Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Kruncher Axiom Deals/Auction question - 02/05/11 11:50 PM
It seems like a silly question, given Axiom's customer service reputation, but as it's not explicitly mentioned, I thought not make assumptions and that I'd ask.

There are a couple of QS8 sets in the auction at the moment, but it's not clear that the T-brackets and other hardware are included. Are they included in the auction price?

Has anyone bought them via the auction, and if so, were the brackets included?

Thanks all.
Posted By: merchman Re: Axiom Deals/Auction question - 02/06/11 12:01 AM
Kruncher, I bought my QS8's from the auction site and they came with all the hardware as new A-stock.

I'm loving mine! smile
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Axiom Deals/Auction question - 02/06/11 12:11 AM
Excellent. Knew that I could count on the forum for a quick response! Thank you Ed!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom Deals/Auction question - 02/06/11 12:49 AM
I would guess that if it's a private seller, it would have to be explicitly stated. But if it's Axiom, it's probably safe to assume that it comes with all of that.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Axiom Deals/Auction question - 02/06/11 07:02 AM
Too funny. I was just looking at their QS8's from there as well. Wanting to add 2 more to my setup for after we move, plus I've got an Axiom gift certificate to use...
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Axiom Deals/Auction question - 02/07/11 04:13 AM
Won the auction for a pair of QS8s. Good timing - Superbowl weekend and all as the auction ended during the game.

Then again, maybe the auctions don't often get many competitive bids, I don't know.

Regardless, I'm happy! grin
Posted By: merchman Re: Axiom Deals/Auction question - 02/07/11 04:16 AM
Congrats Krunch!

Looking forward to your impression of them when you get them hooked up! smile
Posted By: Kruncher The Torture of Waiting - 02/08/11 07:33 PM
I just got the email. The QS8s have shipped, and accordingly, this is step 2. wink

Appropriately, I'm now listening to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: "The waiting is the hardest part." grin

It's been so long since I got the M22s that I've forgotten about this experience. It's like having kids. laugh
Posted By: Kruncher Re: The Torture of Waiting - 02/16/11 04:19 AM
I received my QS8s and unboxed them this evening.

As when I purchased the M22s from the Factory Outlet, as it was known at the time, it once again took several minutes to find the visual flaw in the product from the items purchased via the Auction.

As near as I can tell, without having previously seen any QS8s first hand, the flaws on both are (slightly) imperfect Axiom logos affixed to the speakers. I'll post back if I find something else.

The mounting task might not happen until the weekend.
Posted By: INANE Re: The Torture of Waiting - 02/16/11 04:28 AM
Maybe I didn't want to look hard enough but I never found the flaws on my B stock QS4s. Good to hear the imperfections are still minor on the factory seconds. Once my new HT is complete I'm pretty sure I'll be getting some QS8's and possibly from the factory outlet.
Posted By: snazzed Re: The Torture of Waiting - 02/18/11 04:07 PM
My M22s and QS8s are BStock. I was able to find the flaw on one of the QS8s... the other three speakers are perfect as far as I can tell. While I did look closely for flaws, I didn't inspect them inch by inch with a Flashlight or anything.

snazzed
Posted By: fredk Re: The Torture of Waiting - 02/19/11 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Kruncher
As near as I can tell, without having previously seen any QS8s first hand, the flaws on both are (slightly) imperfect Axiom logos affixed to the speakers.

Doesn't that make them collectors items?
Posted By: Kruncher The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 04:02 AM
Having finally installed my QS8s yesterday, I'd say that any QS8 should be a collector's item.

I ended up slightly compromising and installing them behind the main seating, inset about a foot from each side wall they're about 10' apart and almost 7' from the floor (due to closet doors). Nice clean look without visible wires.

They are a bit of fun to hang on the T-brackets. I'm sure that it gets easier when you get used to it, but I'm likely to do that again for awhile.

But enough about the work, and on to the sound. It's one thing to read about these things, as I did here for far too long, and it's another to hear them sing in your room.

After an Audyssey calibration (I do prefer using it), late Saturday, I was able to listen to a bunch of material today.

The pairing with the M22s is absolutely seamless when it needs to be, as it was when playing select Vivaldi tracks with the receiver set DPLII/Orchestra. The new setup provided a full, lush, complete sound that the old Paradigm Titans just didn't provide.

On the other hand, discrete surround audio for drums and other percussion (Blue Man Group, The Complex DVDA), strings such as violins and acoustic guitars (Jackson Browne Running on Empty DVDA) and even vocals (Pink Floyd DSOTM's Great Gig In The Sky SACD), are rendered as beautifully as I'm accustomed to hearing from the M22s in Stereo mode. Note that for DVDA and SACD listening I use multichannel analog inputs, forgoing the Audyssey processing. My Pioneer player has speaker distance adjustments, and the receiver can adjust sub levels when using multichannel inputs, so that's rudimentary bass management handled.

Turning quickly to movies, the impact of Dark Knight audio assault can now be felt more than ever in my room, right from the start. In the Fellowship of the Ring, the hobbits pass the doorman in Bree and the sound of the rain made me feel as though I were outside and the fireworks of the party scene impressed early on. Both films on bluray.

As pleased with my decision as I was, it was reinforced nicely when the Mrs., whose affinity for Top 20 Dance/Pop makes me want to cry, said that she really didn't expect such a huge difference. From her, that's big praise.

In summary, my only disappointment is in myself for waiting so long to proceed with this upgrade.
Posted By: INANE Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 04:50 AM
Good deal!
Posted By: solarrdadd Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 04:51 AM
I'm happy for ya Kruncher, congrats on your upgrade and I feel the same way about both my QS8's & QS4's. Both excellent at what they do.
Posted By: fredk Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 05:20 AM
Excellent cruncher. I got suckered convinced by poeple here early on that I should go for the whole deal and I'm glad I was.

Have you tried master and commander yet. There is a scene near the beginning where they beat to arms and you can hear boots on wood going across your cieling. Very cool!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 05:32 AM
Thanks guys. I`ll have to dig my M&K DVD out Fred. I remember reading that description here some time ago.

::runs back to the man-cave::
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 11:47 AM
Awesome, Krunch!
Posted By: Henry66 Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 01:27 PM
Fully agree. I found a bootleg of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in DVD-Audio quadrophonic (4.0) surround sound yesterday. Pure audio utopia with the QS8's.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 02:21 PM
Very good, Krunch. If you want to make your QS8's easier to install, what I do is bend the mating tangs out on an angle slightly to help them mesh more easily. That scene Mark mentioned in M&C is probably the best surround effects I've heard so far along with the battle that accompanies it.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 04:41 PM
That's right... tell me now Adrian. wink

One day I'll get it right and say "M&C" and not accidentally extend the whole Kruncher thing.

Very cool scene by the way. And again at around the 47/48 minute mark. Lots going on sonically in that film.
Posted By: fredk Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 05:59 PM
Yeah. The first time all the cannons started going off it scared the crap out of my son. grin These are the moments we partents live for.
Posted By: RickF Re: The Joy of QS8s - 02/21/11 07:12 PM
Glad to hear you are digging the new QS8s Kruncher, the M&C scenes are excellent sound tracks and another that I totally enjoy is a gunfight/shootout in Open Range, it will almost make you duck and dodge the bullets flying by you!
© Axiom Message Boards