Axiom Home Page
Posted By: shoeless Center channel placement - 03/01/11 03:19 PM
Newbie here. Hoping to get some qualified opinions on my dilemma.

I am building a house and have some WAF (wife acceptance factor) issues that must be addressed. I know for sure that I will be using the in-wall M2's for my right and left. I currently have an old M0 center channel which I may or may not use in the middle. My problem is that I cannot place the center channel under the drop-down projector screen, ergo it must go above the screen in the soffit. There is no wall directly behind the screen, so it cant be embedded in the wall at a lower height.

The center channel will be approx 8 feet off the ground. I imagine I'm going to have to angle the speaker down to make sure its sound targets the appropriate spot in the room. My question is, how could I angle down an in-wall M2 and still make it asthetically pleasing to the wife? The M0 is easy - just prop up the rear of the speaker on a built-in shelf and then secure a paintable metal grill flush with the soffit. It's the indentation of an angled in-wall that has thrown me for a loop. I can't use a larger standard speaker in an embedded fashion because the soffit isn't wide enoough to accommodate the depth. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 05:30 PM
Can you build a small angular box over/attached to the soffit to mount the M0 in? or maybe run an angle over the front of the entire soffit as if it were designed that way via a framework/drywall(depends in part, on the height of the actual soffit).
Posted By: shoeless Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 06:24 PM
Can't do an angular soffit, unfortunately. The most likely result is to put the M0 on a built in shelf inside the soffit and simply tip it forward so the top edge rests on the grate that will cover the opening. I am just concerned about the timbre match after everyone on the board seems to indicate that a horizontal M2 would be the most ideal choice since it would match the R/L speakers exactly.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 06:39 PM
Vertical M2.
Posted By: shoeless Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 06:41 PM
How would you mount the M2 to angle it towards the listening area, or is that an overrated requirement?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 06:44 PM
That high up, I'd definitely try to get some angle on it. Can you use a regular M2 on a shelf in the soffit? No harm in having a center that outperforms your mains.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 06:46 PM
Not an overrated requirement at all. Especially since it's 8 feet up. Personally, to make matters easier, I would just go with a bookshelf M2 and a FMB (full metal bracket), or similar. Mounted to the ceiling, if it can't be mounted to the wall. But since I can't see, or get a good mental image of what it is you're looking at, I'm just guessing.
Posted By: shoeless Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 07:05 PM
If I didn't need to hide it, this whole thing would be a breeze. smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 07:14 PM
Have you thought maybe about one of the VP100 or VP150 versions, that you could hide in the soffit and prop up the rear end? Just wondering.
Posted By: shoeless Re: Center channel placement - 03/01/11 07:58 PM
Thought about the 100, but the soffit is more of a partition between two ajoining rooms, which means it's only going to be about 8" wide, which is why the M0 still has appeal. I'm just concerned about the lack of timbre matching using that particular set up.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Center channel placement - 03/02/11 03:07 AM
Shoeless, welcome. With the difficulties which have been mentioned with the high mounting, I'm wondering if an under-screen positioning might still be possible. Depending on the position of the screen when lowered, there would be plenty of room for an M2 on a short base and tilted slightly upward. If it wasn't desirable to have it positioned there permanently, it could be placed into position when the screen was lowered.
Posted By: shoeless Re: Center channel placement - 03/02/11 09:05 PM
John,

I think you missed the part about the WAF. smile
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: Center channel placement - 03/02/11 09:31 PM
shoe - Isn't the house your's too? Man up buddy. Tell her what and where you want that center.............Wha...Huh....What honey?.......You say the roast I'm cooking smells burnt?......Ok, I'll look at it after I put another load of cloths in the washer.........Now where was I? Oh yeah, put the center where you damn well please.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Center channel placement - 03/02/11 10:47 PM
Are you saying she's walking all over shoe, or do you want shoe to get the boot? wink
Posted By: JohnK Re: Center channel placement - 03/03/11 02:41 AM
No, I didn't.
Posted By: shoeless Re: Center channel placement - 03/03/11 07:35 PM
I'll figure out the total configuration later, but my last question is at how much of an angle can I place the center speaker? Is there a problem if I exceed say, 20 degrees? Thanks.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Center channel placement - 03/03/11 07:44 PM
I would not sacrifice perfection/sound for WAF. We all have the WAF, at least most of us do.
Posted By: avjunkee Re: Center channel placement - 03/04/11 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: shoeless
I'll figure out the total configuration later, but my last question is at how much of an angle can I place the center speaker? Is there a problem if I exceed say, 20 degrees? Thanks.

With your centre speaker that high above the listening position I would seriously consider one of Axiom's horizontal designs vp100/150 instead. You will benefit way more from their superior vertical off axis dispersion capabilities than you will trying to timbre match your front LCR.

In your case, even with three identical front LCR speakers you won't get a proper timbral match, nor will you get a seamless front soundstage simply due to the extreme location of the centre relative to your mains. Unless you have seating way way off to the side, you should be more concerned with the vertical off axis performance of the centre speaker.

Trying to timbre match using identical front LCR is fine, but that is assuming they are all on the same plane and with placed in identical / similar surroundings (ie. distances from boundaries, behind or in front of screen, etc.). Non-ideal placement can level the playing field when comparing vertical vs. horizontal centre speakers.
Posted By: shoeless Re: Center channel placement - 03/04/11 05:54 PM
Thanks, AV. I'll look at the 100, I don't think I have the room in the opening for a 150. I may be stuck with the M0 that I presently own if the 100 turns out to be too big.
© Axiom Message Boards