Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Low Cost Multi-Zone Receiver ??? - 11/28/11 11:08 PM
My brother-in-law is looking for a good deal on a receiver that will output two different things to two different zones such as some A/V in zone 1, and internet audio in zone 2. I know that a number of inexpensive receivers have A/B zones, but I believe that they are EITHER A or B, but not A AND B playing 2 different things.

I've never been in the marker for something like this, so I don't even know what does and does not do something like that, or what the cost is.

He is looking for low cost since he just has a modest TV/speaker setup, but would love to have the ability to play two different audio sources at the same time to two different zones.

Any ideas?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Low Cost Multi-Zone Receiver ??? - 11/28/11 11:14 PM
I think just about everything that has a second zone can do it independently of the primary zone.

HOWEVER, there are no receivers AFAIK that will output a digital signal to the second zone.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Low Cost Multi-Zone Receiver ??? - 11/29/11 12:14 AM
My understanding though is if you have a 7.1 receiver, you can only do 5 channels if your using the other 2 in zone 2 at the same time. You would need a 9 channel receiver for 7 and 2 channels driving at the same time.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Low Cost Multi-Zone Receiver ??? - 11/29/11 12:38 AM
He doesn't even have a 5.1 setup, so the issue you mention Randy isn't an issue for him.

So multi-zone is more limited by the source then. So Zone 2 would need to be what, the radio maybe if it can't be digital?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Low Cost Multi-Zone Receiver ??? - 11/29/11 01:09 AM
Or hook up analog RCAs from the disc player to get at least the audio from that.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Low Cost Multi-Zone Receiver ??? - 11/29/11 01:51 AM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
He doesn't even have a 5.1 setup, so the issue you mention Randy isn't an issue for him.

So multi-zone is more limited by the source then. So Zone 2 would need to be what, the radio maybe if it can't be digital?

I hook up the analog outs from DVD/TV/PS3 so I can listen to music or the TV on my deck. With a good universal remote, it's not a problem. w/o a universal remote, it might require a bit more clicking.
J&R Computers. You can order through Amazon or Ebay. Axions recievers web pages has the specs and I guess sold them at one time.

Axiom support told me they can Drive M80s and it has good sound quality. Mutizone I believe.

They had 9 left when I ordered mine.
The only time I use my rear speakers is while watching movies, so I built a switch that I can use the send the rear amp signals to either the inside rear speakers for movies or the zone B Algonquin Outdoor Speakers to stream music while we are out by the pond.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Low Cost Multi-Zone Receiver ??? - 11/30/11 04:01 AM
Nick, the deal on the Sherwood 772 which aolo points out is probably as good an idea as any. Although it really wasn't very competitive at the original $799 list price, the close-out prices around $200 change that. The J&R price is now $199.99 with free shipping(the $175 might have been a Black Friday deal).
Bob, I'm curious why you "built a switch", since most 7.1 receivers, including the 3808, have a provision to switch the back surround channels from powering the back surrounds to powering stereo speakers in a separate zone, using the remote.
Okay, I see that you want to be able to do either 7.1 or the outside speakers without manually switching the wires at the terminals.
I saw an Onkyo TX-NR509 at Newegg for $199 today. That seemed good.
Dang JohnK For a minute there I thought you were trying to tell me that my remote can remotely switch those wires at the terminals. I was really excited by that prospect. Yes the switch makes the process of changing the terminals much easier than trying to get to the back of the reciever everytime. This is a temporary solution until I can afford a second amp for the zone B
speakers. BTW I really enjoy reading your music reviews please keep up the great work.
© Axiom Message Boards