Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravisudhir Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 12:57 AM
After lots of research, I finally ordered M22s, QS8s and VP150. I opted out of the sub. I am thinking of going for either SVS or Hsu VTF-2. I think the jury is out between the two subs, or is it?

Also, while ordering, Alan cautioned me about getting M22s for the size of my room (16'x20', two storey cathedral ceiling opening into breakfast room and kitchen. Although I do not have enough room beside the TV to get in full towers, his caution left me a little concerned. I will not have room for towers because I am going to put the system in a corner. I can fit in the Energy C-7 towers and they look good too, but they sound just okay. Should I be concerned about getting the bookshelves? I am not expecting to play at very high volumes because this is the family room.
Posted By: HGP Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 03:26 AM
That sounds like an awfully large space to fill for any bookshelf speaker. I'm also in a large space and ended up with the M60s after originally ordering the M22s.

The good news is that Axiom has a great 30-day return policy. Try them out and if they don't work you can send them back. The M22 is a fine speaker, but if you can make the M60 work it should be a better match for the space you need to fill.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 07:19 AM
If you aren't going to play them loud, you should be fine. I HIGHLY recommend the VTF-2. (They offer FREE shipping now too!)

Enjoy your new speakers! You should be very, very happy with that setup.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 07:40 AM
To counter spiff's recommendation, but not to detract at all from the Hsu VTF-2, I highly recommend the SVS PB1-ISD.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 07:43 AM
If you don't know...this is pretty standard. You'll never find anyone who has a bad thing to say about either SVS or Hsu subwoofers. Pick one...you'll be thrilled with either.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 07:47 AM
You just want your name to show up on the main index page, don't you?!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 07:54 AM
Of course! Sushi usually hogs all the lime light. We've gotta get your time in the sun in, when he's fast asleep in TX.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 03:58 PM
How come NOBODY ever mentions the M40 or M50 in these instances? It seems like most Axiom owners don't acknowledge those models as viable options for larger spaces. I've read (and re-read) the boards on these topics, including the wonderful comparisons offered. I guess my renewed question is, for those who are in a position to comment, is there EVER a case (based on more than just budget) where the M40 or M50 might be a good fit either for home theatre or based on certain musical preferences?

I'm still in the agonizing stage (ready to order in about a month after a move). I've always wanted floorstanders, but am having trouble stretching my budget for the M60's. And I'll have to buy a sub eventually anyway, because we do 70/30 home theatre over music. So, my quandary is between the M40, M50 and M22. I understand that everyone adores the imaging of the M22, but neither me nor the missus wants stands (kids and dogs).

Is the preference for the M22/M60 dependent AT ALL upon musical taste? I know Sushi will be appalled, but I listen to virtually no classical, gravitating towards modern art rock and jazz standards.

God this is driving me insane.
Posted By: gem41573 Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 04:48 PM
Tom,

In response to your question, the M40's have similar characteristics to the M3, which is a bit warmer sounding than the M22/M60, which are more forward sounding. Some prefer the more laid back sound of the M3/M40, while others prefer the more forward sound of the M22/M60. There's no right answer, just personal preference.

The M50 is kind of the forgotten Axiom. It is very rarely discussed, but I would suspect that for most people, if you are going to step up in a tower speaker past the M40, they figure they may as well take the leap to M60, as the M60 is so highly regarded. I am sure the M50 sounds great, but it is just not discussed frequently.

In your case, if you are deciding between the M40, M50 and M22, I would think you would be advised to forget about the M40, unless you really do not like the more forward sound of the M22's. As between the M22 and M50, I can't really speak to that as I have never heard the M50's.

In response to the earlier question on whether the M22's will fill that size room, I use the M22's in a 12'X 21' living room, which opens in the other direction into an 8' X 10' foyer area, and the M22's fill it up just fine. There are no issues with the M22's not being able to handle my room.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 05:11 PM
Tom,
I have to echo gem's reply to you.
The difference b/w the M60/M22 and M40/M50 is mostly in cabinet size, driver numbers and for sound, the upper end as was mentioned.

Here are some links to reviews (if you have not already seen them) with some of these speakers which may help you somewhat (or maybe not):

See the bottom of this post for a link to 3 reviews including M40s, M50s and M22s.
This link may also be useful.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/17/03 06:03 PM
You could always start a new thread called "Spare some change?" and ask folks to chip in the difference between the M50 and the M60. I'd be willing to drop a buck or two into your cup.
Posted By: ravisudhir Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/18/03 02:12 AM
That is great! I have the feeling that M22s may be enough too, but I will have to see myself. Unfortunately, I had to order a custom finish (birchwood) and so have to wait 6 weeks.
I am leaning towards SVS cylinder because it can be tucked away in the corner and my wife thinks it will make a good plant stand...

I am torn between Marantz SR7300 and Harman Kardon AVR 525 for the receiver side. Any opinions?

My system:
Samsung 61" DLP
Panasonic CP72 DVD player
Posted By: wschwartz Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/18/03 02:28 AM
My understanding is that you cannot use a cylinder sub as a stand for a plant or anything else. I believe the top must be kept completely unobstructed. But perhaps you knew that.
Posted By: ravisudhir Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/18/03 03:12 AM
No, I did not know that. I thought SVS website says it can be used as a plant stand, but may be they were talking about the cube sub.
Posted By: nowave Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/18/03 06:06 AM
I actually own a pair of M40's. I think the reason the M50's don't get much talk is because they're so close to the M60's, which are the just about the pinnacle of the "axiom sound" spectrum.

The M40's found a special place for me. I needed something for a smaller sized room (so I wouldn't have to stick it too far out from the wall) and offered a full range for a low price. Initially I was looking at the M3's and M22's, and quickly realized that could never own speakers with stands.

Actually, to be more precise, I was almost sold on the M22's but then started looking at the M40's. The price was right about the same, and one would need stands and probably a subwoofer much sooner than the other one would... so I looked (exhaustively) at other reviews on this forum, and knowing my personal tastes - I decided on the warmer sounding speaker.

The M40's I think are very good for me. They are a very compact tower that is perfect for small to medium rooms without a sub (although I think about one from time to time)... the vocals are just amazing through them, although I could see how someone might call them a tad "rich," but I think it boils down to personal preference.

Plus, I get zero "listening fatigue" from them, and I listen to them pretty much all the time. More importantly, my girlfriend does not either, and she is sometimes very sensitive to some of my more abrasive semi-experimental music.

As a disclaimer, I also prefer the warmer sound of vinyl to CD - so I think this also biases me towards the warmer side of the Axiom spectrum. I know some want absolute clarity, etc. but there is a point to where, I think, you are getting the full range of the music. It is then up to the listener to decide how s/he wants the music colored, because there is no "true" transparency. Like a friend once recommended to me, "Never read a publication that claims to be politically neutral. Read the biased ones, at least they are honest." I mean, I've see thousands of live performances - I go through stretches where I see 4-6 a week, and no music recorded sounds very "live" - it's all interpreted - so strive for clarity, then interpret at will I say.

Oh, and btw - that little tirade only applies to music - I don't do H/T... which I realize is the forum I'm posting in, but I thought it might be relevant.
From the SVS website:

Plants, your best friend's bottle of beer, and that 50 lb. bust of Beethoven are all very bad things to put on top of our cylinder subs by comparison [with their box subs].  Their  tops must be un-obstructed as their top-firing ports are protected by a relatively light-weight mesh grill.  If this matters to you, the box SVS's gain another point in their favor.
Yeah, I saw that. Thanks for letting me know. I probably will go for the SVS gold color sub for $650.

Can anyone pickup on the reciever aspect, between Marantz SR7300 and H/K AVR525? I thought I decide on the marantz, but I just came across a thread in hometheaterspot about high frequency hiss problem. Any opinions?
On the receiver...

I am very happy with my Pioneer Elite 45TX. Its auto-MCACC feature is no gimmick. Its amp section is very robust according to the third-party measurements. A comparative review article in HiFi News (UK) reports that the 45TX (European equivalent) maintained almost 140W/channel of steady-state power when 5 channels were driven, grossly outperforming its own specs and other receivers compared in the article (I have the entire article in pdf, if you are interested -- can't find the link right now). My 45TX does not have any problems driving my 4-ohm Hales front speakers at very high sound levels.

The 45TX is being replaced now by its successors 53TX and 55TXi, so if you can fine one you likely get it for a bargain price. The new 55TXi, available by the end of July, features the emerging industry standard for digital connection of DVD-A/SACD players (i.Link/IEEE1394) if you are interested in such features.

I suggest that you look at these receivers as well.
A bunch of us on this board own H/K receivers. I own the AVR520 (predecessor to the 525), and I can say that the peformance of the 520 is outstanding. It powers my Axioms beautifully (no issue about pairing it with the 6-ohm VP150 and QS8's), and the warmth of the H/K receivers blends quite well with the detail of the Axioms. It has a lot of punch for home theater as well.

Marantz are very highly regarded receivers as well, but I would have no hesitation recommending the H/K 525.
I chose the 525 because it had a better feature set for the money (ie, 7.1, not 6.1), and I'd heard that Marantz had some serious quality issues with the 7200 (7300's predecessor). Of course, at the time, I was comparing to the 6300 and the 7200, not the 7300. I picked up the 525 for about half price on onecall.com as a refurb. Works great!
Well I can't give you any info on the Marantz, but I just picked up a refurbed 525 from Onecall. It's driving M60s, M3s and a VP150, I've been afraid to see just how loud it can go. I get around +5db and I'm afraid the plaster is going to come off the walls!

I had compared the 325 against the Denon 2803 and even though the Denon was rated at 20 more wpc than the H/K, the 325 smoked the Denon in presence and power.

I ended up going with the refurbed 525, it was cheaper than the 325 locally. The remote could be better, but outside of that and the sound dropout when it changes decoding formats, it rocks. I don't think you can touch the output and features for the money. Just my humble opinion.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/18/03 08:58 PM
If you want to use an SVS cylinder sub as a plant stand, you'll have to get the SS-Ultra -- which will cost you extra.

Here's a picture I nabbed from the SVS forum on the Home Theater Spot. My don't they look nice in pairs....

Posted By: 500 Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/18/03 09:51 PM
I would definately go the floor stander route if I were you. Don't forget that speakers see the whole room in terms of size (2 story ceiling) and must be able to fill it. I am going through the same thing with the vp100. It could not hang with my m50's (the forgotten axiom. I'm going to form a crew. The m50 crew, me and the two other guys on earth that own them and we will bring it hard.) or my qs8's when the volume was turnd up. I just orderd the vp150 so hopefully my problems will be solved. My room is 30 x 20 with 8 ft drop ceiling and wall to wall carpeting.
Posted By: ravisudhir Receiver - 07/19/03 10:35 PM
Just bought HK 525 and Hsu VTF-2!:) VTF-2 B stock is on sale for $399 with free shipping and could not resist. I was able to negotiate a local dealer to sell HK 525(new) for $599 and could not resist either. My Samsung DLP 61" is being delivered monday and cannot wait to play! My axioms are the only ones taking two more weeks:(

Thanks, everyone!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Receiver - 07/19/03 10:40 PM
Happy, happy, joy, joy for you! You're going to LOVE you're new setup!

Posted By: MIKEY Re: Finally ordered axioms! - 07/21/03 06:54 PM
Ach to lieber !!! Those are drop dead gorgeous !!!
© Axiom Message Boards