Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rjxox Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 03:51 AM

Hi everyone,

Recently purchased a home theatre system the Epic 80 with VP 180 for centre channel. we just puchased an acreage and im having problems figuring out how to mount the centre channel and the tv. We have a 53" plasma. I would like to mount the tv and the centre above the mantle for the fireplace but im thinking the vp180 is too large. We are willing to change the mantle around if needed. I apologize that i do not know how to post pictures but you can see the fireplace here. http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyPhotos.aspx?propertyID=10929674&PhotoNum=34

To the right of the window is the kitchen so we can not mount the tv there. I suggested to my wife we mount the tv in front of the window but of course she says no. If we mount the tv on the wall to left of the fireplace i will get too much reflection from the large window. Should i just buy a smaller centre?

Thx for the help
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 03:58 AM
You do know how deep the VP180 is, right? The thing is HUGE. And most of the weight is on the front; you don't want to support that with a mantle sitting on top of 4 inches of brick or whatever.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 04:01 AM
Nice looking yard! Why not use the basement? If the basement is off limits I vote for putting the tv in front of the window and just close the window up with heavy curtains when in use. Maybe you can convince the wife?
Posted By: rjxox Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 04:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
You do know how deep the VP180 is, right? The thing is HUGE. And most of the weight is on the front; you don't want to support that with a mantle sitting on top of 4 inches of brick or whatever.

Yes i have one now. I was thinking i would need a special mount. Perhaps use the Vp180 as the mantle lol.

Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Nice looking yard! Why not use the basement? If the basement is off limits I vote for putting the tv in front of the window and just close the window up with heavy curtains when in use. Maybe you can convince the wife?

My thought was the basement as well. Just after renovations the living room will be huge and seems like a waste if we do not set up the home theatre in it as well. In front of the window seems like the best place to me but perhaps the wife is right. It may appear ugly.

Thank both of you for the quick reply.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 04:52 AM
I was actually thinking that maybe you could put up a shelf with sturdy supports to hold it up. Not sure where it would go, but there we are...
You're going to get neck strain looking at the TV high above the fireplace like that!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 11:00 AM
Is that a gas fireplace or real log burning? Maybe you could mount the speaker below the mantel somehow. Possibly anchor it into the bricks or whatever is behind the bricks? It is very heavy as you know.

Another option is to someday as money allows, put togethor a smaller home theater upstairs using bookshelfs and use the 180 downstairs.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 11:57 AM
I second the idea of not mounting it on the fireplace. I visited someone that had one mounted like this and I never want to go back there again.

If you don't have a stand for the VP180 to mount under the tv, then I would revert back to a VP150. I'm using an in/on wall VP150 with good results. I would use the On wall version, if I couldn't mount it in the wall, like I have it.
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
If you don't have a stand for the VP180 to mount under the tv, then I would revert back to a VP150.

Or maybe just use a phantom center (no speaker at all).

I don't see a VP180 working if the TV is going on the fireplace.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 04:26 PM
I visited someone that had one mounted like this and I never want to go back there again.

You have strange requirements for friendship.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I visited someone that had one mounted like this and I never want to go back there again.

You have strange requirements for friendship.

I left out the last part "... to watch movies at their house, because it was very uncomfortable."
Yeah, if there's going to be mounting, you need to be comfortable.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 06:12 PM
It would seem that no matter what, the VP180 and its location may turn out to be an insurmountable problem. What could be another alternative and if you are still within the thirty day return period of this recent purchase, you could replace the VP180 with one or two M2s or M3s as your center channel, especially if the mantle is your only option. This will give you somewhat more flexibility for placement without most of the weight and size issues to deal with.

I myself, have always preferred this setup since, in my opinion, the sound is more natural with better dispersion than any horizontal model.
Posted By: CV Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 06:12 PM
The safe word needs to be clearly intelligible?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/25/11 11:34 PM
i say pave over the fire place... and then get a stand for the 180, then mount the plasma at 48ish inches...

problem solved......
Posted By: rjxox Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/26/11 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
Is that a gas fireplace or real log burning? Maybe you could mount the speaker below the mantel somehow. Possibly anchor it into the bricks or whatever is behind the bricks? It is very heavy as you know.

Another option is to someday as money allows, put togethor a smaller home theater upstairs using bookshelfs and use the 180 downstairs.

Real wood. I was thinking of lowering the mantle or replacing the mantle. Either way im starting to agree the 180 is just too large to put up there. Im just worried i will never be happy with the sound from anything but the 180.

Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
If you don't have a stand for the VP180 to mount under the tv, then I would revert back to a VP150.

Or maybe just use a phantom center (no speaker at all).

I don't see a VP180 working if the TV is going on the fireplace.

Perhaps i should use a couple book shelf speakers with the tv no surround upstairs. Its going to be a nice huge living room just seems like a waste. However it will be more child proof in the basement.
Posted By: rjxox Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/26/11 12:36 AM
Originally Posted By: casey01
It would seem that no matter what, the VP180 and its location may turn out to be an insurmountable problem. What could be another alternative and if you are still within the thirty day return period of this recent purchase, you could replace the VP180 with one or two M2s or M3s as your center channel, especially if the mantle is your only option. This will give you somewhat more flexibility for placement without most of the weight and size issues to deal with.

I myself, have always preferred this setup since, in my opinion, the sound is more natural with better dispersion than any horizontal model.

Another good suggestion
Posted By: JohnK Re: Trouble deciding on layout due to VP180 - 07/26/11 01:44 AM
Ditto Casey.
© Axiom Message Boards