Axiom Home Page
Posted By: astav Weak Sub Output - 07/09/03 09:20 PM
Hey folks. I'm trying to correct the weak signal from my
receiver's mono out to the sub. With a line level connection it's extremely weak and only somewhat improved with a Y connector. The only way I've been able to get any decent output is with speaker level connections. I have a pretty old 5.1 receiver (Onkyo TX SV424). Curiously, the remote has center/rear adjustment buttons, but nothing for fronts/sub. What gives?
Posted By: Gary Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 05:14 AM
Are you using a good, thick cable for the sub? When I first got mine I thought it was weak, and then I upgraded cables and it was like night and day.
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 05:32 AM
Looks like a pretty standard cable to me. What did you upgrade with/to?
Posted By: Gary Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 05:51 AM
I used a generic rca cable until I hooked up a Monster Cable sub cable. I'm not sure on the model number but I've seen it at best buy.
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 05:53 AM
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 05:56 AM
Astav, you didn't identify the sub, but any sub with its own amp doesn't receive any power over either the line level or speaker level connections, so the cable(unless it was totally broken)shouldn't be the problem. I assume that you tried turning up the level control on the sub. If the added voltage using the Y-connector helped, then you need still more voltage from the sub output on the receiver. I'm not familiar with your receiver, but any receiver with a line-level sub output has to have a provision for changing the level of that output. The owners manual should at least briefly discuss the point.
Posted By: curtis Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 05:58 AM
What kind of sub is it? Have you tried adjusting the gain(volume) on the sub itself?
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 06:19 AM
John K. Unfortunately I can't find the manual. I've contacted Onkyo for a replacement but haven't heard back from them. Maybe there is some Jedi remote feature I haven't discovered yet. I'll keep at it...
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 06:21 AM
It's a Klipsch Ksw 12
Posted By: Gary Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 06:27 AM
That's funny, im listening to that same sub right now. It's plently loud for me.
Posted By: Gary Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 06:29 AM
astav, have you tried adjusting the phase switch? One time the sub sounded wrong and this was the problem.
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 06:50 AM
I've done everything I can do short of tweaking the mono out.
Posted By: curtis Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 06:55 AM
Is this "mono out" a sub out?
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 07:08 AM
Well, the receiver is an early Onkyo 5.1 and the output I'm talking about is labeled "Mono Out", so I'm assuming it's the .1
Posted By: curtis Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 07:16 AM
Does it say dolby digital or AC3 on the reciever anywhere? Is there not a "sub out" or subwoofer connection? And you do not know how to get to sub settings on the reciever, right?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 07:32 AM
Your 424 is hiding from me for some reason, but I looked at the SV373 manual, hopefully similar. Press CH SEL button on remote to display(presumably on receiver display)SUBWOOFER indicator. Press level up or down buttons on remote to adjust level between -30db and +12db.
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 07:34 AM
It says "Dolby Surround - Pro Logic" on one of the front corners. No sub/sub out connections.
Posted By: curtis Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 07:42 AM
I think we are getting closer, but it is time for bed. If John's subwoofer level doesn't work....I'm guessing there is no rca subwoofer output on the unit.
Posted By: astav Re: Weak Sub Output - 07/10/03 07:43 AM
Yeah, I tried looking up the manual and remote at the Onkyo site. No luck. My remote (RC-295S) seems to be an earlier model - no "Ch Select" button on it. The closest I've come to the speaker level controls is the "Test" feature. There is a Test button on the remote that cycles through the main R/L and sub, but I can't change the levels while the test is going on. Aaaargh...I think I'll go pass out now. Thanks for the help everybody.
© Axiom Message Boards