Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sd vidiot In-wall bleed through - 11/19/10 07:25 AM
I'm thinking of investing in 3 (LCR) M22 in-walls which will be behind my AT screen. Does anyone have experience with sound bleeding through into neighboring roooms? Anything to do to prevent this?

Thanks!
Posted By: cb919 Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/19/10 03:22 PM
Welcome SD. I have the in/on wall version of the M22s and VP150. I have no specific issue with sound proofing (bleed through) of these speakers, although I did build and mount them in a 2x6 wall instead of a 2x4 wall and have a layer of safe n sound insulation behind them. That was done as part of my overall soundproofing of the theater room and not specifically for the in/on wall design. I will say that in a standard 2x4 wall construction you won't have room for much insulation behind them in wall installation. However as long as the back of the cabinet is not in direct contact with the drywall on the opposite side I don't think this will be an issue beyond general sound proofing of your HT room.

Cheers,
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/19/10 04:56 PM
What Dan said. Fiberglass batting insulation is your friend.
Posted By: alan Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/19/10 05:59 PM
Hi sd vidiot,

To add to the above comments, at Axiom we anticipated "bleed-through" as a potential problem with in-wall speakers so when when we developed our in/on wall lineup, all of the Axiom models have a sealed "backbox" (sealed to the interior of the wall, that is) to prevent rear-radiated sound from venting into the wall cavity. The ported models are ported to the exterior in the room in which the speakers are used. By using the back enclosure, we could also make the performance and design of each in/on-wall speaker consistent rather than having it be influenced by the variables of interior wall cavities.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: SirQuack Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/19/10 06:21 PM
depending on how thin your walls are, even with the prevention Axiom anticipated, there would still be a chance of hearing bass vibrations, however, if your system is setup correctly, that would be most likely coming from the subwoofer, if you have one.
Posted By: RickF Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/19/10 07:23 PM
Sometimes, every now and then I get bleed through issues and found a solution that works best for me ... my lovely (and she is lovely) wife yells at the top of her lungs and the volume quickly decreases from the upper 90s db levels to the mid to upper 70db levels. Problem solved!

It looks like she's yelling anyway.

Posted By: bdpf Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/19/10 07:51 PM
So your wife is an audio expert...
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/20/10 02:28 AM
Originally Posted By: sirquack
depending on how thin your walls are, even with the prevention Axiom anticipated, there would still be a chance of hearing bass vibrations

To elaborate on Randy's point, I think the most appropriate analogy, and one that all us guys can relate to, is farting. Although we wear underwear and pants that act as some isolation; the sound, vibration, and smell still "bleed" through the back of the pants.

Yup, that's probably the best analogy.

PS. Can anyone tell that I'm bored tonight grin ?
Posted By: a401classic Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/20/10 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: sd vidiot
I'm thinking of investing in 3 (LCR) M22 in-walls which will be behind my AT screen. Does anyone have experience with sound bleeding through into neighboring roooms? Anything to do to prevent this?

Thanks!

Well, I do. Have experience with this, anyhow... And I can put numbers to it!

With my family watching me, and looking at me and each other as if I were insane or something, I turned up the volume on my T2's, which are installed in a 2X6 wall with double R-19 insulation. The other side of the listening room is a bathroom. With the volume at 75 dB @ 2m on the front side, the volume on the back side (with the hall and bath doors closed) was a surprising 67 dB. As was commented on already, it was the lower frequencies that were bleeding through.
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-wall bleed through - 11/20/10 06:32 PM
The question is would that be the same amout of bleed through if they were standard M2 bookshlef speakers mounted on the wall?
© Axiom Message Boards