Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dax2112rush Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/01/10 05:22 PM
I have a 4.0 Axiom HT setup with M60 and QS8. I previously had them installed in an apartment with concrete between floors which I won't have in a new apartment I'm moving in soon, so I'm worried about the sound leakage. Would FMS QS stands provide better sound insulation? A lot better, or by a small margin only (given they cost ~300$)?

What about sound quality on wall vs on a stand?

Also, the apartment will be on the ground floor, would that allow me to get a sub-woofer without disturbing too much neighbors?

Thanks
Posted By: alan Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/01/10 06:17 PM
Hi dax,

I have an EP500 subwoofer on the ground floor of my apartment building (it was a factor that made the condo attractive when I purchased it) and I get no complaints. Deep bass in apt. buildings tends to bother neighbors below you and to either side (if you share common walls) rather than tenants above you. I run my system quite loud at times (peaks at 96 dB SPL) and my neighbors above have never complained.

There would be no difference in wall-mounted or stand-mounted QS8s in terms of sound transmission to neighboring apartments because the surrounds carry no deep bass, so it's the total acoustic output of your system that might bother neighbors if you run it too loud.

The only (slight) compromise in using QS8 Stands is the height. Ideally, the QS8s are at their optimum when placed a couple of feet or more above ear level when you are seated. However, they are very placement forgiving and I think you'll find that other forum owners of QS8s on stands report excellent surround envelopment.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: bdpf Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/01/10 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
I run my system quite loud at times (peaks at 96 dB SPL) and my neighbors above have never complained.

Maybe the only reason is because you have nice neighbors wink
Posted By: 4EverYoung Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/01/10 08:33 PM
Dax,

I just read your post and registered in order to reply. This past weekend I just mounted my 2 QS8's on the wall, about 6.5 feet from the floor (I wanted them a bit lower but the wife overruled me). Previously, for about 2 yrs, they were on stands. All I can tell you is that the difference in sound quality is AMAZING. I honestly cannot believe the difference. Mounting them on the wall is the way to go, the sound now completely fills the room.

M60's in the front
VP150 center
Epic 500 sub
QS8's surrounds
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/01/10 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
my neighbors above have never complained.

They're gathering piccolos as we speak....
Posted By: billy p Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/01/10 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: 4EverYoung
Dax,

I just read your post and registered in order to reply. This past weekend I just mounted my 2 QS8's on the wall, about 6.5 feet from the floor (I wanted them a bit lower but the wife overruled me). Previously, for about 2 yrs, they were on stands. All I can tell you is that the difference in sound quality is AMAZING. I honestly cannot believe the difference. Mounting them on the wall is the way to go, the sound now completely fills the room.

M60's in the front
VP150 center
Epic 500 sub
QS8's surrounds

Not comapring apples to apples but I went from a direct radiating speaker on stands to the Q4's on wall I was very happy with the end results. As for the OP expressing concerns regading his neighbours and buying a sub he could look into these if he has any concerns? http://www.auralex.com/c_sound_isolation/c_sound_isolation.asp
Posted By: dax2112rush Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/02/10 04:50 AM
thanks for your replies. Based on your replies, I will stick to wall-mounting my QS8 since it's free and seemingly better.

As for a subwoofer, I've never really owned one (except for some crappy logitech computer speaker set). I've yet to decide how much I'd like to spend on one. I feel it would greatly enhance games and movies, but don't know how much I need to spend to get a "decent" subwoofer.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/02/10 10:15 AM
Decent subwoofer is whatever you wan/are willing to spend for a quality sub. I would suggest for the best HT/gaming experience you go with one that has at least a 12" driver as anyting smaller lacks the volume to move enough air for great effects. A 10" driver works but lacks the real lower end rumble etc. that the 12" and larger drivers offer, at least from my experience. elemental Designs, SVS, Axiom EP350 and up are all good sources of excellent quality subs but they may be more than you are willing to spend.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/02/10 12:48 PM
I agree with what Jakewash said. I tried the EP175 with 10 inch and it didn't do it for me, but the EP350 works just fine, if you decide to go with an Axiom sub.
Posted By: billy p Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/02/10 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: dax2112rush
thanks for your replies. Based on your replies, I will stick to wall-mounting my QS8 since it's free and seemingly better.

As for a subwoofer, I've never really owned one (except for some crappy logitech computer speaker set). I've yet to decide how much I'd like to spend on one. I feel it would greatly enhance games and movies, but don't know how much I need to spend to get a "decent" subwoofer.

What is your budget and how big is your room is a good start? Most likely ID would give you the best bang for your buck or looking into the used market, another option if your so inclined are DIY kits. smile
Posted By: dax2112rush Re: Surround Stand vs Wall Mount - 12/02/10 04:15 PM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I would suggest for the best HT/gaming experience you go with one that has at least a 12" driver as anyting smaller lacks the volume to move enough air for great effects.

Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I agree with what Jakewash said. I tried the EP175 with 10 inch and it didn't do it for me, but the EP350 works just fine, if you decide to go with an Axiom sub.

Thanks for the advise, I'll try to stay away from 10 inch subs. For a sub it makes sense, since the bigger it is, the lower it can go.

Originally Posted By: billy_p
What is your budget and how big is your room is a good start? Most likely ID would give you the best bang for your buck or looking into the used market, another option if your so inclined are DIY kits.

Room is approx 11x18. I haven't fixed a budget now. I don't see myself paying going over 1k$ however. Now, I don't want to spend 1k$ if I can't justify it. I'd rather pay something like 500$ esp. since I don't feel I'll really be able to crank it as much as I'd like in an apartment. So I'd be looking for some "best bang for the buck" subwoofer, I guess. However, I don't want to buy something that I will later regret buying, so if it's really worth paying more, I'd rather pay more.

As for kits, I don't know. If the build time is not too long, I guess I wouldn't mind... it could even be fun.

Thanks
© Axiom Message Boards