Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jhunt17 Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/21/11 05:34 AM
If a product's worth is measured by how often it is used divided by the amount it cost, I would say my speakers have been easily my most economical deal ever. It has now been almost six years since I bought my original Epic 60 500 system and I use it constantly. Before I got these speakers I only watched movies, but now I listen to quite a lot of movie scores and classical music. I know if I had not bought this system I would have never had the pleasure of understanding what music can do for you. As I said before, it has been almost 6 years and I still can get goosebumps from listening to music or an emotional scene in a movie. I hear it said all the time that audio is half of the experience. I have come to realize that great audio adds to the experience more than great video. I can easily say that my experience in my home built theater is much more engaging than going to the theater itself. I remember hoping that I wouldn't feel like I spent too much money on speakers after I had them for a while. For the amount of enjoyment this purchase have given me, I can without a doubt say, " This was the best purchase I ever made! "
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/21/11 09:20 AM
I have some Red Wing fleece slippers that I couldn't live without.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/21/11 11:59 AM
My cat has a favorite toy mouse that she loves to chew on.

I'll second the speaker issue. It's been about 1 1/2 years for me and I get a lot of use out of them. I've had my car for 13 years and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Let's see.. my house for, never mind, that cost too much for this evaluation.
Posted By: Philippe Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/21/11 01:15 PM
Have a dedicated place in our house is indeed a great thing. I am glad you enjoy your Axiom speaker.
Posted By: INANE Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/22/11 03:34 AM
My speakers just make me spend money on remodels for HT... which leads to larger spaces which has led me to wanting to upgrade my speakers (to floor standing)!
Posted By: snazzed Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/26/11 03:38 AM
Agreed! I can't believe how much more easily I get "sucked in" to movies and TV shows now.

Other side of the coin, I have a friend who comes over for movies now and then and he says he can't tell the difference. DRIVES ME NUTS! He uses his Built-Ins on is Samsung TV

GAH!

snazzed

Edit: In retrospect, maybe he says that TO drive me nuts...
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/26/11 03:44 AM
I have a similar friend. He really can't hear the difference. I think some people ar just like that.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/26/11 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Lampaxiom
I have some Red Wing fleece slippers that I couldn't live without.

Gee. I think there's definitley an 'Imelda' thing goin' on here.
Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/26/11 02:54 PM
I love how you put worth into perspective.

I have other hobbies aside from home theater electronics but, like you, I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching movies and getting immersed in the sound and video. That is why I spend so much time and energy researching products and spending a lot of money on gear. Always looking for the next upgrade, or even a piece of gear I probably don't need but really want.
Posted By: grunt Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/28/11 03:30 PM
An eMachines T3062 w/keyboard, mouse, monitor for about $250 in 2003. Upgraded with PCI video card and 500GB HD I spent a total of about $400 on it.

It’s been my primary day to day computer ever since, surfing with it right now. Runs 24/7 and is always downloading something. Only time it’s not used is if I’m overseas for more than a week.

I mention it because one of the hard drives is making noise so I’m backing up all the data not already archived.

Not often a computer stays viable for 8 years for people like us (upgraditis).
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/28/11 03:39 PM
I usually keep my computers for 5 years on average. I've only had 4 different machines at home since 1991.

Of course, on average they each cost $7500.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/28/11 03:46 PM
My last 2 cost me $2000 each. One was a high end notebook that went kaput after 2 years, the other I build myself from parts ordered from newegg.com. It's almost 2 years old, it's fast and haven't experienced any problems with it yet.
Posted By: rvrrat Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/28/11 04:13 PM
When you build your computer with good parts they will last a long time. I am running a machine I built with parts from Newegg over 8 years ago. Just upgraded hard drive to SSD. That was a nice little speed injection that should keep me going a while longer.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/28/11 04:47 PM
The magic-jack (VOIP)is pretty good. If you have an old pc you can leave powered up all the time and don’t use it for anything else, it's a pretty good deal. I don’t recommend it if you have to plugged it in on a computer you actually use, lots of ads(spam); also, if you’re paranoid about a thirdParty tracking phone usage. I used Vonage for quite a while, it’s more reliable but way overpriced.
Posted By: Murph Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/28/11 05:14 PM
Boooo Hissss Booooo.
Sorry, Telco. employee here. Actually, this doesn't bother me a bit. Competition keeps us all innovative.
Posted By: grunt Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/28/11 05:29 PM
I should mention a more recent computer purchase that may turn out to be the best I’ve ever made.

Just got a Vertical Mouse last week because of the standard one causing me intense forearm pain while lifting weights. So far no sign of any pain and the increased functionality of four finger buttons, 3-buttons +scroll wheel, and the two thumb buttons is a nice improvement over my old standard 2-button +scroll wheel mouse. It’s taken some getting use to but now there is no way I will ever go back to a standard mouse.

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/29/11 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: grunt
Just got a Vertical Mouse last week because of the standard one causing me intense forearm pain while lifting weights.

Can you believe this was the first time I heard of a vertical mouse! They look real comfortable! I'm going to try one sooner than later!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/29/11 04:40 PM
Same here. Vertical mouse looks good. Looks like the cost is 89.95 from ergodepot.com for an Evoluent Wireless Vertical Mouse.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/29/11 04:45 PM
My problem with vertical mice (and this may well have improved) is that they're invariably by niche manufacturers (or manufacturers who don't normally do mice, like 3M), so they're using old tech (ie, roller ball, PS/2 connections, etc.) and they have non-standard drivers.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/29/11 04:45 PM
I like parenthetical statements.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/29/11 04:49 PM
My problem with vertical mice is about the only time I see them walking around is when I've had a bit too much to drink.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/29/11 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I like parenthetical statements.

That's because you have childheticals.
Posted By: grunt Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 03/29/11 06:15 PM
This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Evoluent-Vertical-...1889&sr=1-2

I’ve only had two issues using it. To long of a USB connection causing tracking to be intermittent. I had switched to using my old mouse right handed which required an additional 6 foot extension on top of the KVM switch. Connecting directly to the KVM switch solved this. The other issue was the mouse loosing focus/and power sometimes when the screen saver kicked in for an extended period. I’m sure this is related to the un-powered KVM switch I’m using. Just turned off the screen saver and no more problems with this. Note that the instructions do specifically say that it may not play nice with un-powered USB hubs.

No driver issues that I’ve noticed so far. Pretty good functionality is programmable. Thumb buttons can be selected to allow keyboard functions so you don’t need two hands. Cursor speed can be changed on the fly. Most important of all zero forearm pain.
Posted By: INANE Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 03:10 AM
I just picked up a Viewsonic gTablet from WOOT.COM for $285 shipped. This thing is awesome (after loading a custom ROM), definitely one of the best things I've bought in a while.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 05:31 AM
I went to my local Best Buy to pick up an Ipad2. They were out. I saw this little Toshiba NB505, 10.1" screen, 1GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, wifi, ethernet, USB, $279. It's blue. It's not uber cool like the IPAD, but, it is functional and cheap.

Posted By: Murph Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 11:47 AM
aaannnnnd it's Blue!!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 11:50 AM
Only one problem. It's not an Ipad.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 02:05 PM
But it's good you're not buying something because it's uber cool. Conformity, status, and an image is for the weak.
Posted By: CV Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 05:49 PM
Denying yourself something you want because you're afraid people will think you're too concerned with image would also be weak. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. My advice is to steal a broken iPad 2. Confusing people is your only hope.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 05:55 PM
You suffer deeply from "conformity ignorance", Cam. Conformity ignorance is extremely common on the internet, and is an easy trap to fall in to, so let me define it for you. Basically, it's when you form (and share) an opinion on a product based solely on popular (or, at least, popular among a vocal minority) views of that product without having any personal experience with said product. In fact, the less experience conformity ignoramuses have on a product, the more vocal their panning seems to be.

A conformity ignoramus takes comfort in the fact that s/he is not the only one with that opinion, trusting that someone must have formed it based on experience. This is a poor assumption, but even if it is true, why should anybody base their opinions on a product that is so subject to personal tastes?

Have you considered the possibility that the reason the iPad is so popular could have something to do with the huge amount of work and refinement that went into its design? I have a feeling if you were able to set your anti-Apple bias aside and try out an iPad for yourself, you'd actually find it quite wonferful.

I kinda take it personally that my taste in computing products gets chalked up to conformity, status, and/or image.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 05:57 PM
What Peter said. I don't use Apple products as a status symbol. Christ, have you guys SEEN me? Do I look like a hipster? I use them because I like how they work, how they're put together. I call the "I hate Apple because they suck and I hate them" type anti-bois.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 06:09 PM
The Ipad has the most incredible user interface features I have ever seen. However, it does not have USB interface, it has no keyboard and it requires a service contract with a cell phone provider for full utility.

Although I think the Ipad is the single coolest personal data device I've ever seen, I think the hidden costs and utility limitations made the much less expensive Toshiba notebook a better choice for me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 06:18 PM
Hey, if it works for you, more power to you. I certainly don't use my iPad as a primary portable device; I use a laptop.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 06:24 PM
Me too. I went shopping to pick up an ipad. I ended up with a wee notebook instead of an ipad. I can't put it in a pocket, but I don't think the ipad will fit either.

Different strokes for different folks. When I compared functionality and price I realized that the notebook had a serious price advantage, a substantial functionality advantage and a profound coolness deficit. For me, an ipad would be like jewelry, much beauty limited functionality ... and I'm just a modest kind of guy. ... but I feel a pang when I see an ipad. Desire ... yes. Covetousness ... no!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 06:28 PM
I have found that I don't need the 3G functionality. Although my iPad is a 3G model, I've never used the feature. There's plenty of wifi out there.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Denying yourself something you want because you're afraid people will think you're too concerned with image would also be weak. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. My advice is to steal a broken iPad 2. Confusing people is your only hope.

Charles, I was pointing out that it is weak to buy something if YOU feel that it makes YOU cool. As I've said on this forum in the past; there is a huge "cool factor" (predominantly amongst's the younger generation) with apple products (among other things), but there are others that don't fall into this category-Peter et.at.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 07:45 PM
I would wager that most people carrying an iPad don't fall into that category.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 08:28 PM
Peter, your diagnosis is unfortunately false. To expand on my reply to Charles, never once have I said anything on this forum or to anyone I know, that apple products aren't good products. Aside from a couple of jokes here and there, the only thing that I've mentioned about the performance is the fact that you couldn't make phone calls with your left hand when using the early third generation iPhones.

And yes, I know very well that some of the popularity of Apple products is due to the fact that they are very well designed and functional. I actually just had a conversation with one of my new caregivers a couple weeks ago, and I told her that I can appreciate that Apple products are solid products. I have also used my friend, Ian's, Iphone, and don't have any complaints about its functionality. Although I do think my Galaxy S is better in some aspects.

Something that may come as a surprise, is that I actually supported my sister in her purchase of an Apple laptop. She knows very little about computers, and asked for my assistants. As a result, I suggested Toshiba and Apple. She subsequently chose an iMac Pro, and I've used it a couple times and liked it. I've also recommended Apple laptops to other people when questioned. And, if I ever had the need for a laptop, which I can't foresee, it would be a choice between the two aforementioned brands.

And as I mentioned to Charles-in a previous discussion on the forum, I actually specifically stated that you and Ken would use them for their functionality, rather than to be cool. Just as many others on the forum would.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Limited Less
She knows very little about computers, and asked for my assistants

Do your assistants know more about computers than you do? :P

You know what? I might ask for one of your assistants some day.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 08:51 PM
I would wager that most people carrying an iPad don't fall into that category.

That is fair enough. I honestly don't know anyone that has one.

But, Ken, you'd be surprised how many people that have purchased an iPhone blindly. When Ian purchased his iPhone, he gave me a call. Now, this is a 34 year old mature man, and we never talk on the phone. When I picked up the phone, I was really surprised to hear his voice, and after saying hello, I asked him what's new, and no word of a lie, his reply verbatim was "not much, I'm just calling you from my new iPhone". He actually ended up reiterating it again. This was a year ago, and other then a call to wish me a happy birthday, we haven't talked on the phone since. We hang out in person instead.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 08:53 PM
Ooh, 1 case! That must make it a reality across the board. Maybe he was excited about it? Is that so awful?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Originally Posted By: Limited Less
She knows very little about computers, and asked for my assistants

Do your assistants know more about computers than you do? :P

You know what? I might ask for one of your assistants some day.

smile

Voice program blunder, and poor proofreading on my part.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 09:07 PM
HA! Hard to make fun of the guy who uses voice dictation for typos.
Posted By: INANE Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
The Ipad has the most incredible user interface features I have ever seen.

Really?

laugh
Posted By: Hansang Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 10:40 PM
To me, IPad is a "so-so" device. It's a nice gaming system, but very pricey (from a gaming standpoint). It's not really a productivity tool because of the lack of keyboard/applications. It'll do in a pinch, but nothing long term.

You can't read it as a ereader because the LCD hurts your eyes and is too heavy (Kindle is *SO* much better as a reader).

It has a nice interface, but not "out of this world" good.

So for me, it's just OK, but nothing to get too worked up about.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 10:59 PM
HA! Hard to make fun of the guy who uses voice dictation for typos.

Ummmmmmm, what?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 11:04 PM
I was laughing at Peter there.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/05/11 11:05 PM
smile
Posted By: Murph Re: Best purchases I have ever made! - 04/06/11 02:23 PM
I used to make fun of some of my Apple buddies who knew not to take me too seriously. I may even have done so here, but again, hopefully in a funny way that was meant as humor, not as serious critique.

If you ask me my true personal opinion, I will say this. Apple = great products and lead on being able to market on innovation but I believe they are overpriced.

I myself own an Ipod Touch. I use my MP3 players a lot and being the first touch interface player, it appealed almost overbearingly to my love of gadgets. When an app was announced to control my Squeezbox via the touch interface, that was the justification my brain needed and I payed the premium even though my previous MP3 player really did everything I needed it to do.

I/we now also own an IPad. Again, I hesitated at the price but then I realized that it was perfect for my wife. She wanted only to email, Facebook and browse the web. Had I bought her a cheaper but painfully slow to boot up netbook, she would never have used it. Because it is readily available, she now finds excuses to look things up. Actors names during movies, weather checks, news at breakfast, recipes, cloths shopping, etc. Also, compared to windows, there is virtually nothing she can accidentally misconfigure or break. Saving me lots of "Honey, how do I get this back?" time.

However, she does curse the thing regularly for not supporting Flash. Even some of her favorite cloths browsing shopping sites do not work without it. Although, for me, this may be a bonus and has factored nicely into it's ROI.

Also, the recent excuse of a multi-tasking feature is very poor and an obvious quick fix to consumer demand. It works but I expected more from Apple.

My best attempt at a non-biased opinion. There is definitely good and bad.

As for the Mac cool factor, I can see both sides of the argument. I can see why someone who made a logical choice based on their needs and preferences would be upset at being lumped in as a fan boy, but also to Cam's point, I have opened up my very 'corporately blah' looking HP laptop in the 'hipper' coffee shops and noticed the look of disdain from the white sea of Apple users. I'm surethese judgmental folk are but a small minority but they are a visible minority.

It used to be that Universal Acceptance was part of being the cool, new, young generation but like all things cultural, what starts as out one way, always tends to slide to the extremes of the spectrum. Both ends.
© Axiom Message Boards