bending the "lip" of the bracket slightly to help the two halves engage more easily (you'll see what I mean if you end up getting them).
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 08:27 PM
ok. now between qs8 or qs4? are the qs8 so much more better then the qs4?
Posted By: Adrian Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 08:51 PM
For the small premium in price, they offer greater range and power though they are both excellent for surround duties.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 09:09 PM
They are much better.
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 09:54 PM
Great! having surrounds behind you (2-3 feet)on a wall is okay?
Also, the wall i am talking about is vertical side of a dropped ceiling (to cover a beam). The speakers will be at a height of 8 feet. Will this work as the sitting hight will be much lower.
Also, you mentioned side and top firing for QS speakers. How will that translate to the audience sitting down?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 10:05 PM
That sounds like it would be fine. Can you get at least a few inches clearance between the top of the speaker and the ceiling?
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 10:37 PM
QS4 being 6.25" tall, i can leave upto 6 inches between the top of the speaker and the ceiling. QS8 being 8.25 inches tall, i can leave 4 inches.

So these will be going on the vertical portion of the drop ceiling like i mentioned. The vertical portion the drop is about atleast 1 foot high.
Posted By: Adrian Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 10:45 PM
Judging by the length of Axiom's optional ceiling mount bracket, you should be ok with 4" clearance.
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 11:01 PM
I was not going to mount to the ceiling anymore. I was going to rely on the included t mount/bracket and mount to the wall/vertical part of the drop ceiling. basically it the drop is a drywall around a load bearing beam and is 1 foot high. Will the included mount be okay to mount on a wall?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/15/10 11:41 PM
That should be fine, but I don't really understand the construction you are mounting to. If it is JUST drywall, make sure you use E-Z Ancors (or similar).

I think that will be a very good solution for you!
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/16/10 12:41 AM
Sorry. when i said drywall, there are joists and/or studs running behind which i can mount to.

Since my M22/VP150 FCL are are already shipped, Axiom is not willing to give me the 5% discount when i order 5 speakers. bummer. not sure what to do now as i was counting on the discount.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/16/10 12:59 AM
That's because they get a discount when 5 items are shipped to the same address and they pass it on to you.
Posted By: a401classic Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/16/10 02:23 AM
Originally Posted By: mem_tiger
Sorry. when i said drywall, there are joists and/or studs running behind which i can mount to.

Since my M22/VP150 FCL are are already shipped, Axiom is not willing to give me the 5% discount when i order 5 speakers. bummer. not sure what to do now as i was counting on the discount.

Go to Products/On Sale by Auction and save 10%...
Posted By: JohnK Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/16/10 02:34 AM
Scott, the auction won't work, unless among other things the wanted items are available.
Posted By: a401classic Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/16/10 05:43 AM
Somehow I knew I'd miss the FO...
Posted By: mem_tiger Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/16/10 05:51 PM
made it happen. called to palce an order for QS4 and then in the last second, switched and ordered the QS8's instead. Hope they will work and will not look out of place. Will post pics.
Thanks for the help.
Posted By: jakewash Re: recommend surrounds - QS too big - 11/16/10 07:30 PM
Axiom used to give out that 5% HT discount even when the order wasn't all at once, bummer frown
© Axiom Message Boards