Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Seekinganswers Onkyo 808 vs Marantz 5004 - 02/15/11 03:02 AM
Hello,

I know this would not be a fair comparison from a strictly performance perspective. The 808 definitely looks great on paper and walks around with a lot more weight than the 5004. The Marantz seem to dance with more finesse.

I have an 808 on order after my 606 crapped on me with the hdmi issues. Decided to give Onkyo another go because they seem to offer so much more than everyone else for the money. With that said, I came across the 5004 on amazon and it was at a very attractive price point. I've always wanted to try a Marantz because of all the positive reviews and how amazing they look.

I know the 5004 does not have as much power as the 808. I am a minimalist at heart and do not really care much for the new exhaustive features. My main concern is audio quality and how easy it is to plug up my speakers and listen to great sound.

The 5004 is attractive because it comes at a lower price point. My only concern with the 5004 is I came across a few threads stating that the 5004s were a problematic series. I don't want another experience like my 606.

Please advise.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Onkyo 808 vs Marantz 5004 - 02/15/11 03:59 AM
michael_d's Marantz caught on fire once.

I don't think it was a 5004, though.

Shop on features and price. I'm sure either one would be lovely.
Posted By: Wid Re: Onkyo 808 vs Marantz 5004 - 02/15/11 04:09 AM
If your looking at those two brands try Accessories for less. They sell factory refurbs. I bought my Onkyo 707 from here and it has been flawless so far.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Onkyo 808 vs Marantz 5004 - 02/15/11 04:24 AM
Seek, I've just recovered from reading "dance with more finesse" and I suppose in similar spirit I should suggest that the 808 and 5004 are equally "danceable" within their power limits. My own choice would clearly be the 808, especially at the prices available from Accessories4less, but if the additional features and maximum power capacity aren't significant to you, then go with the lower price.
© Axiom Message Boards