Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Marantz and m80's? - 07/08/11 09:06 PM
How does marantz typically do with the m80's?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/08/11 09:06 PM
Well, generally you hook up a source, then the receiver amplifies the sign... what? oh.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/08/11 09:15 PM
But seriously, what I've heard is that Marantzes handle the M80s just fine.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/08/11 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
How does marantz typically do with the m80's?

It really depends on a variety of factors. How loud, how far a listening distance, pre-amp settings, source material, what other speakers are hooked up to a receiver? There are several conditions and a combination of which can lead to shutdown with the M80's.

Any receiver can power any speaker if you listen at lower to moderate levels in a small to medium sized room. The Marantz will be fine under those conditions. It is during loud and sustained listening sessions and perhaps demanding source material where you might run into problems. This is the same with every receiver brand.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/08/11 09:26 PM
Marantz is made by the same company as Denon and I suspect you would find some similar components inside. I would be surprised if a Marantz couldn't handle M80s just as well as a Dneon.

I have always thought of Marantz as an upscale Denon, kind of like what Acura is to Honda.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/08/11 10:39 PM
That was my impression to Jason. I haven't heard of any problems with Marantz/m80 combinations but figured I'd ask.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/09/11 01:19 AM
David, I view Marantz as a somewhat over-priced Denon, but it does just as well with M80s and other speakers as other similar receivers of the major manufacturers. Those anywhere in the 100 watt area can certainly drive the M80s to very high listening levels at typical listening distances.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/09/11 01:54 AM
Meant "too" in the above post. I think the denon 3312 looks like an excellent receiver.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/09/11 02:50 AM
Sure it is, but the 3311 is essentially identical and the factory refurb is available at eCost for $500.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/09/11 05:18 AM
I haven't noticed anything new on the '12s vs. the '11s to justify buying new, just keep in mind the 38XX series was replaced by the 43XX series, not sure if it means a whole lot but I suspect the circuitry is set up better in the 43XX and higher versions, again I am not sure if there is enough difference in quality of the components and layouts ie. P/S, caps etc. to justify the added cost Denon charges for the 43XX series.

John's suggested refurb at ecost looks to be a pretty good deal. I have used ecost before and the transaction went very smoothly.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/09/11 10:29 PM
Cool thanks for the tip on ecost.
Posted By: julian_y Re: Marantz and m80's? - 07/11/11 04:35 AM
I am not quite sure about the latest model but even Marantz's 7005 is using only one DSP and one DAC which is unacceptable for an expensive model.

If you are using your system for lossless audio like DTSHD, Dolby HD or PCM, DSP and DAC are no less important than watts for receivers, which influence the sound quality of your speakers.
© Axiom Message Boards