Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/09/11 06:22 PM
What is the best choice for in wall subwoofer cable? Just use any in wall coax cable and a wall plate with RCA connector?
Posted By: JohnK Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 02:08 AM
Sure, David; all that's necessary is a coaxial cable. There's no such thing as a special "subwoofer cable", although some sellers attach that label. Also, there's no need to get the thicker RG6 type cable; RG59 is fine.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 02:19 AM
I just got done enclosing my theater area from the rest of the recroom/bar area. I just ran some coax within the walls to the locations I wanted with the normal cable type wire ends, then found some modular plates at MENARDS (for Peter) and snap in connectors with F-Conn (Cable) on one end, and RCA on the other.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 05:18 AM
I am just using RG6 (it was the same price as the RG59) and wall plates with RCA connections on each side. All from MonoPrice. I do plan on securing the cable inside the wall to the wall plate probably with some good ol' silicone caulk.

I do like the ones that Randy mentions where you can get a secure connection in the wall and a standard RCA on the outside. I just didn't plan accordingly I guess. When you are buying 80 pounds of speaker wire, video cables, wall plates, etc, some details get overlooked.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 12:55 PM
Thanks. I only saw wall plates on monoprice wiith three RCA jacks per plate, will look further. Nick, were you able to find a wall plate with only 1 RCA jack?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 02:00 PM
I went with a single keystone wall plate and then added the corresponding keystone (in my case, I picked an orange RCA keystone...
Single empty keystone wall plate

Orange RCA to RCA keystone

Total cost was $1.26 for each wall plate/RCA keystone.

You can pick other colors too.
Posted By: cb919 Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 02:10 PM
Thanks for those links Nick. That helps me too as I need to cut some cables to reconfigure my home network but I have been procrastinating as I hate (i.e. suck at) putting new CAT5 ends on the cables. I saw in your link they make punch down CAT5 keystone connectors for those plates. I did not know those existed - punch down is easier than feeding all those %^*&&% tiny cables in the correct order into a connector...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 02:16 PM
sweet, thanks!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 02:34 PM
As Nick and I mentioned, they make modular (keystone) plugs that have RCA on the roomside, and F-type cable connector on the inside of the wall (more secure). I think if you look at Home Depot, Lowes, or MENARDS (for PeterB) you can find them.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: In wall subwoofer cable and wallplates? - 09/10/11 02:47 PM
Thanks. I think f type on inside would be preferred.
© Axiom Message Boards