Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 03/22/11 06:01 AM
Mitsubishi drops LCD HDTVs to focus on 73-inch and above sized displays (Engadget)

Good idea. I just hope they start pushing the LaserVue TVs a lot and get the price down. If they can approach 90" with a LaserVue TV, I may get over my front projector lust. A TV is always easier.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 03/22/11 11:50 AM
Wouldn't that thing be energy hungry though?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 03/22/11 01:36 PM
Their LaserVue TVs are very energy efficient.
Posted By: INANE Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 03/22/11 02:23 PM
It's kinda sad to see a former giant in the industry down scale like this, but someone had to see the untapped market of affordable giant sized TVs.
Posted By: autoboy Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 03/22/11 11:51 PM
Giant rear projection is a great way to go. You don't need complete light control in your room, but you can still go really big.

There are a few issues though. Their big TV's don't have very good off angle viewing and seem to have a pretty narrow sweet spot, Black levels haven't been very good, and the screen uniformity isn't very good. But, overall, a 90" TV would be a great alternative to a front projector for a lot of folks.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 03/23/11 01:02 AM
Makes it kinda difficult to mount the speakers behind the screen, though, for people like me that will have limited room in the HT.
Posted By: CV Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/04/11 04:10 AM
I still want their LaserVues to be cheaper, but at least they haven't abandoned them.

Mitsubishi officially prices 2011 HDTVs including a 92-inch DLP and 75-inch LaserVue (Engadget)
Posted By: Zarak Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/04/11 06:47 PM
I'm glad someone is sticking with DLP still as well. 73" for $1600 isn't bad, but when you get to the 90+ inch size why spend 5-6k when you can just get a front projector. Unless you have no options for light control in your room, I wouldn't want anything other than FP this big.
Posted By: INANE Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/04/11 09:01 PM
Giant RPTV's still have a small nitch I think. Some people just wouldn't want to mess around with setting up front projection.
Posted By: CV Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/05/11 12:37 AM
Yeah, I know I want to go front projection, but I'm still waiting on the right one. It would be nice to see one based on the LaserVue tech. I still don't look forward to all of the associated effort and costs of going with front projection.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/05/11 07:55 AM
i have a benq projector, and for 5 years, which was my only display.

Now i am using a mitsubishi 60in DLP. my projector screen was 135" so this is a pretty big downsize for me. However, with TV and not having to black out the room is nice. my next display will either be a plasma, or another mitsubishi rear projection tv..

I think that if i have a dedicated HT room in the future, i will use the projector again, if i don't then a rear projection is the best inch/$.
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/05/11 04:30 PM
Weird. I've been seriously considering the 82 inch DLP Mitsu as a living room alternative to a projector.

And oddly enough, I was gonna ask all of youse advice on it!

They (Mitsu), seem to be the only ones using this old, but tried technology (I like my movies like my ego... BIG!).

And at this price, how can I not?

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-8273...0975&sr=1-6

Anyone want to talk me down?

The price has dropped significantly since I first started lusting after it about two months ago...

Is the biggest "con" bulb replacement? I would use it only to watch movies.

Trashy and depraved exploitation films that most normal people would find weird and disturbing. Mostly from the 70's and usually Italian in origin... grin
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/05/11 04:40 PM
Here's one of the reasons I want to have a giant screen to viddy movies on...

The unreasonably lovely Edwige Fenech, the ultimate Euro-babe of Italian horror and grindhouse cinema...

Can I haz 82 inches of this pleeze? blush
Posted By: casey01 Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/05/11 07:21 PM
In the case of the demise of RP DLP sets it just shows when it comes to the price/performance relationship, the consumer can get fooled as to what is the best performance for their money. LCD's predominated and took over the market in this area because the customer was sold on the idea of really thin televisions, something DLP technology couldn't provide.

The problem is, for similar performance, DLP was much better value especially in the larger size monitors. Too bad, except for Mitsubishi, who are now the only manufacturer selling this technology(and strictly in the US only), other than FP, it is sadly, pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur.
Posted By: CV Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/05/11 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: audiosavant
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-8273...0975&sr=1-6

Anyone want to talk me down?

The price has dropped significantly since I first started lusting after it about two months ago...

Is the biggest "con" bulb replacement? I would use it only to watch movies.

I won't talk you down because I've toyed with getting a DLP TV just to have a newer TV until the front projector technology I want matures. That's one of the models I've considered, though I haven't kept up on them lately.

Besides bulb replacement, it seems fan noise could be an issue with different models, but I don't know about that model in particular. I think that would get on my nerves if it contributed much audible noise, but I'll have the same issue when I go with front projection.

You should get one so I can live through you.
Posted By: INANE Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/08/11 04:35 PM
I to think there isn't much downside in going DLP. If you want giant sized and it doesn't need to hang on the wall, that's the way to go IMO.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/08/11 06:48 PM
I dunno. I'm tired of my DLP. It's blacks aren't good and the picture has no brightness or punch when desired.

I'm ready not only for a different TV, but different technology.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/08/11 06:53 PM
I think the new technology is called "CRT."
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/08/11 09:18 PM
I almost wish it was.

Deep blacks, shadow detail and "punch when desired".

Sounds pretty good until you have to haul it up or down the stairs.
Posted By: CV Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/09/11 03:55 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I dunno. I'm tired of my DLP. It's blacks aren't good and the picture has no brightness or punch when desired.

I'm ready not only for a different TV, but different technology.

I like the DLP picture at the cinema, but I don't know the state of DLP in home setups. I'd still love to see a LaserVue.
Posted By: Micah Re: Mitsubishi leaving LCD TV market - 06/09/11 04:13 AM
Originally Posted By: audiosavant
Here's one of the reasons I want to have a giant screen to viddy movies on...

The unreasonably lovely Edwige Fenech, the ultimate Euro-babe of Italian horror and grindhouse cinema...

Can I haz 82 inches of this pleeze? blush

82 inches? Nah keep going up Terry! When you can see the reflection of the grip, director and camera crew in her eyes, then you know you've gone TOO BIG!
© Axiom Message Boards