Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Seekinganswers M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/12/11 07:01 PM
Hello,

I have read many times that the M80s are very comparable to Paradigm's Studio 100s and sound very similar. I was just curious, how much of an upgrade/difference would one get from upgrading from M80s to Paradigm's Signature 8s? Is the upgrade really worth the $6000 extra? I know it would not be $6000 extra worth of speaker or omg blows M80 out of the water. I just want to hear from those who may have auditioned or maybe even owned S8s and to give their experience.
Posted By: Philippe Re: M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/13/11 12:15 AM
The answer is no.
Anyway at this price range (Signature 8s), there is a lot of speaker on the list.
Posted By: billy p Re: M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/13/11 12:44 AM
Axiom forum or not...I'd dearly love to own any speaker from the sig line.
Posted By: casey01 Re: M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/13/11 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Seekinganswers
Hello,

I have read many times that the M80s are very comparable to Paradigm's Studio 100s and sound very similar. I was just curious, how much of an upgrade/difference would one get from upgrading from M80s to Paradigm's Signature 8s? Is the upgrade really worth the $6000 extra? I know it would not be $6000 extra worth of speaker or omg blows M80 out of the water. I just want to hear from those who may have auditioned or maybe even owned S8s and to give their experience.

I have auditioned the two and the sound is quite comparable. Nothing blows anything out of the water here. I honestly believe that all too often when one is looking at floor-standing full range speakers and making comparisons, in this case much of that substantial extra charge comes from the aesthetics and the cabinetry which figures a lot in to the price of the speaker. No doubt the Paradigm S8s might look aesthetically more impressive than the M80s but that doesn't necessarily translate in to superior sound.

If one is interested in better looking cabinetry then order the "real wood" Vasallo series in your choice of finish and you will still have spent considerably less money and have a comparable sounding speaker.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/14/11 01:12 AM
To pay that much more for the S8's is insane.
Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/14/11 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: jakewash
To pay that much more for the S8's is insane.

Haha, dang, it's like that? How much do you all thing the S8s are actually worth in the big scheme of things?
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/14/11 02:01 AM
They are a very beautiful looking and sounding speaker, how much they are worth is up to each individual to decide; cost of diminishing returns and all that.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M80s as reference for Paradigm S8 - 04/14/11 07:29 PM
I agree with the cat with the migraine.
© Axiom Message Boards