Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bray Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/06/11 11:32 PM
Just ordered a Denon 2312 from Dakmart at 539.00.
Features look great, I just hope the order goes well.
The price seemed a little too good to be true.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/07/11 12:33 AM
Hope you enjoy your new toy!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/07/11 02:01 AM
Brady, Dakmart is a Denon authorized reseller for their refurbished units. Although their overall customer rating isn't the highest, they appear to handle their Denon sales very well, possibly out of concern for keeping their valued relationship with Denon. The 2312 is a fine unit.

Incidentally, a repeat of the belated birthday wishes you got in the Water Cooler thread.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/07/11 04:08 AM
I am sure your transaction will go with out a hitch, the most common thing I have heard about Dakmart is they sometimes oversell and run out of stock, but being an authorized dealer they receive stock quite frequently so the wait usually isn't too long.
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/07/11 04:36 PM
Received an email this morning that the unit has shipped.
That's encouraging anyway.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/07/11 06:16 PM
I've been looking at the 2312 as well, but I am waiting until I am closer to being done with my theater build. I will definitely have to check out that site when the time comes near.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/07/11 11:37 PM
Another site to look at for Denon is eCost.com I have had good luck with them.
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/08/11 03:41 AM
I looked at eCost also. They have good prices, just not much of a selection.
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/14/11 01:41 PM
"on truck, out for delivery"
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/14/11 01:53 PM
Windex is among the better cleaners for removing nose grease off of windows. smile
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/15/11 06:35 AM
Soooooooooooo?????????????????
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/15/11 12:32 PM
It's here waiting to be hooked up. Gotta run surround speaker wire 1st. I had hired a HT place to do it, but I guess he decided the job wasnt worth it to him or something.Not that I look forward to doing it, but if I quoted someone 325.00 for a for a job I wouldnt have stood them up. : /
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/16/11 03:59 AM
You're just a good days drive south of me, I'll come help if you can wait till I have my basement build completed in about a month or so.
Posted By: doormat Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/16/11 06:40 PM
Oh sure, I'm just a days drive north and you never offered to help me. cry
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/17/11 06:15 AM
But you are NORTH, it's always warmer going the other direction wink

Speaking of North, haven't seen Onn(Mel) here in awhile.....
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/17/11 05:14 PM
Got everything hooked up and going yesterday (took all day) and my first impressions are good. Ran the auto room calibration and everything sounds good.
A couple of issues (probably operator error).
1.No sound on sacd playback. The problem is probably in the settings, but I havent had a chance to look yet.
Unit says it's in multi channel playback mode, but there is zero sound.
2.When watching TV in HD I went to the channel guide, picked a new (hd) channel and the tv resolution went to 480p. I turned everything off then back on and that channel went to the correct 1080 p. When I went back to the guide, the same problem happened,the TV went back to 480p.The TV is set to auto when selecting resolution and this has never happend before the 2312 arrived.

Once I explore the menu a little more I'll probaly work out these issues, but any suggestions are welcome.
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/28/11 09:20 PM
OK....Still having problems with sacd playback.
I'm guessing that it is the bd/sacd player and not the avr.
When I put in a sacd and push play I see song selection and the play bar as if the song is playing. Just no sound. I let the sacd play and left the room and when I came back it is playing correctly.
I put in a different sacd and the same thing happened. After the disc goes through the 3rd or 4th song, I start getting sound. I can back up to the 1st track and hear the entire sacd correctly.
bd/sacd player is a sony less than a year old.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/29/11 01:07 AM
Brady, I don't believe that I've ever heard of a similar problem before, i.e., a delay of 10 minutes or so before the sound appears. It's almost as if the laser in the player which reads the SACD tracks(it operates at a different wavelength than for Blu-ray and CD)has developed a defect and needs to "warm-up" before it begins to lase, but again, I've not heard of such a thing.

I assume that you've tried the different audio settings in the player(e.g., PCM vs DSD)to see if somehow this has an effect, although time should make no difference in the effect that these settings have.
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/29/11 02:34 AM
I have not tried the PCM vs DCD but will tomorrow when I get a chance.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 10/29/11 07:47 PM
Brady - congrats on the Denon and a belated Happy B-day.

A note on Dakmart and ecost. Prices are great for the refurbs and I have purchased 5 Denon models over the years without issues. I lean towards Dakmart because they provide a 1 year warranty vs. 90 days for ecost.

Denon's are great units, but the manuals can be challenging. Let me suggest you check in at Batpig's site. He has WAY too much info on the nuances and vagaries of setting up Denon receivers, including a pretty extensive set up guide. Really worth looking at.

Also, I have a Denon 3808 (follow-on to a 3803) and a 1909 (follow-on to an 1803). I have taken the time over the years to make some pretty extensive notes that might be helpful to you. Lots of little problem solving snippets. Drop me a PM with your email address if you are interested.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 11/01/11 02:09 AM
Take Ray up on the note offer, he does have some key points in there smile
Posted By: Murph Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 11/01/11 12:08 PM
As someone who can honestly say that I had a car key jammed through the fleshy part between my thumb and index finger, I can tell you that key points are not always a good thing.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 11/02/11 06:07 AM
OK, how the heck did you manage that?

I was able to slice that area open cutting a pumpkin when I was 17. I could even see right into my hand, it took 10 stitches to close it up.
Posted By: Murph Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 11/02/11 01:47 PM
Ow!

I did it by goofing around of course. I was making fun of my buddy because he was choosing to go see "Message in a Bottle" with his wife instead of coming with us for a ski weekend with the boys. He pretended he was going to stab me in the stomach with his keys and my natural instinct was to block open handed to grab his hand. I got his hand alright but he had turned the key upwards so as to not really stab me in the stomach.

I didn't realize I was punctured right through until I was digging my thumb into the exact same place on his hand between the thumb and finger in order to make him drop the keys and then discovered that this was actually hurting me a lot more than I was hurting him.

Pretty funny actually.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 11/04/11 12:40 AM
Ow! back at you, I at least sliced my hand with a sharp knife, you had a fairly blunt object thrust through it, seems to me that would be more painfull.
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 11/13/11 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info Ray. When I get a chance to breath, I'm gonna try and catch up with ya on some questions if I cant find the answers on Batpigs site.
I did find out that the delay on the sacd playback has something to do with video switching (I think).
I noticed that the sacd starts playing at the point that the BD players "screen saver" comes on.
I still havent figured out how to fix it though : /
Thing is, after the screen saver comes on, when I backup to the biginning of the playlist and the screensaver goes away and back to the play menu screen, it doesnt effect the playback.
Posted By: bray Re: Denon AVR-2312 otw - 11/14/11 11:42 PM
breathe*
© Axiom Message Boards