Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 01:14 AM
But not being hung on the wall.

Sigh.

Anyone have any guesses on how well a late model QS8v2 would pair with a QS8v3? (I know, take my own advice and call Axiom....)

I don't want to spend the money to buy a new pair.
Ken, i dont know what your talking about... That will buff right out...

V2 vs. V3 should similar.
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Ken, i dont know what your talking about... That will buff right out...

V2 vs. V3 should similar.

I'm sorry for the broken up speaker, but I gotta say....that was pretty damn funny.

PS For surrounds, I can't imagine there would be that much difference.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 02:20 AM
I should probably pick it up off the floor and see if any of the drivers are salvageable. Sigh. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Ken, i would tell you to inspect the drivers ect. if all the drivers and crossover are good, just order a new cabinet, and transfer the drivers to the new cabinet. i am sure if you e-mail Brent your photo, he will be more than happy to sell you a new cabinet. This way you can keep the same drivers/crossover while reducing your replacement cost....

Or just order a couple new drivers and use the existing crossover. i am sure you can come up with something that will reduce the replacement cost.
Posted By: fredk Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 02:50 AM
Or just send it to Mark. I'm sure he has some ginormous tool in his shop that can fix that.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 02:53 AM
Everything appears to be intact, but the crossover is glued to the inside of the cab--not sure how easy it would be to remove it. Worth ordering an empty cab with crossover, though, if Axiom'll do that.
Yeah, I'm sure they keep a bunch of v2 QS8 crossovers just laying around.

Right.

You didn't even TRY duct tape, did you?
ken, find out if the crossover is attached with hot glue or epoxy, if it's hot glue you can use a heat gun to melt the glue to pull the crossover for reuse.
This is all my fault. I was over on Thanksgiving and saw that the QS8s were mounted. I probably cursed one when I asked Ken if he had any trouble getting them to hook properly into the brackets.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 04:12 AM
Appears to be hot glue.
Good luck, let us know what you decide to do as far as a replacement goes.
That sucks. How/why did it fall?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 01:29 PM
I didn't get it fully secured on the T-bracket, as near as I can tell. The bracket and the wall are fine, so my guess is that it was just sitting on top of the mount rather than being in it.
Yes, please get it up off the floor. The fake cherry and the real oak look nasty together.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 01:35 PM
The oak's fake, too... it's Pergo.
Bob just lost all credibility.

Ken, I'm sorry for your loss. It's not uncommon to wait a little while before getting another one, so you don't feel like it was simply "replaced".
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Bob just lost all credibility.

Pergo IS a thin layer of real wood (veneer). Boston Cherry Vinyl is not.

I do agree about waiting a while. Allowing time to grieve is important.
There's real wood in Pergo? I thought it was all artificial.....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 02:13 PM
Naaaaaaahh... you can see the repeating pattern in my dining room floor!
Revolution #9.... The Beatles take on Pergo....
What I noticed with installing the QS speakers with the t-bracket is that it is very difficult for the speaker to "catch" onto the bracket without taking a pliers to the clips and bending each one out just a bit. It makes a huge difference in securing the speaker onto the wall...

Posted By: Amie Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 04:35 PM
I've actually had a couple of emails suggesting we should make a bigger deal out of how well the new bracket works for the QS8.

I think it makes the connection much simpler for wall-mounts. I guess it would be easiest to show in a video, maybe. Any speaker installation models out there dying to be on the 'small screen'?
I thought Alan was the go to guy for that, he did your banana plug video..
Amie, I could produce a video as an exchange of services! smile
Mark, wouldn't you still need some "talent" for it to be successful?

wink
Well, I didn't say that it would be worth more than 50' of speaker wire.... smile
Mark, why don't make a video and post it. Then let us vote on how much speaker wire your video was worth... Who knows, you may get lucky and end up with more than 50'. If your really lucky, you might end up in a sprint commercial wink
Its been a long time since I actually posted something but I read the forum almost daily. This is just one of those times I felt I really need to chime in. I had an epic 80 v2 system in 6.1 surround in my version 1 setup. When we remodeled the house last spring I was able to move to a 7.1 setup. I talked to Brent and they had some ver 2 drivers still around so they built me a QS8 ver 2 at a very reasonalbe price. Ken call them and see if they can do the same for you.
Well, then, since I've never installed Pergo and avoid stepping on it at all costs, I stand corrected.

So, now I really don't understand. If your fake wood speaker hit your fake wood floor,...

I agree with OBW. But I'd have him call for you.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/29/11 07:23 PM
Axiom's got a v2 cabinet in stock so if the drivers work, I should be ok.
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
What I noticed with installing the QS speakers with the t-bracket is that it is very difficult for the speaker to "catch" onto the bracket without taking a pliers to the clips and bending each one out just a bit. It makes a huge difference in securing the speaker onto the wall...

That's what I did and would also recommend to others.
You could buy my vp150 from the auction and use it in the place of the QS8
Posted By: fredk Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/30/11 08:09 AM
Oh, look. The new guy is being nice. Does that mean we have to buy some of his jerseys? I'm more partial to gurnsey's myself...
Hope your drivers are ok! Does the v2 cabinets in stock already have the v2 crossover glued in? That sounds like the easiest fix if your drivers survived.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 11/30/11 04:29 PM
That's the question. We'll find out...
Sorry for your bad luck Ken.

Having previously had a close look at my M22 XO's I would be surprised if your QS8 XO didn't survive; well as long as one of the driver cages didn't hit it upon impact.

I would be surprised if the cabinet has the crossover in it unless you asked for it. It would be another piece required to purchase seperately just like the drivers or the rear speaker connection plate, well the XO might come with the plate as it is glued onto it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 12/01/11 01:22 PM
Nope, they found one of those, so I should be good to go, assuming the drivers are ok. There were some tiny chips out of the shielding magnets on one woofer, but I'm not stressing on that.
Posted By: Murph Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 12/01/11 01:31 PM
For some reason your last sentence there was heard in my head in the voice of Scotty from Star Trek and I keep waiting for the "but...'something else is broken and doom is immanent'!!" line.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 12/01/11 01:39 PM
Well, at some point it becomes more expensive to fix it, but we'll see how far I get. Worst case, I have some spare woofers and tweeters for my other speakers and I spend $290 for a replacement Q.
Posted By: alan Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 12/01/11 01:51 PM
Ken, drivers are pretty hardy, unless they fall directly on the cone or dome and something pierces the latter. The surrounding basket (the metal frame at the back) protects the woofer, and the tweeter has a protective shield on the front.

Hope it all comes together for you, both literally and figuratively.

Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 12/01/11 01:59 PM
How about if the cone is kinda bent? At some point in the past, my kids managed to do that to one of my M80 mids. Haven't gotten around to getting a replacement yet--after all I still have a 1 year old who just discovered the joy of slapping the speaker grills.

No, I'm not putting down thumbtacks around the speakers.
But you could mount a parrot on top of each speaker cabinet, and teach it to say "Stay Away!". "Stay Away!". "Don't Eat Me, Squack!"
ken, what was the cost on a new cabnet?
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I still have a 1 year old who just discovered the joy of slapping the speaker grills.

Smart kid. I didn't discover that till puberty.
grin
Posted By: alan Re: It survived the trip across the country... - 12/01/11 07:00 PM
Ken, a slight bend or dent in the aluminum cone won't normally affect performance at all; even a dent in the tweeter dome won't materially disturb dispersion.

The only danger is if the bend extends down to the spider (which holds the cone to the voice coil and keeps it centered) and knocks the voice-coil off-center, in which case you'd hear a scraping noise when you manually push in the cone with your fingers applying equal pressure around the cone. You might also hear the scraping noise/distortion with some music as well.

Alan
© Axiom Message Boards