Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiom_man Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/09/11 09:09 PM
wonder how good these are.
You would think if the centre of the front they would be better than two subs.
Martin Logan has Depth and Decent 1 and 2
Paradigm from review Sub 2 is the second coming of ........ and Sub 1 is not far behind. But, Sub 2 is $8000 cdn, and Sub 1 is $4000.
Sub 2 is 9000w peak on 240v and 4500 nominal.

Just really curious how these are with home theatre Martin Logans Depth 2 has six 10" drivers on two amps, with more surface area than a 18".
Posted By: fhw Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/10/11 02:04 AM
Just noticed you're from Bridgewater...great town, beautiful part of the country when you add Mahone Bay and Lunenburg into the mix. I used to work weekends at South Shore Regional Hospital in a previous life.

I haven't heard the Descents, but I suspect with Martin Logan you'd be paying more for the name (and the finish) if it's home theater impact you're after. Don't get me wrong--their electrostatic towers are out-of-this-world for hologram-like imaging and sound (at $$$$$ a pop, they'd better be).

If you're looking for home theater performance, the old standby companies for subs are your best bet. I bought an SVS PB12+/2 just before Axiom came out with the EP500/600 series (the 600 would have been my preference in horizontal, but c'est la vie)...the thing shakes the holy h*ll out of my walls, and I have a big basement. I'd wager any of them to move as much air as you could ever want.
HI
yes, it is a nice spot, but not so nice lately with this 24/7 rain lol
yeh, I wondered about that too and also, where is it that my ears would really notice a difference.
I may try for the HOI a DIY, in a few different configurations.
However I may just go with a couple EP500 or 600 my room is only going to be 2300 sq ft
Posted By: bdpf Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/10/11 02:45 PM
I heard the entry level electrostatic towers and at double the price of the M80s, I wasn't impressed.
As for the sub, I agree. If you want to go away from Axiom for the subs, offerings from the typical HSU, SVS, ED and the likes are typically the best bang for the buck. However, for Canada, unless you can get somebody to bring it from the US, once you include the shipping cost, not as much.
those electro statics are like $22,000 and that ain't happening. No I am not interested in anything other than what those subs sound like. There $2700 here in Canada.
The only thing I would be possibly interested in would be a SVS Ultra 13, $1800 in Canada they have a dealer here now. HSU, doesn't but landed costs where about $300 higher. The Emotiva gear is about $200 more landed cost duties and brokers fees and shipping. I had a amp or two quoted a month or two ago. The UPA2 was $529 US total. Actualy that is about $505 CDN now ;))

I am pretty sure it is going to be two EP500's unless a verticle EP800 is better in the front centre below the screen
Posted By: cb919 Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/10/11 10:35 PM
I am familiar with the PC Ultra 13 - great sub. However I would also be very interested to hear how the Paradigm Sub 1 would compare. If I had the spare coin I would buy one for the design - assuming it sounded as good as it looks (& costs)!
I absolutely love my PB13 Ultra and I can only imagine what the new design/amp will do for the performance considering what the new PB12s new design has done for it.
Posted By: CV Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/11/11 04:06 AM
Originally Posted By: axiom_man
I am pretty sure it is going to be two EP500's unless a verticle EP800 is better in the front centre below the screen

You have room for a vertical EP800 below the screen? I want your ceiling height.
lol Horizontal
Never heard the paradigm but I am not impressed. Like everything in audio its all about trade-offs. Super, super inefficient and the 240v line will be unreasonable for a lot of people. As for performance, there is nothing ground breaking here.
I'd get a LMS build wrapped all up in a custom, furniture grade cabinet at a 1/4 of the cost any day.
Originally Posted By: bdpf
I heard the entry level electrostatic towers and at double the price of the M80s, I wasn't impressed.
As for the sub, I agree. If you want to go away from Axiom for the subs, offerings from the typical HSU, SVS, ED and the likes are typically the best bang for the buck. However, for Canada, unless you can get somebody to bring it from the US, once you include the shipping cost, not as much.

"Sonic Boom Audio" (AKA "Electronics for Less")located in Richmond Hill(just north of Toronto) has been around for a number of years selling specifically the SVS line. Interesting to note, until recently, the Can. prices vis-a-vis US was quite a bit higher. I happened to make a comparison just the other day and I see the gap between the prices has closed quite a bit. Take in to account the shipping costs and other stuff, it is now pretty comparable. With respect to the dollar differential, it seems they have finally come to their senses.

Interesting to note though, that the Can . price on any of the Axiom line is now LESS than the US.
Posted By: fhw Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/13/11 07:34 PM
Seeing as how our dollar is above par and shipping is cheaper, I would hope Axiom prices would be less for those of us in the Great White North!
Do they still adjust their prices? I know they use to publicize when they did, but unfortunately don't anymore AFAIK.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/13/11 09:35 PM
Probably because everyone jumped all over them when they did.
Yep, I concur, Ken smile .

Rick, what about you....?
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Do they still adjust their prices? I know they use to publicize when they did, but unfortunately don't anymore AFAIK.

Even with the dollar above par for awhile now, Axiom's prices have remained pretty much equal to the US. I noticed only in recent weeks that prices were now, without fanfare, adjusted below the US price, and rightly so. Give them credit though, at least they do it. The other major Canadian speaker companies that sell through retailers like Paradigm and PSB, don't seem to be as accommodating.
Posted By: Wid Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/14/11 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Yep, I concur, Ken smile .

Rick, what about you....?

I suppose I do smile
Yeah, buddy!
Posted By: Murph Re: Has anyone heard one of those Octagon subs - 05/16/11 07:20 PM
Hey, I concur too !!!
Sweeeeeet, pal smile !
© Axiom Message Boards