Axiom Home Page
Posted By: da-drifter EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/03/11 12:27 PM
More questions,

1. What should the physical setting initally be on the back of my EP800 for Audyssey setup? Currently have, volume at 50%, phase 180, crossover 150, and the filter toggle switch on. Calibrating with this setup doubles my speaker distance.

I have read that the sub speaker distance is very important to Audyssey. Something about all the other speakers some how use it as a reference. My other speaker distances calibrate fine so I guess it's a timming thing with the sound waves.

2. Will manually adjusting distance or sound levels with the receiver permanently change the Audyssey calibration or make it inacurate? I'm using a Denon.
Thanks!

Posted By: terzaghi Re: EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/03/11 12:39 PM
I think Phase typically is left to 0 if sub is at front of room for initial setup. The setting you choose will always give an incorrect distance during auto set up- it is the dsp in the sub that is causing it. I've heard that you should leave the distance to what is listed during auto setup by some, others suggested changing it to actual distance. I can't recall how my ep500 is set right now, if you notice a strange delay in the lower frequencies you may need to adjust the distance. I'm not sure how this impacts audyssey as I don't use that feature of my receiver.

I'm sure someone more helpful will chime in soon
Posted By: terzaghi Re: EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/03/11 12:44 PM
Also, what did the denon set the sub channel level to with ep800 set to 50%? Goal is to have t set close to 0. "Crossover" at 150 on sub is appropriate, then set crossover for all speakers through denon to desired level. If you ran audyssey then I suggest reporting back what crossover values were selected for each speaker.

By the way, I wish I had an ep800!
Posted By: J. B. Re: EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/03/11 12:46 PM
there is a very detailed set of instructions you can dl on this page:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895
if you follow it to the letter, you should not have problems with the results.

also some good reading here, from Audyssey: http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq/tour

this Audyssey does wonders; it takes 10 minutes or so to calibrate your whole room/audio system, instead of days with the way i used to do it.

by the way, Audyssey checks for frequencies starting at 10Hz and up and you end up with flat response in the sub and at the same time phasing is adjusted.
i can qualify the results it has done for me as "silky smooth".
the only change i did after calibration was to use Audyssey "flat" instead of "Audyssey"; i was missing some recorded hall ambiance.

Audyssey uses lots more adjustment points in the sub frequencies than at higher frequencies, where usually most problems are found.

you can also find good instructions on the Audyssey site.
Posted By: da-drifter Re: EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/03/11 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info! My sub is still twice the distance but I'm just going to leave it as I have read.
Posted By: Jc Re: EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/03/11 04:21 PM
Hi,

Usually, the phase should be at the zero position when the subwoofer is on the same wall as your front array of speakers. If on the opposite wall than 180. However, try both settings; chances are it does not make a substantial difference. Select the position that gives you the bass which you judge better.

The filter toggle switch should be "OFF". It is "ON" only to eliminate turntable rumble bass or excessive and annoying bass on live broadcasts.
Posted By: J. B. Re: EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/03/11 05:22 PM
according to Audyssey, the phase control on the sub should always be set to 0 before calibration.
Audyssey will take care of all phasing.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP800 & Audyssey setup - 09/04/11 12:13 AM
drifter, it is ok if the distance is like "double" of the actual position. It has to do with delay in the DSP subs. My 350's come out exactly the distance as the other speakers, but my 600 has always been almost double the actual distance of actual.
© Axiom Message Boards